LG has a 27" 4K computer monitor that runs on DC power

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJ452

Reaction score
While browsing Best Buy I came across https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-27u...nc-monitor-gray-white/6204328.p?skuId=6204328.

Yup, it has a power brick and the monitor in fact runs on 19V DC (direct current).  That's the same voltage as many laptops, now that's convenient.  In theory, one should be able to just add a relatively inexpensive DC 12V to 19V converter and be able to run them from the house batteries and bypass the inefficiency of an inverter.

Perhaps there are other 4K monitors or TV's that run on DC, I just happened to notice this one among all the regular AC powered ones.

LG also has a 24" smart TV that is powered by the same brick. I converted the tv to DC for use in the van. It also doubles as my desktop monitor.

I don't have any reply to biological comments but you sure can get a bunch more windows and information all visible at once on a 4K monitor over a 1080 one.

MrNoodly said:
The debate is whether humans can even see 4k.

As a former Brand Ambassador for Samsung TVs, you can definatley tell the difference in 4k.
Problem is, TV-wise, there's not enough 4k content out there yet.
But on computers, yeah you can tell.

rosiemartinez1211 said:
What type of antenna are you using to get a signal?

My old Roadtrek has a built in antenna from before digital.  I have never connected it.  I don't watch over the air TV anymore in real time as there seems to be as much commercial time as there is show.  I do have a Dish tailgater and controller that I sometimes put out to record current shows so I can skip the commercials and when out of cell range.  I mainly stream and I don't have to cast to the screen from another device using more precious electricity and adding complexity.  So to answer your question, I have AT&T and Verizon hotspots for antennas.  I am pondering getting rid of the Dish system because I use it so little but it is only costing me a little over $25 a month for basic programming.

About 10 mins of commercial per half hour by my guesstimations...lol

B and C said:
I have AT&T and Verizon hotspots for antennas.  I am pondering getting rid of the Dish system because I use it so little but it is only costing me a little over $25 a month for basic programming.

Thanks!