New Member with question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am a new member and will begin my journey of living in my truck which is a 2001 GMC Jimmy,trying to figure out how to work out the kinks. But my main question is how do I maintain car insurance without a physical address?

I use a private mailbox place, and they'll send me an email if I get anything, then I can reply by email as to where I would like it sent.

There's a company in South Dakota (i think) that will rent you a mailing address, it was discussed on this forum a few months ago.  I don't know how to search the forum, but I'm sure someone else here will.  

Welcome to the CRVL forums Ivalentine! We use a friend's address as our home address but many people use a mail forwarding service. Unfortunately I don't know which ones are good but hopefully some of the people who use one will chime in.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Hi and welcome!

I've arranged for an address at a friends' house.

It's not just insurance companies that think you need a permanent home and don't understand that your address is 'on the road somewhere'... :rolleyes:

Governments on several levels for everything from your drivers license, tags and income tax all think you need to have an address. Health insurance needs an address. The bank thinks the same way as do credit card companies. It's easier just to go along with their needs, one less battle to fight.

In my case as a Canadian who will spend every day of my allotment in the US, I also have to be able to prove to the US government that I have a 'home' in Canada. One of my friends is renting me a bedroom that I will never sleep in so that I can stay legal.

If you're in the US then you can pick a state that suits you. A lot of people use Florida. There are companies there (and elsewhere) who provide legal addresses along with mailing addresses. I still have the name of the one that I used when I lived stateside if you need it.

I use the UPS Store as my address. The Bo's number is shown as a "suite" and on my bills it shows as an apartment number. I can have my mail forwarded anywhere by them. I've had a box there for the last 10 years or so.

Same here. I spend $11 a month for a lil box at the ups store. They will forward my mail ro any address in the country.