My idea of a good time...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ttpadilla

Reaction score
Hey, that is an awesome site! I already knew they would have to come down on the price, but now I know how much. It says "Clean Retail: $5000", and Clean Trade In is only about $2950.

Thank you!

Years ago I made the mistake you're about to. I just want to be helpful so I  Googled 'Never tell the dealer what monthly payments you can afford'. Below is 1 result. There are many other hints on car buying to learn how to haggle. Good luck!

Http://blog.credit.com/2013/04/five-things-car-dealers-wont-tell-you-65909/

The minute you start talking monthly payments with a dealer you’re in trouble, warns Shattuck.

“If you tell the dealer, ‘I can afford $300 a month,’ all they have to do is play with the loan term and get you the payment you want without getting you a good deal on the car.”

Surfer, thank you. I thought of that last night and did some more looking this morning. There are enough used trucks in the area that I can probably trade in my car, give them $500 cash, and walk away with no payments, so that's my goal. The trailer will be a little more difficult, and I'll have to finance, where the monthly payments will matter, and I'll just try to pay it off as quickly as I can.

Not trying to be negative, but make sure to look into reviews on the seller. I didn't see many, but what I did see wasn't too positive. Hope it works out for you!

Thank you, that's a really good idea that hadn't occurred to me!

Something else to remember about dealers is that they assume you will be trading in and the price is jacked up to reflect that, making it seem like you are getting a good value on your trade-in. So if you're not trading in, you can assume you can get a lower price.

nana I know someone in your area selling a mid 90's chevy 3/4 ton 4x4. they would not take advantage of you, they will sell at a fair price, they have a complete maintenance record. I believe it has very low miles. I have driven the truck many times, in fact I drove it to Mt St Helens. let me know if you want more info. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
nana I know someone in your area selling a mid 90's chevy 3/4 ton 4x4.  they would not take advantage of you,  they will sell at a fair price,  they have a complete maintenance record.  I believe it has very low miles.  I have driven the truck many times,  in fact I drove it to Mt St Helens.  let me know if you want more info.  highdesertranger

I just saw this, sorry for the late reply. Yes, I would be interested in more information. Thank you!