Need to change, fast

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1sulr

Reaction score
Hey,

My name is Tom, born in France, living and working in SF for a year and a half now, as an engineer. I'd like to explore US, Canada and probably South America real soon, like January 2018, for.. as long as it takes ! The sooner I can leave my job the better!

My initial idea was to buy a Cargo Van (like a E250 or similar), or a Conversion Van, already converted to a living space but I can't find anything within my reach (2K-6K$). Then I thought that I could buy a regular one and convert it myself but all the tutorials I read discourage me, I don't have a lot of mechanical, wood skills. And that is a strong issue I believe. First, to find the van and don't get scammed, then to build something that won't collapse, leak or burn in 2 weeks, and then on the road.. anyway, I am still motivated to pursue. I may find something with your help, and learn while traveling..

I want to do it because I love hiking, I discovered hiking in the US actually, so I am not experienced at all, but this love became too strong to only happen during the weekends, it makes no sense. It is the only that matters to me anymore, explore, discover.. 

I have so many questions.. the biggest one being : is that realistic ? Should I just rent a car and camp for few months then go back in France living a sad life instead?

Because that's the thing, as soon as I quit my US job, my visa expires and I become a tourist only able to stay in the US for 90 days in a row. So I'll have to go to canada or mexico every 90 days, and couldn't settle down in the US afterwards.. 

My English might not even be good enough for you to fully understand what I'm saying, but it worth trying.

For the van I don't have high standards, I am pretty skinny, I can fit in small spaces!

To give you an idea, I spotted this : https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/cto/d/2005-ford-250-econoline/6293191752.html but the owner doesn't answer, but it looks pretty fancy with the solar panel, wooden walls and all.. I don't know, what do you think?

So I hope this forum could help me, one way or another, if you sell or know someone who does, let me know ;)
Cheers.

Welcome Tom to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

well if you're a big hiker.....

the notion of needing to "build" is a sort of delusional or OCD drive. Especially for someone that lives to backpack. You need a stove, a cot, some totes for organization. Maybe a shitter of some sort. No grand build needed. You dont need big fancy solar systems, there's a 100w kit for like $130 and walmart sells batteries for $50-100. not like you're looking to watch TV and sit in AC 20hrs a day. So slap it together and dont worry about fancy. you'll have plenty of time to make it your own once you're out there.

in terms of your visa you will go into canada in the summer and mexico in the winter. It works out great actually and gives you a good reason to head north/south for the seasons.

Welcome 1sulr! The blue van in the link appears to be too pricey for the market and the simple interior build. That van may have been a labor of love constructing however unless it's a custom build, a person doesn't receive a major return.

Given your time constraints, why not buy a mini van? Better gas mileage for one and you did say you're skinny.

I have a name connection in southern California if you are needing a woodworker. Likely would save you a lot of money versus buying an overpriced built-out van.

PM for woodworking info.

great idea! a minivan can pull a pop-up if you really want to go big. an older one would be about the same price as a build...probably less. Much less hassle for sure. then you drop it in the shade and park the van in the sun with the solar on it too.

Thanks everyone,
What do you mean by mini-van, something like a dodge caravan? Where I'd remove the backseats? I didn't find any of this on Craigslist though.. I'll keep looking but if you have examples of the configuration that you have on mind, I'd take it. 
Thanks again for your welcoming ;)

Welcome, Tom,
Your American English is better than some native speakers one can observe online. hahaha

I tend to agree with Bardo's comments. You have learned to love hiking, so does that mean that you have backpacked and camped a lot in the outdoors? (Rather then day hikes where you go home at the end of the day?)

If you have this camping experience, you will probably do fine with a very minimum set up to get started with the smallest van you feel comfortable in. Look at things like clearance under it (to get to backcountry trails).

It has been years for me since I read Bob Well's book on vandwelling, but when I first read it, it seemed to me he covered the very basics you need and then added info if you want to be more fancy. It is not expensive to download his book and read it digitally. I only need to charge a laptop, iPad and phone, so I have only a large alternator to charge my house battery and that works fine since I drive every few days. Eventually I will get solar but it is not necessary if you are starting out simply.

Keep us informed of your thinking and new plans.. or feel free to ask more questions.

Oh, Tom... I also meant to mention that if you do go back to France, could you not continue to hike there? Seems I've heard of some pretty cool mountains in Europe. Just kidding you.

Tom, is it possible that you might take workcamping jobs so as not to lose your visa? There is a plethora of different options including housesitting, camp hosting and agriculture jobs. Or do you have to keep your current job to keep the VISA?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually I can't, my visa is linked to my company, I quit, I leave the country ;( That is the rule, I knew it before I came here..

But regarding the Dodge Grand Caravan, do you think I should remove all the seats to have more space and less weight ? I don't need 4 seats, at all!

Would you know the ballpark for a decent grand caravan? The year and the mileage I should target ? Something like 2005 and around 100k-150k ?

