My 1978 Tahoe Slow Refurb

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilD1954

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is my sun beat 23' 1978 Tahoe. Acquired aprox 15 yrs ago for a very decent price (free).
it came with 2 dead batteries and 2 bigger propane tanks that I had to update on the inside to comply with new safety regs.
First order of business for this thing is going to be tires, then paint. Most parks will not allow older trailers of this ilk.
Gotta spiff it up. it is going to be a larger project than most of the canned ham paint jobs seen on youtube.
although a good search reveals this video. a larger trailer than most and done in sections with spray cans.
I do own a generator, air compressor and spray gun. i'll see which is a better buy, spray cans or a gallon of something plus thinner.

a tip on paint start at the top and work your way down. just the opposite as that video. highdesertranger

WHAT 'CHA gonna do with it? how does the inside look?  I think you might need to repair that tarp ya got on it.  :-/  
                                      Have fun   :)    Texas Jbird

"it came with 2 dead batteries and 2 bigger propane tanks that I had to update on the inside to comply with new safety regs."

Nice trailer for a project.

I'm curious about the regs and what has changed. All new production has the battery and propane mounted on the tongue.

I'd use your spray gun and paint it yourself. Clean the outside with a brush and hose it down well. Mask off the windows and then lightly spray a primer coat and then a few light coats of finish color. Maybe even a two tone. Remember the Golden Rule of spray-painting, several light coats of paint are better than one heavy coat.

You know with modern paint you can do pretty good just brush painting the colored accent stripe a solid color after taping and papering white areas. I did my 18' trailer in a day or two and roof coated with white silicone put on some new decals. It came out pretty good!

matlock,
I'm curious about the regs and what has changed. All new production has the battery and propane mounted on the tongue.

it was a safety regulation for the inside of the propane bottles. I think it's for prevention of overfilling. I took mine somewhere to get them filled 15 or so years ago and they would not fill them without the modification. so for a nominal fee I had them upgraded. the tops were screwed off and something added inside. it was cheaper than new bottles.

PhilD1954 said:
matlock,

it was a safety regulation for the inside of the propane bottles. I think it's for prevention of overfilling. I took mine somewhere to get them filled 15 or so years ago and they would not fill them without the modification. so for a nominal fee I had them upgraded. the tops were screwed off and something added inside. it was cheaper than new bottles.

It was an overfill protection device that was inserted in the tanks.

Portable propane tanks have to be re-certified every 10 years IIRC. Also older tanks have to be retrofitted with the OPD before they can be certified.

It's an escape valve that prevents the tank from being filled past 80%.

here is part of the plan as I see it today. it could always change but without a plan I will fall into analysis paralysis.
since I am still working, I will buy some cleaning supplies and self etching primer. fire up the generator and air compressor. install dryer on air lines and primer the trailer.
paint to follow. in this region it should be done in summer while the humidity is down and in the a.m. when there is less chance of wind.
buy good tires for trailer. literature says up to 5500 lbs wet.
400 watts of renogy mppt starter kit solar.
it has a 7 gal. hot water tank and a furnace. need these gone thru. guessing I will learn it unless there is a book.
tri power fridge would be nice if it worked but I have a mini, or college dorm type fridge.
that's it for now.

couple of hints, if you are planning on taking this trailer off road I have had much better luck with LT tires on the trailer than trailer tires. I can't even tell you how may trailer tires me and my buddies have ruined on Nevada's off pavement roads. those 3 way refers are power hogs on 12v, the dorm refers are power hogs on any voltage. I would get the 3 way to work or go 12v. just my experience. highdesertranger

not really planning off road with it, but you are correct with the tires. carry spares. if the fridge won't work get one of the new 12v ones. these new fridges get good reviews.

Another hint on the existing fridge. I'm not a refrigeration expert so I don't totally understand the reason this works, other than maybe because Freon is heavier than air and settles. But anyhow, try taking the fridge out and turning it upside down for a few days to a week, then reinstall it and see if it works on LP. I've read a few stories of this working so it's worth a try. In my last camper I had a 3 way fridge - ran it on 12 volt only when driving as it could drain a good battery in a couple hours. Then switched to LP when stopped, even if just for lunch. It worked well and used very little LP. I just had to do a little more work than the 12 volt models, like lighting it, making sure the vents weren't in a direction the wind could blow out the flame, etc. It was also finicky about being level.

a note about flipping the refer upside down. when you flip it back right side up let it sit that way for a few days before trying to run it. highdesertranger