Maximum trailer length for a mazda tribute

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NALLS

Reaction score
Hey! I have a mazda tribute 2006...

Im curious what the largest trailer would be that i can pull with my setup?

I think all of my belongings to go inside probably weight around 300-400lb? Guess

I have this guideline but i dont understand it lol... im dumb ok please speak simply and keep it short ♡

1000011960.jpg1000011961.jpg

Im basically trying to find out what the longest and also lightest trailer pptions i can utilize for this vehicle... i want to find one to build a tiny home in

Im just confused because... the written gtw on the cars info is 3500.... which is suitable for a small 15-16ft trailer..

But not im seeing this info about how you can up those numbers and im wondering how true that is? Can i edit my tribute to have a gtw of 5200? Because thats like a 20 ft capacity and im about it! The more length the better!

Everything I found on the internet about towing capacity for your vehicle is showing a max tow rating of 3500 pounds.

So that's your limit.

The small trailer you choose will need to be no heavier than 2500 to MAYBE 3000 pounds empty.

Good luck.

Personal opinion is manufacturers often overrate. RV sales often fail to advertise shortcomings in carrying capacity. If you travel almost anywhere in the USA you will find steep grades both up and down. I towed a 7’ x 7’ X 7’ box 1/2 full of camping gear with a 2.7 liter 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma manual transmission truck. Fuel mileage dropped from 23 to at times 15 MPG. Top speed around 60 MPH, Total weight loaded was around 1500 lbs.and it was not enjoyable on the road. Tttnt.com has a towing section devoted to pulling small light weight trailers you could review. Again don’t let salesmen tell you what you want to hear and accept it easily. Go rent a Uhaul for a day and test what you have surmised.

Im just confused because... the written gtw on the cars info is 3500.... which is suitable for a small 15-16ft trailer..

But not im seeing this info about how you can up those numbers and im wondering how true that is? Can i edit my tribute to have a gtw of 5200? Because thats like a 20 ft capacity and im about it! The more length the better!

BTW the Mazda Tribute is a unibody SUV. (I looked it up) Most unibody vehicles are quite limited in towing capacity, some can tow very light trailers, and some are not rated for towing at all.

Consider the 3500# limit as a pretty decent rating. There are lots of options, but I would start by looking at the very light trailers such as the Casita, the Scamp, and similar, and of course you can probably easily pull any of the small to mid sized pop-up and A-frame campers.

I assume you are part timing, but if you are planning on FULL TIME, then you may need to look for a more capable vehicle if you want to bring along a lot more 'stuff'.

What I pull with my 4 cylinder Honda Element that has a much lower tow rating than your vehicle. Fully renovated inside with all new interior, solar, 12v fridge, diesel heat, sink, stove, new frame and axle with trailer breaks. When needed on level stretches of the interstate I can tow at 75mph but being sensible I stay in the trucker lane and keep it to 65. The steep uphill climbs I drop-down to 40 in the far outside climbing lanes as do the truckers.
You can do this, just start with a lightweight trailer and use light weight interior choices. It is insulated. My cabinets are framed with aluminum angle. The lightweigt poplar wood door frames have a Phifertex mesh insert that is lightweight, strong and allows air circulation for mold prevention. My new interior weighs less than the original that was constructed with 3/4” plywood for all the cabinetry. It tows like a dream, easily and smoothly, while tracking perfectly. In my design phase I made sure the weight of the trailer when loaded with my belongings was properly distributed and balanced for stability while towing. That is an essential part of the design, otherwise a trailer can be a dangerous pull. Having trailer brakes is essential for safety even on a lightweight trailer as it improves your load rating and your safety plus reduces wear on your vehicles brakes.
IMG_0743.jpeg
IMG_0442.jpegIMG_0684_Original.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    421 KB · Views: 0
Damn i guess i got ahead of myself lol... i saw those new numbers from my research pictures and was like.. heyyyoo!

My goal is to have something large so i can live in it and have a small office/printshop... im really good with small spaces so 16-20+ preferable... and i have this suv that i love but its doesnt pull well...

