New all electric VW microbus

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvpopeye

Reaction score
I just saw this in  Chuck Woodbury's weekly newsletter....subscribe at www.rvtravel.com it's free.

Bulli for you? If Volkswagen has its way, you'll have its new Bulli — an electric-powered microbus set to roll off Mexican assembly lines in 2017. With lithium-ion batteries tucked away under the floorboards and front wheel drive courtesy of a small electric motor, the Bulli campervan could go 250 to 310 miles on a charge. The VW Microbus will be shown in Las Vegas next month at the Consumer Electronics Show. And "promise!" — No footsie with emissions tests on this one!

I like the used VW camper vans for less than $15000. They look classic.

Breaking News....the EPA, while testing the new prototype VW found that it is only 'electric' when hooked up in the test bay....once on the road a hidden air cooled, noisy, flat four gasoline engine takes over. Technicians found that even though it was 'slow as a slug', they all agreed it would probably last forever! :p :p

Can't tell how large or small it is. It might be no bigger than a Scion xB.

If a Camper version of this does enter production,  I could see it as an interesting vehicle for those wanting to travel and sight see.   Especially if they abide the 2.2.2 method of travel. 

I'm wondering if staying in a campground with "hook up" (for electric and water)  would allow for a suitable recharge overnight.  With two hours of travel in that Van,  I'd figure less than 120 miles which would be about
half of the budget for the battery power supply.   If every other night was a stealth camp followed by another
120 miles of travel, then staying in a campground every two days for an overnight charge may make it viable.

But would the shore power supply be enough to recharge it  from 2 pm to early morning am ?  I could see
16 to 20 hours of charge on shore power.

Now whether the Camp Ground wants extra $$$ because it is an electric powered vehicle will be the question.
(I figure they are seeing their shore power as related to a few appliances, some lights, computer use, Cell recharging etc)

But I'm just guessing.

Yeah, it would be a poor boondocking vehicle, unlike vintage microbuses.