My Simple Van Build - MVB (Minimum Viable Build) Approach

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a "nice" build in mind, but after attending the Jan 2018 RTR half-built I realized it was already fully functional. Since there was no Wife Acceptance Factor and I wasn't trolling for a girlfriend I left it as-was.

Been offgrid in it for the past 1,261 days.

Here's a proper link to my video. Maybe the admins will fix my post above?

Build? This can be done very simply with no building at all.

Get an air mattress to sleep on the floor or get a cot to sleep on & bins that will fit under the cot (I like the 10 gal tubs).
Blankets and/or sleeping bag will make an adequate bed, blankets can be found at secondhand stores. Blankets will also cover the windows and the front behind the seats.

An LED headlamp (this does not have to be spendy at all), a camp chair (good in the back of the van and around the campfires), and a single burner stove for your coffee/tea in the morning. A cup you like is a good thing.
I have a TV tray for a table in back...

You'll get more and better ideas after you start, you'll run into people who can help and have done this already.

Keep in mind is that "too much stuff" is going to be your biggest problem. Bringing too much stuff is easy to do.

I meant to do this video years ago... I was so overwhelmed when planning my layout, I eventually went for a MVB (Minimum Viable Build) approach - and 6 years later... it's worked great! So wanted to share a tour in case it might help anyone get started! Stop worrying, go simple, and you'll figure it out as you go!
If I were going to make a video, that'd be it. I agree 100% with your philosophy. Spend a few hours putting something together then hit the road, modify as the need arises. I like the term MVB. Though my minimum is a bit higher than yours, it's still simple, cheap and quick.

I like your Minimum Viable Build. That's basically it. My minimum would just involve a couple more things that are easy to do: (1) Some type of toilet setup, which on the simple side would be a Luggable Loo type setup. (2) Some type of table/counter that you could set up so that while you are sitting on your bed, you would have a table to use for cooking, eating, perhaps computer work/writing. This could be a foldable table that stows next to the cooler, or something built in. You could set a single burner propane stove on it. Even for those who mostly do all these things outside, it's nice to have a table inside in case of rain or high winds or other inclement weather.

I like your Minimum Viable Build. That's basically it. My minimum would just involve a couple more things that are easy to do: (1) Some type of toilet setup, which on the simple side would be a Luggable Loo type setup. (2) Some type of table/counter that you could set up so that while you are sitting on your bed, you would have a table to use for cooking, eating, perhaps computer work/writing. This could be a foldable table that stows next to the cooler, or something built in. You could set a single burner propane stove on it. Even for those who mostly do all these things outside, it's nice to have a table inside in case of rain or high winds or other inclement weather.
I actually have a small table that stores right in behind the cooler exactly as you say :) I plan to do another video and I'll show it. You're right, it's super handy for both inside van and out.

If I were going to make a video, that'd be it. I agree 100% with your philosophy. Spend a few hours putting something together then hit the road, modify as the need arises. I like the term MVB. Though my minimum is a bit higher than yours, it's still simple, cheap and quick.
Nice! Yes, there is not MVB "standard" as it's different for everyone... the key is to not get sidetracked beyond yours with extra stuff that you see others have... unless it truly makes sense for you.

As I posted above. Simple, frugal, and austere builds that are reliable, meet your needs, and leave as little of a footprint as possible is all you need. My military background and experiences around the world in all types of (usually harsh) environments lends itself to the austere builds and staying simple. I guess the biggest exception to my cheap and affordable rule is that I put a lot of stock in power and service infrastructure. You do generally "get what you pay for".

Cheers!

Last edited: