my route 1st draft

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moonwolf65

Reaction score
well finishing up packing...heading out of VA up to WV and moms, figure i'll be there a few weeks, I've been collecting food and stuff for a while so I got to lighten my load can't haul it all.    when I leave WV will head down through TN to AL and MS then head north to SD and WY..always wanted to see the Black Hills kind of a kindred spirit toward the Lakota  (reincarnated)  always felt I am living in the wrong century.  From there I'll see ..either ID then down through NV to AZ  or through CO , NM then AR.  just have to see which way the wind takes me.  I know i'll probably go through NV at some point, I have family in the Reno/Sparks area that I haven't seen in years.   well that's my rough draft ...subject to changes and whims ..will post updates once on the road .  will be on old us routes as much as possible...I hate the interstates, they're for people in a hurry and I want to see the land not just fly through it at 70 mph.  take care all and safe journeys.
Doug  (moonwolf65)

I'd try to visit southern Utah if at all possible. Zion and Bryce Canyon National Parks wouldn't bee too much of a detour from the Las Vegas area if you're traveling from Reno/Sparks to Arizona, and they're definitely worth seeing. If possible, I'd do something like this from Vegas to Flagstaff: 

[img=640x480]

Just remember, you don't need to go everywhere and see everything within the first few weeks. There's plenty of time.

Craters of the Moon in ID and the Bonneville Salt Flats in UT would be on my list for that area.

I don't know how long the nearly nation-wide heat wave will last, but if you get to the West and need to escape the heat, you can't beat central Colorado. There are plenty of places between 7,000 and 10,000 feet. The higher you go, the cooler.

moonwolf65 said:
well finishing up packing...heading out of VA up to WV and moms, figure i'll be there a few weeks, I've been collecting food and stuff for a while so I got to lighten my load can't haul it all.    when I leave WV will head down through TN to AL and MS then head north to SD and WY..always wanted to see the Black Hills kind of a kindred spirit toward the Lakota  (reincarnated)  always felt I am living in the wrong century.  From there I'll see ..either ID then down through NV to AZ  or through CO , NM then AR.  just have to see which way the wind takes me.  I know i'll probably go through NV at some point, I have family in the Reno/Sparks area that I haven't seen in years.   well that's my rough draft ...subject to changes and whims ..will post updates once on the road .  will be on old us routes as much as possible...I hate the interstates, they're for people in a hurry and I want to see the land not just fly through it at 70 mph.  take care all and safe journeys.
Doug  (moonwolf65)

What time frame in TN to AL?

Doug,
You may have posted about your rig and such on another thread, but unless you are either going to have shore power to run A/C or you are visiting your mom for good couple of months, I'd caution you on the visits through the south before at least September.

The humidity is worse than the heat and the heat is bad. We've been experiencing heat index days of 105 and above. And worse, the nights don't cool down below mid-70s. My years of experience in the mid-South has shown me there is no way to sleep comfortably without air conditioning.

In my opinion --- or what I'd do if I was able to camp right now --- I'd get to the Rockies as fast as possible after the visit to your mom and then take time in the mid-South come fall. Unless you happen to enjoy sleeping in a sauna. LOL