New guy

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I have been watching Bob's videos for some time as well as others.  At his recommendation I purchased Nomadland and he's right, it's a good read.  I currently live in a 30 foot 5th wheel in Rocky Point Mexico.  Turned 60 in September and and lucky to be self employed in a business that a good portion can be done online.  Still I have to travel to Phoenix, 4 hours a couple times a month.  SSI says if I retire at 62 I'll get $1,500.00 a month.  So here's the story of where I am and why.

In 2009, when I would wake up on the first of the month, the bare minimum I had to make was $6,000.00, $3,000.00 of which was mortgage.  I was in a very unhappy relationship and wanted out badly, so I rolled a grenade down the hallway of my life and blew everything to hell.  Left the job that was paying $150k a year and the relationship.  I built a business with the idea that it would be mobile and I could do it anywhere.  Not want to repeat history.  Not enough cars, Harleys etc. so I starting looking for alternatives even in places where  I served in the military, Philippines, Thailand etc.  I wanted sustainability so my impact and expenses were low.

As a fluke I saw a Craigslist ad for this trailer in Rocky Point and started negotiating, but was hit with news my brother had liver cancer and his time was short. Six months later he is buried and I needed a break so I took a trip to Arizona's beach, Rocky Point and checked into a rented condo.  During that weekend I decided to see if the ad was still up and it was so I went and looked at the unit.  The park is small, about 600 meters from the beach in the quiet part of town.  There are some permanent structures and perhaps 7 trailers here.

As it turned out I had a job come in that weekend that paid the asking price of the trailer, $5,500.00 so I went all in.  Moved here in January of 2015 and keep only a small office in Phoenix.  My unit is at the end so my area is bigger than my neighbors, who do not live here, rather visit infrequently.  The square footage of the trailer is 150 maybe?  Fairly larger slide out with lazyboy and couch.  Full size refrigerator and 4 burner stove with oven.  The outside is fenced and walled with security cameras.  Three years and no issues of course the two dogs make a lot of noise is someone walks by.  We all look out for each other.

My patio is handmade bricks and I had a upstairs patio built that covers the entire area.  Stairs takes you up to the deck, but sadly there is no real view, just a breeze in the summer.  The patio has built in cabinets with an entertainment center holding a 50 inch TV and surround sound hooked up to Direct, Netflix etc.  There's an electric fireplace for ambiance and a propane fire table.  Assortment of chairs and exercise equipment to hang laundry on.  The washer and dryer is in a small cement area.  There total outdoor living area is about 1500 square feet I suppose.  Great for dogs and outdoor living.  I've had lots of plants put in and eccentric decorations provide color.

There is still the temptation for me to want more and bigger.  There's a quad and a kayak and a 1987 Dodge Raider the has the top cut off for beach driving.  This has all been an exercise in getting ready for retirement and I am hoping $1,500.00 a month will sustain me.  Luckily I can still work as much or little as I have to.  Here's how the finances break down:

$1,848 a year for space rent.
$100.00 every two months for electricity in the high months.
$25.00 a month for internet which includes phone service that includes the US.  I use my cell or Skype.
$100.00 a year for car insurance.

That's the fixed cost.  If you live like a Mexican you can eat cheap and I think I can live comfortably on $1,500.00 a year.  I'm a vet that's healthy so the VA will take care of major things when it's time, otherwise when I visit a doctor here, (twice in three years), the cost is $200.00 pesos, about $12.00.

I have no car payment, but needed the shocks and struts replaced.  US quote, $800.00.  Done in Mexico, $350.00.  Needed a root canal, god only knows in the US, Mexico it was $400.00 with the crown.

Each time I watch Bob and friends videos I get a wanderlust and so start browsing for vans etc.  Some vloggers are pretty honest that there's a real downside to it and I can see that.  When I go to Phoenix for work I stay in my office which is pretty small.  It's set up with a queen size futon, chair ottoman, microwave, desk, coffee maker etc.  Showers I go to the gym.  Office rent is $195.00 a month and gym is $10.00.   Last week I was up there for a whole week and it got old pretty quickly.  I can just imagine rainy days in a van or even worst, snow.

I'm fortunate that I got ahead of the curve, that is decided to live the way I do with time to prepare for the long haul. It's not for everyone, but I don't wake up with the dread of having to cover a $6,000.00 nut doing things for other people I didn't want to do.

All your stories are interesting, drop a line or if visiting say howdo and lets' get a margarita.