Thanks

Before you get too far ahead in your planning on a vehicle it might be wise to get your visitors' visas for both Canada and the US in place.

For Canada you'll need an eTA and at the time of entry Canada Border Agency will be very interested in how you're supporting yourself. If you  have no job they can either place a shorter limit on your stay depending on your cash reserves or deny you entry at the border. Be warned that their idea of how much you need to support yourself may be a very different amount than what you figure you need.

Getting a visitor visa for the US may be more difficult while you're in the US on a work permit than you think.

I hate bursting enthusiastic bubbles of our European friends but better now than if you buy a vehicle, plan your travels and then run in to all kinds of legal difficulties.

Thanks for the heads up, but apparently, only US citizens need an ETA to get to Canada, by land.. Europeans doesn't need it and have nothing else to show that a passport.
For the US, if I also arrive by land (not by air), it also should be pretty easy, as long as I don't stay longer than 90 days in a row.

But I agree, it is stressful for me to buy a car at the exact moment I will no longer have a visa or a job.. I looked for renting, and it can't be lower than $40 per day, with an end date. I feel like it is the opposite of what I want to achieve. I would like to be able to stay 1h to 1 week to a spot, without thinking to anything else than "I like it here", and not "Oh shit I have to be there the 23rd, I'd better hurry or I won't be able to see Mt Whitney".

Anyway I'll keep looking but I would be really disappointed to end up renting a mini-van at Lost Campers..

1sulr said:
Actually I can't, my visa is linked to my company, I quit, I leave the country ;( That is the rule, I knew it before I came here..

But regarding the Dodge Grand Caravan, do you think I should remove all the seats to have more space and less weight ? I don't need 4 seats, at all!

Would you know the ballpark for a decent grand caravan? The year and the mileage I should target ? Something like 2005 and around 100k-150k ?

Thanks

2005+ have stow and go seats. they fold into the floor. take them out and you got floor storage. Get whatever you can afford. my 2002 has 162k its fine.

1sulr said:
Thanks everyone,
What do you mean by mini-van, something like a dodge caravan? Where I'd remove the backseats? I didn't find any of this on Craigslist though.. I'll keep looking but if you have examples of the configuration that you have on mind, I'd take it. 
Thanks again for your welcoming ;)

Minivans:

Dodge Caravan,
aussi appelé:
Dodge Grand Caravan (long version)
Dodge Mini Ram Van (Cargo version)
Plymouth Voyager, Grand Voyager
Chrysler Voyager (as sold in Europe)
Chrysler Town and Country
Volkswagen Routan (Rebadged Dodge)

Other Minivans:
Ford WIndstar, Freestar
Mercury Villager (same as Nissan Quest)
Toyota Sienna (probably a good choice)
Honda Odyssey
Kia Sedona
Hyundai Entourage
From GM, all related platform:
Pontiac Montana / Trans Sport (I had a 1995, was pretty nice)
Chevy Venture / Uplander
Oldsmobile Sillhouette
Saturn Relay
Opel/Vauxhaul Sintra (European model)

Older Rear Drive models also called "midi" vans since they are larger (You can tow more with these, they have full frames):
Ford Aerostar
Chevy Astro /GMC Safari

Hope this helps

ZoNiE said:
)
Toyota Sienna (probably a good choice)
Honda Odyssey
Both are good, pay more but more reliable. Get a really good deal and if well maintained maybe sell later for around what you paid.

1sulr said:
I want to do it because I love hiking, I discovered hiking in the US actually, so I am not experienced at all, but this love became too strong to only happen during the weekends, it makes no sense. It is the only that matters to me anymore, explore, discover.. 

My English might not even be good enough for you to fully understand what I'm saying, but it worth trying.
Hi Tom,

Welcome to the forums.  I understand the hiking addiction,  it hit me real good in my mid 20's and I spent the next 7 years hiking as much as I could all over the country.  I'm not sure what's so fascinating about it,  all my non hiking friends thought I went crazy, but it's quite an addicting activity.  Then I got lyme disease and that has ended my hiking days, thought I've done some local 2 mile trails recently, so plan on building back up to the bigger hikes.  

That's a bummer about needing the job to stay here,  I really wish we were a little more friendly towards others wanting to spend time here, with out having to attach it to something like school or work.  

Your English and grammar are excellent, better than a lot of people born here, so don't let that slow you down.

You could buy mine. Already setup for vandwelling and in your budget. I have a build thread though it sadly hasn't been updated in a while. Was going to post for sale soon.
1997 2500 Chevy Express, solar setup, sink, camp toilet, bed/benches, bulkhead, curtains, closet, cabinet,front/rear AC, 12v Evap cooler, led lighting, tow package, etc
High miles but it has the venerable Chevy 350 and runs, drives, and shifts great. Might be a good option for you since you wouldn't have to build anything..

Here is the build thread. Sorry for the lack of finished pictures. I plan on taking some soon when I have the time. https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=25048

Just added some fresh pics at the end of that build thread actually. Just have to wrap up a few small things before posting for sale.