Mystery Water Leak in the Van...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luisafernandes

Reaction score
All day yesterday and night and still now, very heavy wind driven rain has created a leak in my van. It's not from anything I've done (I believe) since there's no leaks in the cargo area. If I had a leak where I built and screwed, and cut for the roof vent, then I would be seeing water there. But nothing. Bone dry.
The leak is coming in through the driver's side pillar, right at the tip of the roof liner where it meets the plastic trim peeled back in the picture;
aed7f51bf1645cc0e451808948c4ff34.jpg

No other part of the cab roof liner is wet except at this spot.
It has rained since in bought the van and after I've done all the main built, including the roof vent and I never had this problem.
I noticed it last night when driving to my night spot. Since there was little I could do I went to bed. But I kept thinking about it, and one thing I thought was what if the door wasn't closed properly? I closed it again just in case, and this morning I didn't have the big mess I was expecting. It was still wet, but no water all over the dashboard.
What could it be?
From the door?
From the seal around the windshield?

Get inside and have someone outside use a water hose on the van, and see if you can pinpoint the entry area? The window weatherstripping can wear with time and lose it's water sealing ability.

Could be the weatherstripping on the driver's door. Have you given the weatherstripping a good, close look with a flashlight? Even a small irregularity could let a drip of water in. In a sustained downpour even a little drip could become a big leak.

Another thought is maybe a tiny crack between the metal of the roof and the metal of the body.

I just made an appointment with the dealer.
The van is brand new, I've only had it for a few months.
I removed the headliner partially and the metal underneath is wet, more so by the drivers side and closer to the top of the windshield.
I think the windshield isn't sealing properly. That's better news than if the leak was inside the living area.

Water MIGHT be leaking around the vent and then running along between the roof and headliner until it finds a way out.

The vent is in the back and every few inches the roof has ribs that would stop any water from migrating all the way to the front. I think I would see a leak around the vent, or screws or on the sides of the ceiling plywood before it ever reached the front.

But if the water could travel between the metal roof and the plywood, then at the end of the plywood where it stops inside the cab, under the lining, I should be feeling it wet. It's not.

I've had several vans that leaked around the windshield...even though upon closer inspection, it didn't look possible.

Heck yeah, if this is a new van, I'd make a beeline straight back to the dealer. They'll hafta fix it.

Dang, only a few months old and it's leaking?? I'd be peeved! Even my freakin' old 1995 van is watertight. On the downside though, I've spent 3 times the used purchase price on various repairs. Ugh.

Have an appointment for Monday morning.
They'll probably look and blame the roof vent but I'm siting under it and there's no leak. There's just no way the water would travel from the back all the way to the front without one single leak in the living area.

When I bought my van I had a leak that drenched the center console and radio area. At first I thought it was an antenna mount, but further research brought me to the windshield seal leaking. I got some sealant and tried to fill it up, however instead of fixing it it moved the leak from the center to over the steering column.

I eventually gave in and had them remove and re-seat the windshield, and it hasn't leaked since. Almost every vehicle I"ve owned came to me with either a leaking windshield of sunroof, I don't know how people can ignore water covering the dashboard.

One place where the Ford vans leak is the cowling panel below the windshield. It rusts through, and water goes in beneath the instrument panel. That is one reason I finally decided against using my Dad's old 1986 E150, and bought the 1988 E150 Conversion Van - no such leak, the cowling panel is good. The Fords also commonly have the rain gutters rust out.
The door window rubber trim inside and outside the bottom of the windows also rots, and allows the water to enter the door. I need to order those pieces for '88. The driver's door inner wood panel is rotted at the bottom.

if your windshield seal leaks what you want to use is flowable silicone. pull your seal back where it meets the sheet metal, clean it real good then squeeze your silicone in be careful it flows like water. do the top and down the sides a little. this has always worked for me. if however you need a new windshield don't do this, have a new seal installed with the windshield. this also applies if the vehicle is under warranty, take it back like luis did. highdesertranger

A month ago, I had a major leak in my Ford van during a rainstorm. However it was in back, I could see the water running down by the back doors. But it wasn't the door seals. After the rain stopped, I found the problem. There is a brake light above the doors. I took it apart and found the screws were loose and a lot of pine needles and gunk had built up inside the light. Cleaned it all out, tightened everything down, and it hasn't leaked since. And the last few days were a major test with all the rain and wind we've been getting in Oregon. In fact a tornado hit an hour ago just across the border in Washington. I love wild weather! :) As long as my van isn't leaking.

