memory foam?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffabear

Reaction score
Those of you with memory foam sleeping surfaces, I have a couple of q's:

• Where'd you get it?
  • Is it a custom size? If so did you get it that way or trim it yourself?
  • What size are you using?
  • How do you like it?

Thanks!

We sleep on a full size Walmart air mattress (camping section) with a 3 inch thick memory foam mattress top, also Walmart. For winter, we use a heated mattress pad (leave on year round). The one I just bought the other day from Sam's Club is a queen size and it fit perfectly. The last heated pad lasted 6 winters. I like that our mattress setup is similar to sleeping in a heated waterbed. Downside to the air mattress is that it is cold and that makes the memory foam mattress topper AND the memory foam pillows hard. The heated pad softens them all up. We sleep under 3 quilts and a sleeping bag with temps around 60F or cooler.

I used it a couple times, and before that to fix an uncomfortable futon.
Cuts very easily with a serrated kitchen knife, or even an olfa(exacto) knife. Though a lot of the cheaper stuff has abrasive grit in it to make it feel heavier, so it can be advertised at a higher lb/sq inch rating(you can see sparks if you cut the cheap stuff with a bandsaw or power tool often) so don't cut with the good kitchen knives!
Just draw on it with a felt, and cut following the line.
I find it makes the bed feel much warmer, and wouldn't want more than a thin topper made out of it.

Fluffabear,

Bedinabox for really good memory foam mattresses. I've purchased two over the years from them and have been very pleased with them. One was a queen short for a motorhome, used as purchased. The second was a twin, 9" thick memory foam that I cut down with a kitchen knife to 30" x 68" (I am 5' 3.5" tall, 135 lbs) for my van. I also have a tempurpedic in my tiny TT (kept it and moved it into the TT when I sold my house).

Do I like it? Oh, yeah. I am a memory foam snob. Every ache and pain disappeared within a few weeks of sleeping on my first memory foam mattress. I will sleep on nothing else. I will do without other necessities before I'd give up my mattress. I tried the toppers -- bleh! Not even close! I cut them up and made dog beds out of them. A waste of money, IMO, those toppers.

Compassrose is right. They do get very firm when they get cold. Your body heat will soften it up, though. They're warm in the winter. In the summer, they are warm but I cover it with a plastic mattress cover and sheets and that helps.

Best wishes!

When making my enquiries, I was adviced to buy upholstery quality foam, rather than memory foam. Searched on the internet where I could get it, along the route I was about to take. Bought it in FL, just north of Ft Lauderdale. I gave them the measurements and they cut it to size while I was there. Even gave me the offcuts to make cushions out of.

It is 4" thick and cost me around $150. I made a sheet cover for it, with a view of getting a more permanent cover later. Can't remember exactly from whom I bought it (if you are interested I could see if I can find the information), but they had many options and gave me the pros and cons of each product. I then chose the 4".

Lifey

Seems I can't add to the post.

Meant to also mention how comfortable it is. I like a firm mattress. I have it on slats, covered with masonite pegboard, so that it has air circulating and I do not get moisture/mildew problems.

Lifey

I have a Tempurpedic too; back problems led me to try one and it is great for that. It was originally a queen, but when Wrenchhand moved into a hospital bed, our bedroom was too small so Son of Wrenchhand & I cut it with a utility knife to fit on a twin frame. Then when I moved into the van it came along.

I love the way it gets hard when it's cold! My body heat softens it up in the right places. It's lofted on top of two chests of drawers, and I have 2 down comforters on top. It's been plenty warm down to 18 degrees.

Thanks everyone, really helpful!

I have back/neck problems. I tried upholstery foam and it just didn't do it for me; I'm 5'3" and 165lbs and I sank right to the plywood.

I was browsing Amazon today and saw some decently priced 8" twin mattresses, but I would rather be able to test one before sinking what little dough I have to spare into an "internet deal". I think I might save by paying for the gas and hitting a store.

fluffabear said:
I have back/neck problems. I tried upholstery foam and it just didn't do it for me; I'm 5'3" and 165lbs and I sank right to the plywood.

That surprises me. I'm 5'5" and 75kg, and not had any such problem. Could it be that you were sold an inferior quality? or not thick enough?

Lifey

Upholstery foam over here that is sold non-commercially isn't high quality in my experience.

fluffabear said:
... over here ...

Where?

Do you mean the U.S.? Mine was bought in FL. I did not purchase it at a retail place. I bought it in a place which supplies upholsterers. I am still looking for a supplier of a similar product here....... Downunder!

Lifey

Lifemagician said:
Where?

Do you mean the U.S.? Mine was bought in FL. I did not purchase it at a retail place. I bought it in a place which supplies upholsterers. I am still looking for a supplier of a similar product here....... Downunder!

Lifey

The foam I used (first time) came from Jo-Ann fabrics and (second time) some upholstery shop in CA. I wasn't tickled with either.

I believe memory foam saved parts of my life. I have severe arthritis and could never kneel on any surface in my life...apparently I did not even crawl but was a hands and feet type four wheeler *laugh*.

I am on my 3rd memory foam mattress in 12 years.

First, expensive designer name...loved it, it lasted well...eventually cut down to fit a van which compromised its integrity and it deteriorated quickly after that. It was a 10", 4" memory, 6" high density...all are combos.

Second, a Walmart brand, cut it down very soon after buying it...another quick demise. 8", 3" memory, 5" hd.

Currently sleeping on a decent brand name that has been cut down for my van...it too is compromised as the factory edges are probably heat cut and the tearing action of (I use an electric knife to cut foam...like a hot knife through butter) cutting them down exposed more foam cells. I still love this mattress, will keep it until I get another. This one is 8", 3 1/2" memory, 4 1/2" hd.

I find them very hot all year round and use a feather bed or down duvet between me and the mattress and a cotton mattress protector on the mattress.

I would recommend trying before you buy but then perhaps see if you can grab the same brand online for a deal.

If memory foam is new to you one of the keys of its comfort is moving slow, as in rolling over if its a fast jerk the impression of your body takes a few seconds to refill. If you roll over slowly it almost helps you by filling in the negative space allowing you to roll smoothly.

My experiences from my body! Good luck and a great night sleep!!

FYI... there are places that will make custom mattresses. We were going to have www.murmaid.com make two mattresses for our popup. We didn't because they had to be thin and hubby said no more thin mattresses. We ended up using air mattresses. But the custom wasn't much more than a standard similar sized mattress. Cleveland, TN was local for us. I met lots of RV folks who stayed at Chester Frost County Park (Hamilton County - Chattanooga) while they got their mattresses at the Lee Hwy Store.

I second Bedinabox. Good quality and a good return policy if not happy with it. Best sleep I have had.

I believe bedinabox will custom cut a mattress. Try their website.