Near a new beginning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picopat

Reaction score
Hi! My name is Patrick, I’m a tinkerer and engineer at heart and soon-to-be full time van dweller!
I’m mid-career, married, no kids, and in late October 2016 I was browsing Reddit and happened across a video about a couple in their early thirties that had been traveling the world and living out of a van for the last 8 years.

I was blown away. How the hell did they do it?

I’ve always wanted the freedom to explore the world but freedom costs both time and money. When I was younger and had plenty of time but no money. Now that I’m in my 40s I found I had some money but so many commitments and added responsibility that I could never find the time. It seemed like a cruel joke that I just caught on to. Like most people, I looked for ways to maximize comfort while I waited for retirement to achieve freedom. This couple broke the rules and found a different way.

I shared the video with my wife and started doing research. Bob’s site was one of the first (and best) resources I found. We read a lot, watched a lot of videos, and spent hours discussing the pros and cons, and our hopes and fears. I believe, for us, it came down to honestly identifying the things we were most afraid of and either coming up with ways to mitigate them or just to deal with them head on. After a few months of consideration we finally made a decision to go for it.

We decided we needed a plan and schedule to make it a reality instead of just a daydream about the future. By February 2017 we came up with a plan to save money, downsize our possessions, build our custom stealth camper, get the house ready for our departure, and prepare for remote work opportunities. We ended up with a planned departure date of October 31, 2018 which lined up nicely with a long term project I have at work giving me the opportunity to close out some personal career goals. But “no battle plan survives first contact with the enemy”. Life happens and we have had to delay departure by a month and make other adjustments.

But now the scariest part is upon us. I will be giving notice at my job the end of this month (September 2018). The point of no return where we give up the security of a salary and benefits. But thanks to Bob and the members of the tribe we’re not stepping out into the unknown. Your stories, videos, and advice have helped us figure out what to do and inspired us to take a chance.

I’m looking forward to being a part of the tribe and lending my background, skills, and experience to contribute to it. Looking forward to meeting many of you at RTR in January 2019! 

Welcome to the CRVL forums! A thinker and engineer! You must have come up with some interesting ideas for your custom stealth camper. Would you like to share them here or do we have to wait for the RTR to see them in person? :) Have a great time traveling!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

would love to hear more about your custom stealth camper :)

best of luck and go for it, you only live once!!

Hi rvwandering and RoamerRV428!

Just to clarify I don't consider myself a "thinker" but a "tinkerer" as in I like to hang out in the garage and tinker around with stuff. I wouldn't claim to be that deep.  :)

Most of the build is more about customizing ideas I have gotten from the community. One idea I think is novel - at least I haven't seen it in any build videos or pictures - is a combination shower / composting toilet. The shower base is permanently installed on the floor and the composting toilet sits on a platform that rolls in and out over the shower base. 

The build isn't complete but here's a 3D model showing the toilet platform where it will normally be

And this is how it will look when we use the shower

After discussing all the trade-offs we decided that a van / trailer combination would be the best fit for us. We just bought the trailer last weekend and got this shot on the way home. (we stopped at a local brewery to celebrate)

I'm an electrical engineer so working on the solar setup has been the most fun for me. I haven't started on any of the trailer solar but here's a look at the 400W worth of panels for the van sitting on a custom roof rack I designed

And here is a good portion of the electrical install inside the van. Victron Energy MPPT 100|50 charge controller, Renogy 2000W inverter/charger, and two 100Ah 12V AGM batteries. 

For stealth purposes I didn't want any leveling jacks on the outside of the rig so I designed a bed frame that includes a some harbor freight scissor jacks to level the bed. The next three pics show 3D models of the bed and lower cabinetry, progressively hiding components and zooming in so you can see how the jacks are attached to the frame.
https://flic.kr/p/2b8oKVB
https://flic.kr/p/28nvfzY
https://flic.kr/p/28nvfx3

We took the van out for a test run a couple months ago so we loaded up the Whinter refrigerator/freezer and put an air mattress on the bed frame. Since then I have taken the bedframe back out to keep working on it but now that the frame is fabricated it goes in and out pretty easily.
https://flic.kr/p/2b8oKYx

Lots more building to go but thanks for the interest!