My Poor Old Truck

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
The service manager just called. Seems that the high pressure hose that High Desert Ranger told me about is also in some way connected to the pulley system or causes issues with the pulley system and that, along with my running the power steering pump dry caused the failure of two serpentine belts.

He is explained in mechanics language and of course lost me quickly, after a fairly long list of things they repaired the pucker factor was growing exponentially. I had reserved $1200.00 for worst case scenario. Replacing belt, hose and tracking down all the issues on my truck, plus taking it to the wash before delivery..................$250.00. Plus wrecker fee but who cares?

Autoworx, Mansfield Tx.

Rob

I love it when things cost less than you think they're going to...especially THAT much less.

Great news Rob! There isn't much that's as satisfying as finding good, honest, reliable and affordable mechanics. They are getting harder and harder to find it seems.

^
Might be a good resource to post here somewhere...a list of good and honest mechanics across the country. I have a couple I could certainly recommend.

I think he cuts me slack because of the disabled vet plate, I don't know. I wouldn't want him to be short-changed, I'm not broke. I look like it a lot with the loose sweatsuits and things I wear, but that's just for comfort.

Rob

I travel 35 miles to go to his shop just because he is honest. Sadly a quality missing in a lot of shops.

You caught me by surprise with that bill !

Sounds like that Autoworx place is a KEEPER.
The list idea is a good one DE.
Do we already have something like that?
Have to go look.....

Maybe bestow him with an honorary tribe membership too...

DuneElliot said:
Might be a good resource to post here somewhere...a list of good and honest mechanics across the country. I have a couple I could certainly recommend.

I think this is a wonderful idea.  I've started a thread titled "New Sticky, Please" up in the FORUM ISSUES section.  Anyone else who thinks this is a good idea should post their agreement up in that thread.

If Gunny is happy with the work that RV place that MizMozy recommended to him, that should get posted there too . . .

Great news Rob! :)  I had a hunch something wasn't right with one of the pulleys.
Now, Back on the Road again. I can hear Willy in the background singing. :p

That's great Rob! I don't hear news like that often enough!

A person doesn't usually get nice surprises like that!

Another vote the a Reliable Mechanic List.

I just got back from picking up my truck. A new power steering pump, a new high pressure hose for the pump and some sort of pinion plus a new license plate light, giving the local constabulary no reason to stop me. Yesterday the Service Manager had told me $250.00 which was before the new light. And not including the 40 mile tow to their shop.

I'm figuring about $425.00 or so and a bargain at that.

When my neighbor and I get there the Service Manager who quoted me the price was at lunch, the owner was there. I hadn't spoken but a few words to him, he's always been friendly but busy.

So when I walk to the counter he pulls my bill and tells me $238.00. I look at the bill and there is no charge for the light, no charge for the tow. It can't be right. I have never knowingly beat anyone out of money owed. I told him about the tow and the light. He looks at the bill, tells me it looks right to him and puts $238.00 on my debit card.

My neighbor succinctly put it" DAMN".

I asked if he minded if I put his shop and number on this forum, he replied " Hell, yes he did, I don't want more business" then laughed like hell and said yes, list him and he would try and help travelers.

Anyone doubting this long, drawn out story I would be happy to scan the bill and show it.

Autoworx Mansfield Tx...

When the sticky is made I will put everything on it.

Rob

I'm wondering if a list would be better made with the name of the business (and maybe the owner/mechanic's name) and the location but maybe without phone numbers (which do change occasionally). That way the businesses don't get bombarded with calls, but those who really need a good mechanic can use Yellow Pages to look it up. A quick overview of the specialty maybe too, if there is one?

DuneElliot said:
I'm wondering if a list would be better made with the name of the business (and maybe the owner/mechanic's name) and the location but maybe without phone numbers. 
I'm thinking that might be a good idea for a sticky of recommended shops? State by state, listing the city, shop name, mechanics name, (maybe) and a phone number might be good for somebody broken down on the road so they don't have to waste their battery while finding help. If the engine is not running, the alternator aint charging.

Latest posts