• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Nice Tiny House

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My concern with the tiny houses are the zoning and land use issues. I suspect Texas may be pretty favorable, but maybe it also depends on
the exact locality. But for zoning (980 square feet minimum living space where I am at) and restrictive subdivision rules I would own something very similar to the above cabin on my lake lots.

Nice little casa. I wonder how much it would cost to move one that big?

Wonder what 20 acres goes for down there? Isn't Terligua the home of the World Championship Chili Cookoff (or whatever they call it now) --CASI? As opposed to ICS Championshp which is more common up here in Illinois. t

first step would be to talk to a local house mover regarding the price to take it to a different property. Of course you also have to find a piece of property to move it onto.

I really don't think a 12 foot wide house is the best choice to go with if you want to have a tiny house. It would be better to get on the meets the DOT limits so that it can be towed without needing a special permit to move it down the road. For a 12 foot wide you will be involved with having to hire a contractor who is licensed, bonded and can get the permits and has a crew to deal with moving a wide load. Remember that is not sitting on wheels so it will have to be supported and then transferred onto a special trailer.

Personally I don't think it is that great of a bargain price for it considering all the trouble involved for moving it to another location. Especially not for moving it as far as Spur Texas which is 160 miles from Amarillo.

Hey I never said it was a bargain price...I said it was 'nice'...and it is. Maybe someone is looking for one of these, and could use this as a comparison. Some tiny homes cost TWICE what this one does...I've seen them. As far as moving it, yeah, it can get involved and spendy.

But there also was a separate question asked in this thread: where can tiny houses be truly tiny AND legal....and I answered that question, ie: Spur Texas is one place...I know there are others. I never said someone should buy this little house and move it to Spur. Although they could if they wanted.

And the other answers provided about land prices are much farther southwest, in the Big Bend Area....

It's just a discussion...and kind've appropriate given that so many nomads on youtube (and probably in real life too!) have been left twisting in the wind and are looking to settle somewhere, or at least, get some kind of home base.

There are dealer lots everywhere up here in Illinois that have these barn style 12' wide (maybe bigger) sheds or "cabins" (if they have a porch) for sale. I have looked at some-- all totally unfinished. I don't think it takes an act of God to move them otherwise they wouldn't already be sitting on every street corner for sale and available for delivery.
Example: https://cookstuff.com/build-your-shed/. These are largely unfinished, but the market is highly competitive. I would love to buy one of these to finish. My concern deals with having to move them off the land for violating minimum residence size. I am not talking about a mobile tiny house on a trailer--I'm not interested in those. t

They have a lot of those lots down here too. When I bought my shed, they delivered it on a very specialized trailer with channels for the runners under the shed to ride on. A forklift of sorts (specialized) was on the back of the tractor (in front of the trailer) and then they put dollies under the shed and used the forklift to maneuver it into place. The trailer actually had another set of trucks (tires) under it to jack the trailer up and move it sideways (in an arc around the 5th wheel hitch). Very specialized trailer.

I noticed the links for Spur TX talk about taking the wheels off. Are they really interested in dwellers moving there? Sounds like more for homes on foundation, not mobile dwellers.

I have a plan for getting cheap land and putting up a garage & carport. Can have the " facilities" in the garage side and camp in the carport side. Still a pretty big project to accomplish what with the zoning and all.
-crofter

crofter said:
I noticed the links for Spur TX talk about taking the wheels off. Are they really interested in dwellers moving there? Sounds like more for homes on foundation, not mobile dwellers.

Yes, the tiny houses in the city limits have to be non-mobile, attached to a permanent foundation of some sort.

Really, there are two kinds of tiny houses, 'THOW' which is a tiny house on wheels, which makes it legal (like an RV) in some jurisdictions, even tho it's really designed to stay in one place more or less permanently. They are rarely moved.

And there is the regular old garden variety tiny house, which has no axles or wheels attached...it might have wheels attached only during transit, or it might be hauled in on a trailer, or it might be built on site. This is the type that the city of Spur allows. And it can really be tiny...100 sq feet if that's what you want.

Out in the county, on your own land, you can do as you like.

crofter said:
I have a plan for getting cheap land and putting up a garage & carport. Can have the " facilities" in the garage side and camp in the carport side.

Maybe something like one of these?

http://www.bradleybuildings.com/rv.htm

In this area, many of these types of homes, essentially a large metal building with a small-to-midsize living area and a huge garage, are called 'barndominiums'...or just, 'barndo' for short, similar to 'condominium' and 'condo'.

I have a friend living in one...pretty cool.

Resized_20200513_144333.jpeg
The one we're working on is on skids and can be moved anywhere a truck can go. Right now it's at an rv park. Eventually we'll sell the trailer as we've found that the van is much easier to travel in. It's funny that we never would have considered something like this except for the coronavirus lockdown.
Ted

Attachments

• Resized_20200513_144333.jpeg
    Resized_20200513_144333.jpeg
    959.4 KB · Views: 15
Ted that’s cool! Do you have any pics of the inside? I’ve got a shed I’d like to convert into a tiny guest cabin.

you can legally have a Tiny House in the backyard of a residential house in Seattle. Not a tiny house on wheels but for sure one the size of the unit you showed in your link. Of course you need apply for a permit. It is called an accessory dwelling.

image000002.jpgimage000007.jpgimage000003.jpgimage000009.jpgimage000000(6).jpg
Photos of shed conversion:

Attachments

• image000000(6).jpg
    image000000(6).jpg
    441.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image000009.jpg
    image000009.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 11
  • image000003.jpg
    image000003.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 10