Welcome old gringo to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome CrazyOldGringo! That's quite a story! Thanks for sharing. I'm on the cusp of pulling the trigger on my exodus as well. Not nearly as far along in the process as you are, but compelled to continue on this path nonetheless. See you on the road?

db
~

Crazyoldgringo said:
So I have been watching Bob's videos for some time as well as others.  At his recommendation I purchased Nomadland and he's right, it's a good read.  I currently live in a 30 foot 5th wheel in Rocky Point Mexico.  Turned 60 in September and and lucky to be self employed in a business that a good portion can be done online.  Still I have to travel to Phoenix, 4 hours a couple times a month.  SSI says if I retire at 62 I'll get $1,500.00 a month.  So here's the story of where I am and why.

In 2009, when I would wake up on the first of the month, the bare minimum I had to make was $6,000.00, $3,000.00 of which was mortgage.  I was in a very unhappy relationship and wanted out badly, so I rolled a grenade down the hallway of my life and blew everything to hell.  Left the job that was paying $150k a year and the relationship.  I built a business with the idea that it would be mobile and I could do it anywhere.  Not want to repeat history.  Not enough cars, Harleys etc. so I starting looking for alternatives even in places where  I served in the military, Philippines, Thailand etc.  I wanted sustainability so my impact and expenses were low.

As a fluke I saw a Craigslist ad for this trailer in Rocky Point and started negotiating, but was hit with news my brother had liver cancer and his time was short. Six months later he is buried and I needed a break so I took a trip to Arizona's beach, Rocky Point and checked into a rented condo.  During that weekend I decided to see if the ad was still up and it was so I went and looked at the unit.  The park is small, about 600 meters from the beach in the quiet part of town.  There are some permanent structures and perhaps 7 trailers here.

As it turned out I had a job come in that weekend that paid the asking price of the trailer, $5,500.00 so I went all in.  Moved here in January of 2015 and keep only a small office in Phoenix.  My unit is at the end so my area is bigger than my neighbors, who do not live here, rather visit infrequently.  The square footage of the trailer is 150 maybe?  Fairly larger slide out with lazyboy and couch.  Full size refrigerator and 4 burner stove with oven.  The outside is fenced and walled with security cameras.  Three years and no issues of course the two dogs make a lot of noise is someone walks by.  We all look out for each other.

My patio is handmade bricks and I had a upstairs patio built that covers the entire area.  Stairs takes you up to the deck, but sadly there is no real view, just a breeze in the summer.  The patio has built in cabinets with an entertainment center holding a 50 inch TV and surround sound hooked up to Direct, Netflix etc.  There's an electric fireplace for ambiance and a propane fire table.  Assortment of chairs and exercise equipment to hang laundry on.  The washer and dryer is in a small cement area.  There total outdoor living area is about 1500 square feet I suppose.  Great for dogs and outdoor living.  I've had lots of plants put in and eccentric decorations provide color.

There is still the temptation for me to want more and bigger.  There's a quad and a kayak and a 1987 Dodge Raider the has the top cut off for beach driving.  This has all been an exercise in getting ready for retirement and I am hoping $1,500.00 a month will sustain me.  Luckily I can still work as much or little as I have to.  Here's how the finances break down:

$1,848 a year for space rent.
$100.00 every two months for electricity in the high months.
$25.00 a month for internet which includes phone service that includes the US.  I use my cell or Skype.
$100.00 a year for car insurance.

That's the fixed cost.  If you live like a Mexican you can eat cheap and I think I can live comfortably on $1,500.00 a year.  I'm a vet that's healthy so the VA will take care of major things when it's time, otherwise when I visit a doctor here, (twice in three years), the cost is $200.00 pesos, about $12.00.

I have no car payment, but needed the shocks and struts replaced.  US quote, $800.00.  Done in Mexico, $350.00.  Needed a root canal, god only knows in the US, Mexico it was $400.00 with the crown.

Each time I watch Bob and friends videos I get a wanderlust and so start browsing for vans etc.  Some vloggers are pretty honest that there's a real downside to it and I can see that.  When I go to Phoenix for work I stay in my office which is pretty small.  It's set up with a queen size futon, chair ottoman, microwave, desk, coffee maker etc.  Showers I go to the gym.  Office rent is $195.00 a month and gym is $10.00.   Last week I was up there for a whole week and it got old pretty quickly.  I can just imagine rainy days in a van or even worst, snow.

I'm fortunate that I got ahead of the curve, that is decided to live the way I do with time to prepare for the long haul. It's not for everyone, but I don't wake up with the dread of having to cover a $6,000.00 nut doing things for other people I didn't want to do.

All your stories are interesting, drop a line or if visiting say howdo and lets' get a margarita.

Margaritas! I'm in. I will turn 60 in Feb and wondering what to do with the rest of my life. So maybe somewhere along the way we can toast.