New and ready to go

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
For several years I have fantasized about living full time in a van or RV. I am just sick of my 9 to 5 rat race. I want to get out of the city and experiencing more freedom and more connection to nature. I was happy to find Bob Wells' book on amazon which lead me to this site.

I am currently 51 years old and still working to support my son and my ex-wife. But that will eventually change. My goal is to start now and buy my van and get it build and outfitted. In the next few years I can use it to go on weekend trips with my son and then eventually use it to live in full time.

I have decided to buy a van with a high top and design and build the living compartment the way I want it. I am still researching what van will be best. I am looking for mechanical reliability, enough room inside, high clearance for driving off paved roads and also decent gas milage.
I look forward to reading about people's experience with different vans on this forum.

How old is your son? How tall are you and your family? Pets? This makes a lot of difference on the design of your van.

There are front seats designs where you can make a bed out of them. The rest is cost and where you want to go. Start with something that you can sleep in and be safe. Try it for a few nights and plan, plan and re-plan.

Make it yours. Best, James AKA Lynx