Mobile tv

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Les H

Reaction score
Hi Gus and girls, I was looking at a 13" LCD tv with DVD player that is both 12v and 110vacat a Truckstop for $229 on sale. Since the changeover to digital, I have had no luck at all getting any reception anywhere. I already have a 13 tv/DVD combo that is digital reioever, with a "20 mile" indoor/outdoor amplified antenna, but it is a tube , not a flat screen. Does it matter? Mine is about 16" square, so a flat would take up far less room. And 110v flatscreen can be had for about $110( 9" or 13"). Is it worth buying a new one, keep the one I have, or throw the $300 at a used laptop with DVD built in and get a dongle. ( I always thought those were the low hanging parts of a southbound hound dog...) I tried a search, and nothing came up here, will try at vandwellers, but meanwhile, how do they work? Where do you get them? One time buy or ongoing subscription? Arrrgggghhhh , launching in 2 weeks, no time for lengthy investigation. thanks!!!!
Les

I would go a completely different direction, not knowing much about the tv stuff. This may not work for you, but perhaps it will at least give you an idea. What kind of cell phone and service do you have? I am planning to invest in a Droid charge (since I am with Verizon). This phone is the first I know of with an hdmi output, which means I just crank up Hulu and jack it into my tv or perhaps computer monitor. Netflix apps are coming soon. But this phone is awesome. It's also 4g capable, and 4g will be nationwide by the end of the year. With its mobile hotspot, you can simultaneously connect up to 10 devices wirelessly. If I sound like a commercial, that's  because I'm currently working for Verizon, but I launch in September and am honestly psyched about this phone.

When I first headed into the van, I thought of these same things. I went with the laptop, and a usb reciever. I have internet, TV, DVD, games, music, everything, all in one little portable machine. <br><br>I would personally go with the laptop.<br><br>I talk about some of the things I do in this post.<br>

don't forget about mini projectors! you can have a big screen that works with your computer. it'd be pretty easy to attach a pull down screen in the van, or just using a wall. They don't pull that much either if you're working of solar. <br>

I think I might be overdoing it, but hate watching tv on a laptop monitor. I'm installing a 32" flatscreen TV/monitor and bringing the Xbox 360 with. The TV will mostly serve up whatever I do on my laptop (browse/blog/record music).

FWIW, my last television was stolen out of my first van in 1987.<div>I have never missed it enough to replace it.</div>

I'm not really worried about theft where I'm going. Technically it's not the TV that I need so much as the monitor part. I haven't watched TV in about 5 years. Everything I watch is either streamed, on DVD, or downloaded.<div><br></div><div><br></div>