Newbie retired astrophotographer from Atlanta

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeMardis

Reaction score
Retired two years ago and can't get away from the TV.  Have put on 15 pounds as a result.  Just bought a tear drop trailer and am planning to packup all my camping stuff along with my astrophotography stuff and head across country to the night time desert skies of Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and west Texas.  Am currently looking to replace my old Ford Ranger with an old Ford Expedition with 4WD to take out some of the risks.

Plan to do a local camping/observing with my rig in my backyard, and if that works out I'll head out about three hours to the dark skies of the Deerlick Astronomy Village to verify that my backyard test hadn't missed anything.  After those two shake downs this fall I figure I'll be ready for a cross country trek.

I've watched a lot of these videos on YT, but am only today logging on via my laptop.

I'm going to be poking around looking for two things.  1) fellow astrophotographers, and 2) fellow concealed carriers on the camping trail.  Haven't seen anything in his videos on either of these two topics.

Appreciated pointers on either areas.

Not too sure about the astrophotographer part, but there are several posts on the concealed carrier issue.  Each state has their own laws  on the subject.  There are also restrictions related to state and federal parks.  Be sure you check out each state you plan to travel through or to.

I hope you post your photos

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the CRVL forums MikeMardis! Traveling and doing something that you love is much better than sitting around watching TV. Taking it slow and trying everything out before going on a long trip is a good idea. I think you'll have a great time! For information on concealed carry check out the threads in the Safety on the Road section.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

Wowwwww amazing photos. I don’t think I’ve been near a dark sky since the 80s.

Thats nothing you should see what amateurs with money and talent do. This area of photography gets extremely expensive quick. Easily 6 figures.

Tony\ said:
Not too sure about the astrophotographer part, but there are several posts on the concealed carrier issue.  Each state has their own laws  on the subject.  There are also restrictions related to state and federal parks.  Be sure you check out each state you plan to travel through or to.
If this link works I'll try to figure out how to put it in my signature.  <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Michael_R_Mardis/embed/slideshow/Astrophotography"></iframe>

Elbear1 said:
Im a ex astrophotographer. I sold most of my stuff few years ago but seriously thinking about a small 400-600mm rig again. Just last night I broke my dusty camera out for some milkyway shots and my batteries have sat so long they wont take a charge. Grrr

Some old pics
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29552471@N02/albums/72157622959189646
Excellent pictures.  I mean really good.  Deep sky, planetary, and Milky Way on the horizon.  I've only ever done deep sky.
I posted a link to a slide show of most of my shots.  <iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://s1272.photobucket.com/user/Michael_R_Mardis/embed/slideshow/Astrophotography"></iframe>

Thanks. The photobucket thing isnt showing up well on my phone.

Wow, just, wow. Y'all are quite amazing - I can't even take a good shot of the moon. But my other stuff comes out all right :)

Oh, and welcome Mike! I got distracted by the National Geographic stuff from Elbear1.

"astrophotography stuff" Fascinating! I will be on the road in 6-10 weeks. I truly hope our paths cross so I can learn about your work. (Look for the retired zoologist whose camera is pointing down at the lizards and tell her to look up!)