NEW and Need Some Help and a Friend

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Up Ahead

Reaction score
Hello everyone....I am a 57 year young lady.  My name is Jeanette but you can call me Red.  I am in the Detroit area and I am planning to head West June 1st.  I hope to visit my brother in Sacramento.  I will be in a car and plan to sleep and live out of it.  This adventure will be a kind of trial run for me.  I believe (and hope) it will be a spiritual journey.  Is there anyone willing to call me?  I have so many questions.  I have done a ton of research.  I have never done anything like this before.  I want to see the beautiful sites along the way but I have no idea what there is out there.  I mean....I've heard of the Grand Canyon but that doesn't have to be a stop.  I want to see the sky at night with the stars so bright that they leave a shadow!  The song Rocky Mountain High says a lot about how I feel.  What are the cool sites to see from Detroit to California?  I plan on taking about 10 days to get there but that's not written in stone.  It is terribly important to me to meet and hang out with you'all once I'm over that way.  I just don't know where to go or where you will be.  I tried looking at the MeetUp group website but I don't really know how to work it too well and there are no dates posted for June.  I have no problem giving my phone number out but not sure if I should do it here?  Please help if you can...I'm getting really anxious about this and I don't want to fail.  

Thank you whole heartedly. 

P.S.  How do I add a thumbnail pic of me to my profile?

Attachments

• 20181224_171642.jpg
    20181224_171642.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 40
Welcome Red to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. yeah don't post your phone number for the world to see. if you want someone to have it do it in a PM. it's getting kinda warm in the lower deserts so you might want to avoid them. if you have any question is good to ask on the forum because you get a lot of different answers. there is really no one right way to do things, it's whatever works for you. highdesertranger

Hi Red!
I'm a redhead too. Lol, I never let anyone get away with nicknaming me that tho, so I definitely don't go by that handle.

As far as not to miss places, I'd recommend the following two -

Painted Canyon @ Teddy Roosevelt National Park. https://www.nps.gov/thro/planyourvisit/visitorcenters.htm

Devil's Tower https://www.nps.gov/deto/index.htm

There's a reason these two places are considered sacred by the tribes that live in the area. No pictures do them justice.

I'm sure more people will hop on here and give their recommendations for not to miss places along the way.

Happy travels,
~angie

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Hi Red and welcome to the party! :cool:

With questions, find the appropriate subforum and post away!

Have you planned your route yet? If not, freecampsites.net is a great starting point.

I can't give you my number because you're way hotter than my current girlfriend. She's the jealous type who doesn't appear to have any qualms about stabbing me with sharp objects repeatedly. I have to go, I just heard her pull up and she wanted me to have lunch ready. G'luck!

Welcome!
Roadtrippers is a great website to find interesting places and things, along your route, to explore
https://roadtrippers.com/

*Only in your state* also describes various unique destinations, by state
https://www.onlyinyourstate.com/states/

Roadside America guides you to oddball attractions
https://www.roadsideamerica.com/

I've used all of these when I've traveled across the United States and I love freecampsites.net's trip planner to find free camping along my route
https://freecampsites.net/#!&query=TripPlanner

Thank you so much for your time Cyndi. I really appreciate it.  Don't know why it's seems so difficult to navigate through some of these sites but will keep on...

:cool:

Feel free to PM any questions. I don't always log in daily, but when I see the PM I answer it. I sometimes get silly(see above post), but if you can overlook that, lol, I have some experience on doing this on a pretty slim budget. Best of luck Red!

Wabbit said:
:cool:

Feel free to PM any questions. I don't always log in daily, but when I see the PM I answer it. I sometimes get silly(see above post), but if you can overlook that, lol, I have some experience on doing this on a pretty slim budget. Best of luck Red!

That's awesome man, I really appreciate it.  Silly and me get along just fine :)

welcome to the forum Red! i think you will have a blast driving to Sacramento.
a friend of mine recently moved there and i plan to visit one day as well. along the
way there will be many awesome stops, Zion NP and Bryce Canyon in Utah are
special. good luck and enjoy the adventure!
jim

there is so much to see and do along a road trip. When you hit a certain little area, just stop and google that town....and check it's tourism. It will list the most popular around the area and you can get an idea if anything interests you and if yes, go see it :)

I am planning next summer going out to NM and painted desert area and then up to Colorado etc. and I am just googling little cities along our travel route and checking their tourism info. I found a few things we want to do along the drive. It is just a good way to know what little fun facts/sights are in the area you are passing thru.

have a blast!!

Red Up Ahead said:
Thank you so much for your time Cyndi. I really appreciate it.  Don't know why it's seems so difficult to navigate through some of these sites but will keep on...

The only one I've tried is freecampsite.net and get so frustrated with it. 
I don't know if it's because I live in TX and there's a lot of info to toggle but sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

I understand your trepidation. That's one of the reasons why I haven't been able to go very far from home.
Continue to ask questions and continuing reading every RV forum and FB page you can find.

Lots of support here and out there.
Best of luck
Rosie

If you are looking for stars drop in on the Bruneau Dunes State Park in Idaho. They have an observatory that has star parties on the weekends through the summer.

Hah!  I just joined these forums and this is the 1st post I read... I live in a suburb of Sacramento.  Can't wait to read about your journey.