So im looking at large actual RVs and then maybe a motorcycle on the back for getting groceries etc... gonna miss this suv though i wish i could use it :(

Yep if you are thinking of mobile full time living and a print shop/office you need to go much bigger especially if you plan to save by boondocking and making your own power. Solar panels take a lot of space and battery banks can get heavy. Jimindenver I believe has an Excursion pulling a 20 some foot trailer with max solar, you might contact him if you go that route.

Yep if you are thinking of mobile full time living and a print shop/office you need to go much bigger especially if you plan to save by boondocking and making your own power. Solar panels take a lot of space and battery banks can get heavy. Jimindenver I believe has an Excursion pulling a 20 some foot trailer with max solar, you might contact him if you go that route.
True i didnt even think of all the battery weight !! Thanks... i may just scrap the suv and buy a used motorhome thats like 24 feet or something... was going to try and do a covert box truck but that alit to build in with plumbing electric etc... the goal was to drive it out to bc and then find somewhere near water i can park it... either a park or in the woods if i can... and live and work from it remotely

The box truck is the best idea in my opinion if you can insure it reasonably. A true box truck not the van front ones. Motorhomes are great if they don’t sit for more than a few days but a pain to maintain and much harder to find reasonable repair places. It just depends on your likes and dislikes and how much money is involved.

Jimindenver quit trying to tow that trailer everywhere, He gave up on that scheme several years ago. He did not like moving every two weeks in the summer because it is a whole lot of extra work.

Now he just tows it a few miles twice a year. In summer he is in a trailer park in Quartzite where he can plug into shore power to keep his dog cool with AC 24/7. In the winter he moves his trailer onto the LTVA just south of the town of Quartzsite. That move each direction is less than 10 miles.

^^^So high power solar is not really viable until high power smaller size solar is available?

1,500lbs without the factory tow package. 3,500 with factory tow package. Which probably includes better engine and transmission cooling, and better brakes.

Screenshot_20240704-162931~2.png
From trailers. Com

Screenshot_20240704-163154~2.png

On another note. I looked up your trailer Maki. Partly because I live about 10 minutes from where that ad was selling them.

That is a great little lightweight trailer you have. I know there are a lot of mods you have done. The bones are excellent. And lightweight. With your customizations, it's really a very cool setup.

Here's an entrance to the rabbit hole for those so inclined lol.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f91/trails-west-campster-weight-92119.html

In post number 2 the OP stated: "the written gtw on the cars info is 3500"

I took that to mean the OP saw the Gross Trailer Weight rating on the sticker inside the door jamb or inside the glovebox...or wherever the sticker is on that vehicle.

It's certainly possible that I assumed wrong, but that is the number I was basing my answer on.

On another note. I looked up your trailer Maki. Partly because I live about 10 minutes from where that ad was selling them.

That is a great little lightweight trailer you have. I know there are a lot of mods you have done. The bones are excellent. And lightweight. With your customizations, it's really a very cool setup.

Here's an entrance to the rabbit hole for those so inclined lol.

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f91/trails-west-campster-weight-92119.html
I fortunately found my way up out of that rabbit hole. It took a while but it looks like I need to revisit it as there are some other Campster owners searching for some missing and broken parts. One of those what does the engineering industry call that particular style of roller bearing? Last time I spotted an exact match for sale it was only available in Australia. If I have it bookmarked is on the old window 7 laptop I am traveling with.

Hey! I have a mazda tribute 2006...
...speak simply and keep it short ♡
...what the longest and also lightest trailer pptions i can utilize for this vehicle... i want to find one to build a tiny home in...
Weight:
Aluminum meets the road-worthy criteria for your frame material.
I see people creating live-aboard trailers to tow behind bicycles using foam-board.
83yo Swedish circumnavigating sailor Sven Yrvind built his past two yachts using foam-board...
... and he is building his next yacht using foam-board:

Length:
Space for storage?
Space for entertaining guests?
To please my eye, I like the balance of 'the trailer no longer than the tow vehicle'.
Height:
Increasing standing headroom puts more of the rig into the wind.
More windage stresses the drive-train.
Your tiny engine needs to operate fast enough to move air through the radiator.
Our full-time live-aboard interior is three paces across by seven paces long.
We are comfortable by doing many of our activities outside.

Latest posts