Mosquitos

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am not in mosquito territory but there are still plenty of insect pest flying around after dark and in the daytime. Last summer I found a small Solar with USB recharge option Bug Zapper. It came with a stake to put it into the ground. I never use it outside. I threw away the stake, flip it upside down so it rest on the flat solar cells and charge it with USB. Although on occassions I do lay it on its side with the solar cells facing out the sunny window.

It has been doing an excellently job of getting rid of the large and tiny flies, moths and other winged insects that try to sneak in at night to get to the white lights I might have on. Including attacking my lighted screen displays. It has been a terrific solution for less than $20. On small and silent zapper, the size of a big coffee mug, takes care of my little 13 foot travel trailer that has the interior space of a standard size cargo van. It will run on its internal battery power for 24 hours or more. It was an excellent and very affordable, chemical free solution to those pesky nightime creatures.

There are no mosquito issues where I camp in summer in the Flagstaff and Grand Canyon forested areas. Of course no mosquitos in the Quartzsite area either. But lots of moths and other pest some of which do bite.

Last edited:
I posted this on my original post here. You don't think this would be a good one for RV.
It is expensive. Instead of the store link. Here's the you tube. It's fun I think but expensive. Even asking to give to me from a family member as a gift would be pushing it.

If you are around some of the Dollar Stores you may find these small ceramic tea light candle lamps. Some have a cup shaped vessel on the top side where you could put a small quantity of water and a Menthol Eucalyptus Cough Drop and or a peppermint hard candy. There are even Citronella scented tea light candles you could use with this to have a safe & effective mosquito deterrent. And if you need a cough drop for a cold or sore throat you have a med or candy that can serve two purposes.

Mosquitoes do not like citronella, eucalyptus, and peppermint at all.

If I burn these things on my deck when grilling, mosquitoes and my cat stay away.

41JCaILq7nL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

...Or what do you use...
DeWalt 20v battery-operated HEPA shop-vac.
It also has a cord for 120vac.
Small and light, we creep on some landed flying-bug, then inch the 'SUCK' end of the wand at the intruder.
Slowly, their tiny wings get really tall.
Gradually, their tiny legs straighten.
A few quivers as they resist the pull.
Then -- suddenly -- they disappear.
Apparently, some kind of magic is involved.
This's sold 'bare', without batteries.
One battery was nearly a C-note (aka 'a yard'), but a package with a 1) drill plus 2) *TWO* batteries plus 3) charger was only us$56!
Go figure.
(This appears to be similar, but the copy says nothing about a permanently-attached internal cord for a 120vac wall-socket)
www.dewalt.com/product/dcv580h/20v-max-cordless-wet-dry-vacuum-tool-only
[edited to add]
At night, we use a Craftsman 20v battery-operated fan.
We set it on a shelf, pointed over the bed at the 'pillow' area.
www.craftsman.com/products/cmce001b/v20-cordless-jobsite-fan-tool-only
Again, this's 'bare', without a battery.
Fortunately, we have dozens of Craftsman 20v batteries to fit:
weed-whackers
chain-saws
impact g*n
... and at least a half-dozen other tools, including the DA (dual-action) orbital sander I use for one of my hobbies...
... polishing the cooking surface of a cast-iron skillet to a mirror shine.
www.craftsman.com/products/cmcw220b/v20-cordless-random-orbit-sander-tool-only
These Craftsman 20v batteries also fit our shower gizmo, a battery-operated garden-sprayer:

Last edited:
Skeeters require standing water. I avoid such areas.

Oddly, just as I started reading this thread, a UFI crashed into my face, Snuffed it with a tissue and extreme prejudice.

Lots of standing water in the desert around Tucson this time of year not to mention flooded crop fields. Took the grandkids out to see the different stages of eggs-tadpoles-frogs in the desert puddles yesterday. In another month everything will be dried up again and frogs will be up to 5’ underground according to some sources.

Even more odd, United Health Care just texted me to advise me that my forty year old adopted "child" requires a HPV jab.

Even more odd, United Health Care just texted me to advise me that my forty year old adopted "child" requires a HPV jab.
That actually makes some slight sense you would get that notice as they have now changed the upper age limit to 45 for all genders.
IMG_1773.jpeg

Last edited:
The past week I lit up those coils outside the van. No sign of any mosquitos inside. I don't like that smell though and it doesn't last long as advertised especially because of the wind.

Now I got another thing to deal with Ants lol. I'll search some existing threads.

The past week I lit up those coils outside the van. No sign of any mosquitos inside. I don't like that smell though and it doesn't last long as advertised especially because of the wind.

Now I got another thing to deal with Ants lol. I'll search some existing threads.
Ants are pretty pesky. Last summer I had to resort to using spray on some nests just outside my trailer as they established trails up the stabilizer jacks on my trailer and nothing else I tried worked to get rid of them. Not fond of poisons. It is usually better just to move camp but in some regions they are pretty much everywhere.

There are some nest right outside my current campsite but they have no interest in my trailer this time. I am careful not to eat outside and I NEVER set a garbage bag outside on the ground. Most experienced campers in this forested area hang their garbage up in the trees a good distance away from camp. That practice also helps reduce rodent issues.