Newbie w/ Qs on Pace, Belonging, & family in NE

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bster13

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

Financially independent (provided I'm spending ~$30k/yr), 37 yr old, single male here being drawn to the nomadic lifestyle.  I current reside an hour outside of NYC in a densely populated area.  I envision a mix of dispersed camping in scenic locations and visiting cities and friends closer to major cities. So while in more urban area there is the potential to stealth camp for a few nights here and there as well as stay in a friend's driveway.  All of my family is in the Northeast (less populated areas than NYC area) and while the day to day logistics of living out of a van, car, or travel trailer don't phase me (I enjoy camping quite a bit, and used to backpack a lot), a few things do...

- Pace.  I realize when folks first hit the road, I'm told then go nuts the first year or two checking off bucket list items.  But once folks settle down, I'm not quite sure I could stay in an area for say a month or so to limit expenses.  I think I'd get bored (I'm an extrovert.  I'd like to try remote boondocking, but I'm unsure how I'll fair).  Other than winter stays, what do you find most folk's pace settled out to be?  (my pace will also heavily dictate vehicle choice)

- Belonging.  I haven't found many women excited about living out of a van and in the financial position to retire early at my age.  Though I make friends easily and actually enjoy the company of older folks, I get the feeling there are nomads who have retired at a more traditional age, and then there are folks younger than me working while traveling... not much in between. Growing up my social circles revolved around sports, then around work after college, and around activities like backpacking and kayaking.  I know there is the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, and I read blogs about Bob's "tribe" out West all the time, but I don't find many Van or Prius caravans like say, the Family Motor Coach Association, or all the gatherings from folks at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/ for example.  Though I realize a lot of folks living the nomadic lifestyle enjoy solitude, I want a balance and having that social interaction is key to me.  Maybe I'm not tuned in yet?

- Family.  While reading about folks wintering in the Southwest or in Florida, I cringe a bit as my family is in the Northeast and during the holidays we traditionally get together.   I enjoy visiting them and I worry about being homesick and also guilt from not being closer to my parents to take care of them as they age and spending time with Nieces/Nephews.  How do you work your balance?  Are you making a full circle of the US, picking off new things to see each year, then settling down with your family for a bit?  I could easily spend a month "home."

- Vehicle. While I think a fiberglass Casita or Scamp would be wonderfully robust and great living quarters, I'm leaning towards either a Prius (great MPG to cover lots of miles, built in generator plus climate control....travel plans being dictated by hot weather would be a downer) or a cargo van (more living space.  Lots of folks here use them, so perhaps they ~are~ that good.  Better privacy and easier stealth.  Not a fan of 13MPG.) as I don't see myself paying for a month long campsite and unhooking my travel trailer while I explore the area with my tow vehicle.  A TT would also be a PIA in a city setting with parking and stealth.   Am I being short sighted by thinking, even once I settle down to my normal pace, I'll ~still~ be on the go regularly and covering lots of miles in a Prius?  Maybe I'm being short sighted w/ harder stealth camping or access to somewhat remote boondocking areas once my pace slows with a Prius?  Maybe the A/C in a Prius while I sleep isn't all that great (how could it not be?!)?

If you've made it this far reading my post, I thank you.  I appreciate any guidance you can give.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Bster 13!  This nomadic lifestyle is can be very different from one traveler to the next so my answers my be totally wrong for you but here goes:

Pace - I think a lot people, especially if they're retired and have a large enough pension or social security to allow them to travel, get into it thinking that they'll travel for a few years then settle down somewhere. So they want to see everything as fast as possible. If you know that you have years to explore it will be easy to set a relaxed pace. Find interests that are inexpensive or free to keep you from being bored if you want to stay put for awhile or boondock in a remote area.

Belonging - There are a lot of people your age who are fulltiming. Most do still work but usually online so they are not as tied down and are able to get together with other people who have the same interests. Try this site - http://www.technomadia.com/young-full-time-rving-nomads/

Family - You could fly home for the holidays, plan a trip into your travels or convince them to meet you somewhere. Vehicle dwelling makes it easy to visit friends and relatives who are scattered across the country but if your whole family is in the Northeast you may want to adjust your visits to coincide with warmer weather.

Vehicle - This is a tough one. It's hard to know what will suit you best until you actually start traveling and living in your vehicle. The smallest with the best gas mileage sound ideal but day to day comfort is important too. It's not usual to make a different choice after a year or so of vehicle dwelling.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and Welcome!! Lots to think over and consider, for sure. Best of luck! :D

Bster13 said:
Welcome, you've come to right place!

I'm answering in line in red:

- Pace.  A lot of that is that you were raised and indoctrinated in the Rat Race and so you have a "Time-clock Mentality". I know it seems normal and natural to you, but it isn't. The odds are if you allow it, it will ease and slowly let go of its death-grip on your heart and mind

- Belonging.  I haven't found many women excited about living out of a van ... I know there is the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, and I read blogs about Bob's "tribe" out West all the time, but I don't find many Van or Prius caravans like say, the Family Motor Coach Association, or all the gatherings from folks at http://www.fiberglassrv.com/ for example.  Your income opens up a lot of options for you some of us don't have. Because your expenses are so low, you'll be able to save a lot of it every month--giving you more options. 

