More than moisture in my van.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
View attachment 5907
Have spent the last few months deciding on/selecting van, and making some very adventurous plans. And then, down came the rain, from the ceiling!

As I have been in the process of moving, I have had Dimples (my 2007 extended e-250) parked. Initially I purchased reflectix and was going to do the spray on adhesive followed by reflextix, followed by rigid foam insulation. But as I read more about reflectix I came to understand that 1) it just doesn't make a lot of sense to do it that way from a heat retention/insulation standpoint and 2) I had concerns about spraying adhesive everywhere and sticking shiny stuff to the Dimple's insides which I suspect would remain there forever (what happens if I wanted to resell it?). So I decided just to put up the foam insulation, and use the reflectix on the ceiling only. So then I got busy getting rid of belongings, packing things up, storage unit.. life. Poor Dimples, has been parked with nothing happening for several weeks. There has been snow on the roof most of that time, but it just melted off in the last few days.  A couple of days ago I opened the doors.. and I could have cried! My beautiful Dimples (hail damage/previous owner) wasn't just full of moisture, the water was quite literally raining onto the floor. Really. I dried all of the surfaces off with towels, did not remove plywood or rigid insulation which I assume is loaded with moisture, the floor is covered with a floor mat, topped with rigid foam, topped with rubber mats and I didn't remove any of those. I ran the motor with the engine heater for a couple of hours to try to dry it out. Don't have power yet and no access to shore power where I am at. I also threw 20 pounds of cat litter in an open container inside.

This isn't okay and is really upsetting to me! I know that moisture is a huge issue in vans from reading here. I am planning on having two roof vents installed.. but not for a while yet-was going to do it simultaneously with the solar install.

As I had already purchased a big roll of reflectix (was going to return it for a smaller one), I've decided to go ahead and put the reflectix up as a moisture barrier, I know, there are cheaper moisture barriers, but I already have it on hand.
Has anyone ever had to remove reflectix after it has been put on with spray on adhesive? Is it possible to get it off?

So now the plan is: Get Dimples dry (suggestions welcome!); reflectix all rear walls/ceiling; then rigid insulation; then another layer of reflectix on the ceiling.

I'm sick this happened, I had been working on the floor while it rained prior to the snow. I have also worked on it when I had wet hair. I don't see any leaks, but it's hard to believe that this is all from humidity.  I need to prevent this from ever happening again!!!!

Thanks everyone for whatever help you can give with my own private rainstorm!
GG

So a few things...

1) pictures would be helpful,
2) it sounds like only the floor is insulated, so I assume you can see the metal roof...what is preventing you from isolating water source?
3) really wet pressure treated plywood?
4) a '07 van shouldn't really have leaks like you describe, but without pics its hard to say. Three common leak sources would be rusted rain gutters, rusted damaged areas from hauling stuff on roof, and any penetrations such as roof rack mounts...

View attachment 5908
BradKW said:
So a few things...

1) pictures would be helpful,
2) it sounds like only the floor is insulated, so I assume you can see the metal roof...what is preventing you from isolating water source?
3) really wet pressure treated plywood?
4) a '07 van shouldn't really have leaks like you describe, but without pics its hard to say. Three common leak sources would be rusted rain gutters, rusted damaged areas from hauling stuff on roof, and any penetrations such as roof rack mounts...

Wow, Sorry, I'm new here. Thought I attached two pics, looks like neither came through. Just tried again, can't get them to attach, I wonder if I need to do a certain number of posts before it will let me post attachments?
 Only the floor is insulated, I have sheets of rigid foam, a couple are cut out for the sides, but not secure, just leaning in place. The plywood was just a sheet that I had cut into some pieces I was wanting.. and left in the van.  There are no obvious leaks, it's just that there is so much moisture accumulated on the ceiling that it is dripping (a lot) onto the floor. No penetrations to the roof, no rusted rain gutters.
Thanks again, GG

The attachment for your picture doesn't seem to exist. But if I may, it sounds like we're talking about different things. You've read that moisture is a problem in vans. That's true, but we're usually talking about the live-in moisture production which results from things like burning fuels (propane), cooking and even breathing. What you're talking about is your van parked in the cold and empty and water is running through it. You have a leak in the roof. When the van is the same temperature inside and out (as when no one is living in it) condensation isn't an issue. But you describe snow on the roof, surely it's melting and finding its way in...

A leak is a more immediate concern to fix. The "moisture" discussions you've seen are about an ongoing sort of life maintenance.

Clean your roof off and find the leak!

Reflextix needs "breathing room" around it to get the full insulation value. It is also moisture and mildew proof. If you do not glue it to the roof, but leave a space, you will get all the benefits I just mentioned. The humidity will also go out as you open the door. I have mine in my minivan, for example on the ceiling, in long sheets from the front of the van to the back. I have light weight bamboo poles across the minivan in the clothes rod hooks. The Reflextix lays on top of this. If you have several layers, you only have to run a Mr. Buddy propane heater about 7 minutes and the whole minivan says warm, in 15 degree weather outside, for about 5 hours.
I hope this helps.

Hello. I feel your pain, even though I have a very minor leak and I know the source of mine.

I think you probably have a leak. In a non rainy day, Go to those car washes that have a hose and self service, before make sure you dry your ceiling and walls with a rag, and shower dimples in every possible spot, even from beneath the floor. I think that may help you identify a leak.

In case that it is moisture,if you had a non removable floor / insulation on walls, I'd cut small samples in different spots to analyze level of moisture and make sure humidity isn't there.

If humidity is relatively new and u find no mildew, u may decide try buying a non rotary desiccant dehumidifier, like an ecoseb or evadry, they a bit pricey but, they, to my knowledge are the most powerful ones during winter season, even better than compressor based dehumidifiers. Run it for a few days and see if that helps.

If you find lots of mildew u may want to remove it even if you have to redo flooring

If those "dimples" broke the paint, you may well have a whole lot of micro holes in the roof letting the water (rain or snowmelt) dribble through.  Don't do any insulating inside til you KILL those leaks and prime/pint over any repaired holes.
Years ago I had my beloved '75 Firebird "dimpled" by a hail storm.  I got it home (was in the USN in NorVa at the time, and drove it back to Florida, then I puttied the dimples, and did a complete repaint.  It's not hard, just time consuming and labor intensive.
My two E150 vans have bad rusting at the rain gutters, but the good conversion van has no holes yet.  But I do need to fix it before I am doing the anti-rain dance too.  Florida has been very rainy the last couple years.

So your FIRST order of business is, find the holes/leaks!  Then fix them.

I could see a lightly/ barely insulated roof, with a Layer of Snow on top of it, acting like a beer can in humid summer weather.  Meaning the Airmass which caused the snow has moved on and warmer more humid conditions now exist.

If plywood on the floor got significantly  wet, then mold mildew  formation is next on the list.

If the Van has conversion van windows, these are known to be installed incorrectly and the 'window channel/gutters' could have been penetrated by an installation screw.  When it does rain, a portion of the rain which got into the window track and should have drained, could have found somplace lower to exit.

This happened to my Van.  

I think you need to get somewhere with power and get a dehumidifier going in there as well as a heater, and it might already be too late for the floor's plywood.

Which Is why I recommend sealing the plywood bottom  and edges before installation.

Paint the roof with RV roof sealant and see if that stops the leak(s).

Sounds like you need the RGX system from Digiray ( Reverse Geometry X-ray). The government detects aircraft cracks and corrosion for the F-117 Stealth Fighter this way! Think we could roll your van through this inspection?