New here, old in every other way. :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yosarian

Reaction score
Did a bunch of various types of van conversions back in the days when the earth was still cooling and split window V.W.'s weren't selling for the price of a house. First was a mildly modded '58, 23 window, then a '64 Chevy G-10 Sportvan (think Scooby Doo Mystery Machine, only all black with a one-way cannabis screen in the back windows) that I bought from a Coast Guard machinist who was out of his mind and before his time. The dash was cap screwed aluminum plate with enough gauges for a small jet, added a ram air tunnel (also plate aluminum) to the "dog box" engine cover that brought fresh air to a small block 302 V-8 that he had snatched out of a wrecked Z-28, and then added a floor shifter to replace the old "three on the tree". He'd also cut the sides out of the engine cover to add more aluminum plate boxed extensions on each side to fit exhaust headers. There must have been 50 toggle switches on the dash for all sorts of lights and controls, and it all worked. Then he added two custom built steel 25 gallon fuel tanks to the inside walls and tied everything into the original tank, but you had to open the back to fill each one. I think I could afford to fill it all up maybe once! It was nuts, especially since myself and my friends were usually smoking something. Did up the interior for weekend camping, but nothing else special beyond a stereo, wheels and tires.

Built a couple of LWB 1 ton Dodge Tradesman interiors that were pretty standard for the time, which was mostly about having a shag carpeted rolling den of iniquity with good tunes and cold beer. Then did a Ford E into a camper for my little bro', converted an old bread truck into a stealth mini RV for a friend, and later worked with a bunch of guys on an old Schoolie before finally tackling a Greyhound conversion for our boss that was a nightmare of Biblical proportions.

Did some trailer work and a lot of 4x4 building while I was out west in the service, then came home and worked as a manager in a mobile home plant. Later built everything from custom homes that I designed, to private aircraft and boat interiors, furniture, trade show exhibits and museum display cases. Done a couple of custom work trailers and a few live-ins, but then I retired young and just recently got the bug to build something new and different, mainly 'cuz all of the new RV's so impressed me with what they're not. Got a big shop and lots of tools that I'd hate to sell, so Karma arranged fopr me to bump into a young fella with a family who needed a place to live and run his repair biz. Now we're gonna work together for a while til I get my projects done and he'll live in my place and pay me a stipend while I go off and have me one last great adventure. Works for all concerned; he saves money while he makes money without having to borrow, and I get a paycheck and keep my assets in tact, as well as always having a place to return to for doing repairs and whatever upgrades we decide we might need. He's gonna do our re-mailing and keep the place lived in, and if all goes well with his business, I'll sell him the place cheap and buy some land further south that I can drop in on when I come east.

Already seen most of the country by bike, but I wanna take my child bride around and show her the sights. Boondocking especially appeals, as I was a Survival Instructor back in the day and grew up in Scouts and the Appalachian outdoors. Diggin' the vibe here and looking forward to sharing and learning ever more. Only sorry I didn't decide to follow this path sooner, but better late than never.  :)

Hi Yosarian and welcome to the forum. Best of luck with everything!

"rolling den of iniquity with good tunes and cold beer"

Too funny... add to that the sound of a blown V8 on nitro... it's the music of my people...!!! Yeah, fellow motorhead here... and 3 eagle scout sons... Very cool peeps here... Welcome!

Welcome to the CRVL forums Yosarian! Sounds like an excellent plan! We all want to see what you will build so please posts pictures and updates as the project progresses!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.