I'd consider a balance of traditional and non-traditional like a nice B+ or Class C Sprinter towing a Prius or Toyota Highlander Hybrid. You can probably find a little more conventional female companion that way and then put the RV in storage to do your major trips and exploring in the hybrid. That way you'll be welcomed by the entire gamut of mobile community. The RV community loves the Sprinters and drive in with a Prius to the RTR and you'll be a hero!

- Family.  Again, your income opens up options. Put the RV in storage and fly home. I do that myself to visit my mom in Florida. Costs much less and takes less time to fly so I leave my van in the long-term lot and fly home to see her.

- Vehicle. I guess I covered this above. A Sprinter Class C towing a Prius or a Toyota Highlander Hybrid. If you find you like exploring the backcountry more, you might consider a Toyota Tacoma with a small camper instead or even a 4-door Jeep both would be in the ballpark of 20 MPG. You can take fairly long trips very comfortably in them and when you're done go back to the Sprinter Class C to live. Both would be okay for stealth when you are in cities.

Or, you could go with a minivan instead for it's greater comfort and superior stealth. Then you'd be in the ball park of high 20s MPG

If you've made it this far reading my post, I thank you.  I appreciate any guidance you can give.

Thank you all for your replies,  I really appreciate it.  Talking about pace some more... so what do you folks do for fun while boondocking on BLM land?  Especially when you are traveling solo?  I ~love~ being around people so I could easily sit around shooting the sh_t with others, but going solo.... I dunno, after a week I figure I've gone for my day hikes, I've gotten photos of the scenic areas.... what occupies your time?  I think boredom is what is mostly likely going to have me pack up and move on to the next area to explore.

As for vehicle choice... MAN do I love that Prius MPG, it's addictive (I hypermile my Honda Fit now).  Maybe I'd rock a Prius for a few years until my pace starts to settle, then once I'd done covering 20k miles a year :)p), I'd switch to a Van that gets less MPG, but has more comfy living quarters?

Also, I get the reason why the Western states lend them to such low costs (*cough* BLM *cough), but are folks able to pull off a very cheap lifestyle on the East coast as well?  Where do folks tend to hand out (I see National forests with dispersed camping as the only option for extended stays).

Thanks!

Bster13

If your considering a Prius I have lived in and out of my Prius this year for 3.5 months traveling 19,500 miles and 36 states and getting 52,1 mpg. I am currently modifying my Prius Campervan design for my next travels starting in January.

See my blog at macaloney.blogspot.com so you can compare a Prius with other forms of travel.

Brent

Pace and Places -- last year, my pace was often dictated by how far I was from the nearest town. In some places like Columbus, Montana, my free campsite along the Yellowstone river was literally less than a mile from the center of the small town. I would go in every other day or so for Chinese food or a great breakfast at the Apple Restaurant. Locals in small towns are usually friendly out west, so you can start up a conversation in many places if you make the first move.

Other places further from a town, I'd stay 4-6 days... a trip to "town" was necessitated by a desire for decent food and for wifi since I did not have a mobile hotspot then. LOL  If there is a town/city you enjoy, there may be a half dozen places within a few miles where you can stay a few days each to avoid boredom.

Don't forget that there are some great boondocking places (free) near many major attractions out west -- think places like outdoor sports meccas (Durango, Moab, etc.) or national parks (Flagstaff, Jackson Hole, etc.). There is usually good nightlife and other mingle opportunities in those types of places.

Consider things like volunteering at a state park or a wildlife refuge to meet people and have non-boring things to do.. sometimes getting a free place to camp in exchange. Or taking some courses such as in photography at many parks or natural areas out west.

Look at blogs like Van-Tramp's or Glenn Morrisette's (tosimplify.net) to see what other guys near your age encounter and do.  I believe over the last year or two both of them have commented about not lacking for female company. And Van-Tramp even found love .. visiting a few friends at an Airstream gathering I think it was. (He has a Captain's thread on this forum).

Non-Western States -- it is often more difficult to find free places but there are some secrets to help out. For instance, I found almost no Forest Service free camps in the state of Missouri. Then I learned that MO has tons of "conservation areas" that have free camping all over the state. If you enjoy Florida, then look at postings by Mr.LooRead here on this forum ... he's been providing detailed places all over the state to camp for free.

Vehicles -- You seem to know how the Prius is used so you may know about Suanne's blog  http://suanneonline.blogspot.com/    and also Brent's   http://macaloney.blogspot.com/  (he has a recent post on simple to add storage

Have you considered things like the Transit Connect?  A van but tiny one -- a couple of guys have build threads on here about how they did theirs.

It is a big, wonderful country we've got, and you'll find your own pace. Think about how you would LIKE to fill your days, and then research how to do that with a free place to park/camp near your activities.

Latest posts