Making it (semi) official.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RamblingDog

Reaction score
I began my interest in vandwelling about2 years ago. We were living in CO and I was vending dog shows at the time. I was planning a MAJOR 8-week trip to vend a series of shows: Denver; Albuquerque; Las Cruces; Tucson; San Diego; Simi Valley; Stockton; Las Vegas; Grand Junction and home. Not only was I vending, but I had a pup and her mom along. Was finishing the pup in in show and debuting her in a couple of sports. Roughly a 3-month undertaking while hubby stayed home with the other 4 dogs. Your blogs were so very insightful, useful and often a Godsend.

Call me crazy, but I bought a 1994 Dodge B250 maxi-van with 137k miles on her for $1500 (I know, rear-wheel-drive in CO; what did this FL-grown girl know?), named her Babs the Barkmobile, took her home, loaded her up and left 2 days later. We had a few trials (overheating in AZ made us miss a show, which we made up for by spending a week at the Grand Canyon). A little bit of lonliness and feeling generally disconnected, but I kind of felt that way in our isolated CO home anyway. Overall it was an amazing trip I'd do again in a heartbeat.

Tragedy struck with last year's horrible floods in CO and we were stuck in that miserable little town living off porto-potties and air-dropped foodstuff few a few months. We lost nearly everything; but we have all the dogs! (And our health; and help from a LOT of great friends).

Now we're back in FL and I just started my own mobile grooming business, which will give me some time to travel and show/compete throughout the SE with my dogs. As a result of the new business, I needed Babs -- formerly the big, ugly, red(ish) stalker-mobile -- to be presentable to tow my groom trailer. A fresh white paint job and you can't tell she's a classic!

The long and short of it? Not sure I could ever go 100% vandweller because of my dogs, but I'm finally getting around to settling down to convert Babs to a livable alternative to hotel rooms where I have to constantly check for pills, needles etc on floor (dogs) and bed bugs (all of us). Here's the kicker. I have a lot of zeal and a reasonable amount of intelligence, but very little knowledge of how to do a lot of what I want to do. Hubby's an accountant and not a very hands-on kind of guy. Plus, like my trip out west, this is something I want to be able to say I did. I've already had the A/C converted and a couple of other things; and there's still some mechanical work to do too, but she and I have been through a lot, so she's staying.

SOOOOOOOO, I'll be here perusing the forums and learning and asking a LOT of questions (the generator on my groom trailer has already been one heck of a learning curve). Anyway, that's me. I'm sure you'll meet my K9 crew as I go along.

Thanks for reading.

Wags,
Christy

Attachments

• 03-2013 Babs-1994 Dodge B250 Maxi-van.jpg
    03-2013 Babs-1994 Dodge B250 Maxi-van.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Babs after - with Baby Babs.jpg
    Babs after - with Baby Babs.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 20
Welcome, Christy! What a wonderful intro, sounds like you've got a great handle on all of this.

I'm relocating to FL in the Spring, maybe I'll see you and Babs on the road.

Welcome to the CRVL forums, Christy! There's a lot of dog lovers, here, so you're in good company!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I would love that, Queen! Thanks Cyndi! Wouldn't know what to do without my fuzzies!

Wags,
Christy

I think my ultimate goal somewhere in the back of my mind is to be a working snowbird: winters here where the season is October-April. We have a little lease-option rental near the beach for a great price. I hate, hate, hate summers here though, so maybe a nice, seasonal mountain town like Highlands, NC (any other suggestions welcome!) for the other half of the year. Mobile dog groomer and a master groomer at that. Hoping to pull it off in the next couple of years and live in a small RV or TT on a bit of land up in the north GA, east TN, W Carolinas area.

Welcome, we're glad your here! Love your story and your van! It sounds like you are are a little alike, a life without a dog isn't a life I want.

I love the mountain country of North Carolina! Really great people! It gets a little warm there but it's a whole lot better than FL!!

I'd give a lot of thought to Asheville NC. It's beautiful and a large enough population to keep your grooming business busy. North Georgia is pretty too, but not as much population and not as high so it will be warmer.

We're here to help in any way we can!
Bob