New guy, houselessness imminent.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guy Smiley

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the board, and getting ready to head out for the first time as a full-time van dweller.

In my case, it's a decision that I've chosen, not something that I've been forced into, I'm fortunate to be able to write.

My first memory of thinking about motor-based nomadic living was when I was hiking the Pacific Crest Trail in 2010. I hitched a ride to the large hiker gathering that occurs at the beginning of each hiking season from a woman that hiked that trail the previous year. She told me after her hike she couldn't stand the thought of returning to the office/work, sold her house and most of her belongings, got in her car and hit the road. 

At the time, I thought that was nuts. I wasn't really even a hiker at that point. I had only about 40 miles total under my boots.

2000 miles later on the same trail, a couple in a pickup trailer hosted another hiker and myself for dinner in their pickup-bed trailer. At this point, after traveling by foot for the previous 5.5 months, my mind had opened to the idea of alternative living strategies. Truly, I was dreading the end of my trip and returning to the corporate grind.

But I did.

Ever since, as my time in cubicles became less and less satisfying, spending 50-60-70+ hours a week coding for a corporation that claimed (conservatively) 95% of the profit generated by my intellectual product, I've become more and more disillusioned with the life that I've been living.

Which leads me where I am now. The job has been quit, my house sale closes next week, and I fly out to pick up the van that I've chosen, and off I go.

In my imagination, living out of a backpack for 6 months has prepared me for living minimally. I guess I'll find out whether I'm right about that or not.

Big thanks to Bob, and everyone else who've done the hard work of figuring out how to pull this off and make it work! It's real hope for people that need some.

you forgot to mention you are a muppet :p
welcome, sounds like you have made a perfect plan for yourself. Congrats!

You must be one of them Sacksville Smileys...

Welcome to the forum. What type of van are you getting?

tav-2020 said:
you forgot to mention you are a muppet :p
welcome, sounds like you have made a perfect plan for yourself. Congrats!

Are muppets not allowed on this board? I thought it was open to everyone... Is there a nomadic muppet board or sub-forum where I'll be more welcome? Maybe I've found my new niche. I'll start my own board: CheapMuppetRVliving.com! I'll be the Bob Wells of muppets! :)

Thanks!

Bud Smiley said:
You must be one of them Sacksville Smileys...

Welcome to the forum. What type of van are you getting?

I've found a used Sportsmobile that I've become smitten with.

It's got an advanced heating system that should serve me well. I know I'll be back in MN in the wintertime, and I love ice-fishing, cross-country skiiing and of course hiking in all seasons. I also have a deep desire to see Alaska, and maybe even take work fishing there, if I can find someone that would hire a green horn 47 year old.

Welcome to the CRVL forums Guy Smiley! It sounds like you have prepared well for this. Please keep us updated!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Fishing in Alaska? You sound like an adventurous guy! Good luck, hope you like your soon-to-be new lifestyle!

Before I got it in my head to buy a van and travel, I had every intention of blindly buying some piece of property in AK, and making an attempt at being a subsistence hunter/fisherman. I'm very pleased I talked myself out of that one... I haven't given up on the hunting part, but the blindly buying land... That would have been a major unforced error, most likely.
From what little I know of this lifestyle and community. It's completely full of interesting people. It reminds me of the PCT, which was full of people from all walks of life, but every single one of them had a good story.
It's not like that in a cube row in a big corporation.

After I walked the Camino de Santiago last fall (very slowly walked), life in a van offers much more room than a backpack. :) Keep making everyday an adventure and don't stop walking.

I'm still planning. Sold my Element to go to Spain.

Welcome, Guy Smiley! You've had some very positive experiences. I hope to have some in my future as well. Most of the people I have met are here today and gone tomorrow with very little, if any conversation.

LadyJo said:
After I walked the Camino de Santiago last fall (very slowly walked)...

I haven't been to Spain myself, but I've heard great things about that hike/pilgrimage. From the stories and photos I've seen, the history sounds intriguing and the countryside beautiful. If your doing it quickly, your doing it wrong!

I wouldn't call it a regret, but one the choices I had to make with the PCT hike was, complete the trail, or stop and take time to appreciate things thoroughly.

If you dawdle too much on the PCT, you get snowed out in the Cascades. Even so, I started early and finished late compared to most people who finished.

One of my goals going forward is to have a more even balance between experience and appreciation.

Hi; welcome!!
I know someone who commercial fished in AK.

A Savage Adventure said:
Welcome, Guy Smiley! You've had some very positive experiences. I hope to have some in my future as well. Most of the people I have met are here today and gone tomorrow with very little, if any conversation.

Thanks!

Positive experiences come from strange places sometimes. Climbers and hikers (probably others too) have a concept called "Type II fun".

Type I fun: It's enjoyable and brings pleasure in the moment.
Type II fun: It's fun to talk about around the campfire afterwards, but in reality was mostly suffering in the moment.

Being an aficionado of Type II fun is pretty much a requirement for long-distance hiking, and it sounds to me like there's at least some of that in this nomadic lifestyle that we're all either doing or considering.

Let's hope we're up to the challenge!

Gardenias said:
Hi; welcome!!
I know someone who commercial fished in AK.

Cool! Do you know what kind of fishing?

I know it's not a glamorous job, but my reasons are pretty simple.

My interests in living sustainably include a goal of only eating meat that I've caught myself. It's not something I've attained for anything but a short amount of time. The truth is, there aren't that many places on the planet left where that can be done. Alaska is one of them, so in my mind, spending some time in a fishing boat with an experienced crew might be part of the education I need to pull it off.

I really appreciate the warm welcome, from you and everyone else. I feel good about what I'm doing.

a buddy of mine says, "adventure is never fun when it's happening." for the most part he is right. highdesertranger

Those are the words of a individual familiar with the concepts of typed fun. :)

Guy Smiley said:
Before I got it in my head to buy a van and travel, I had every intention of blindly buying some piece of property in AK, and making an attempt at being a subsistence hunter/fisherman. I'm very pleased I talked myself out of that one... I haven't given up on the hunting part, but the blindly buying land... That would have been a major unforced error, most likely.
From what little I know of this lifestyle and community. It's completely full of interesting people. It reminds me of the PCT, which was full of people from all walks of life, but every single one of them had a good story.
It's not like that in a cube row in a big corporation.
Ever see any of those shows about living in Alaska and the communities there?  Lots of sketchy types.  And things that would probably not be considered by the naive, like me -- like, a home being in a flood plain.  All kinds of things that seem ordinary seem to people in regular climates look like they take a lot of hard work and luck in some of those Alaskan lands, and sometimes endanger one's very survival.

A lot about Alaska sounds great, but it's good you're thinking of preparing.  It sounds like preparation is everything.

Ever see a movie by Werner Herzog called Happy People?  It's about people in the Taiga, in Russia, as I recall, including trappers left out in the middle of nowhere by the Soviet government, on purpose, to make their living as trappers.  A really good movie on people doing some hard living and learning to be extremely resourceful about it.

Living in remote places requires knowledge because, very frequently, it's the only safety net available. Even if you can make a satellite call for rescue, if the situation is dire enough, it's probably not coming in time.

Knowledge or preparation (you can't have one without the other), in my experience, is the antidote to fear of the unknown.

Happy People is great film!