Put ultraviolet die in water. It's clear except under black light. You might be able to trace I that way.

If you leave the A post trim off and show them the leaking, I imagine they would just reseat the windshield. Finding the leak is most of the hassle. They probably sublet the glass work anyway.

Getting the leak checked up. May or may not be able to fix it today if the windshield needs to come out, as they have to have an outside glass company perform that service.

d849c4eff3092ff8a18c18210835bd5c.jpg

Water leak found!
Not the windshield.
Not my roof vent!!!
It's the sealant on the roof water channel halfway back from the front on the drivers side.
They have to take the van to a body shop so they can strip off the sealant, reseal it and paint it white. Arrrrgggg!

7515b3051d2fb208cd0fb536208fc14f.jpg

You can see back there where the sealant isn't even, that's where the water is coming in.

Luis - OMG. What a nightmare on a factory vehicle. This is a clear example of why its so important for used vehicles to be inspected for mold. Water leaks that are not fixed can linger forever. You are just diligent enough to fix it. Others might have given up and sold the vehicle. The water leak would have been a mold disaster in short time. Glad you found it.

So anyway...the dealer tells me the the sealant from front to back has to come off, new one reapplied and painted because it comes in gray, and the van obviously isn't.
But...they are new at this location and aren't connected with a body shop yet. Since the new sealant needs to be painted I would need to go to one. So, they recommend I go to another dealer and give me the number to call them and schedule a visit.
Now, my first instinct when I'm driving off the dealer lot is to go to an auto parts store and get some sealant and do it myself. And in fact that's what I do.
I walk in, look for some sealant and find this stuff used to seal around windshields. As I read the label I keep thinking in the back of my mind -what if they really need to remove and reapply the factory sealant? What if this? What if that?- so I leave the store empty handed and go sit in the van, phone in hand and call the other dealer.
So...they tell me they have a body shop and if I want I can call them directly. I do that. The lady tells me to come in so they can take a look. I do that. What the heck, it's only another hour way, in a different state, why not?
One hour later I get there but...the guy who's supposed to look at the van just stepped out. Of course, why should he be there waiting for me? That would be just too convenient.
I wait about fifteen minutes, not too bad. The guy comes in, says hi, and lets look at the van.
He gets on a ladder, looks around and goes -you know, I wouldn't mess with removing the entire sealant. I would just use urethane sealant where it needs it.- and then he tells me that I would need to drop off the van. Meaning they would have the van for at least two days. Meaning I would need to lose another two days of work, or two half days since the guy is about 2 hours from my work with no traffic.
I left very disappointed with this whole thing.
So I took matters into my own hands. At RV dealer I bought two Dicor lap sealant and at an auto parts store I bought that windshield sealant.
Came home. Cleaned the factory sealant on both sides of the van. Applied the windshield sealant where the gaps were near the top of the sealant (turns out there was a gap on the other side also), and all along the bottom edge. An hour later I applied a nice bead of Dicor and...lets hope for the better.
If I don't get any rain this week, I'll just water it down next Saturday and see if it worked.
I still have warranty for a few more years, if this doest work, then I'll just wait for when I'm laid-off work to have it fixed.
Sheesh!

361c6ef03890ab708a4dd2af71103b8a.jpg

This is one of the gaps. You can see it near the top.
fc460cc74fe993c78c312457248bfe92.jpg

And here's where I applied the sealants.
678cd3cfc31db3e2ae5e85ce7a651894.jpg

f96777e59d97223e3786eff0e010837f.jpg

d347de6cc6a3ef6594a6793f262b0ef9.jpg

29ff558fa7defe45afa15bd81cad15d0.jpg