Newer then new

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seekerkeeper

Reaction score
I haven't set up my 2001 Ford Windstar minivan as of yet because this idea is all new to me. My hope is to start putting what I need in my van Spring 2017 so I'd  like to start buying little by little what I need so that I can live in my Van mostly to travel and stay in Michigan. I have environmental sensitivities and cannot use propane. All suggestion are welcome on everything? Just a thought...Can I use a small electric heater?

Welcome to the forums Seekerkeeper!
How do you plan on powering an electric heater?
Are you going to be in it year round or just 3 seasons?

Welcome to the CRVL forums! We have at least a few members with environmental intolerances. I'm sure they can help.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome to the CRVL Forums.   :) 

You'll have plenty of time to read, learn, and go shopping the yard sales and flea markets to find
lots of the gear you will need by spring of next year.  

If you have an electric heater and stay in places where there is shore power (electric service) at the camp
sites you could probably use a small electric heater.   Also a Dacron Polyester comforter on your bed
may make the cool nights tolerable there in Michigan. 

Otherwise you may need a generator of some kind for your electric needs if you are Boondocking or Rough Camping.

Hi Seeker, welcome to the forum.

Propane fumes get to me too but luckily I have a travel trailer with a propane furnace that dumps the fumes outside. In general a electric heater will require some place to plug in while in use. You could run a generator for the power but it would get pricey quickly. I do use a small bath heater for short times and a electric cooktop too. The thing is I have a large solar and battery system and even then I have limited use of those items.