Least non-Toxic flooring options?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

One Awesome Inch

Reaction score
As I discussed today in my van build youtube video I have been reading about formaldehyde and its link to cancer and it has me freaked out. Its in most pressed woods. I was originally going to put linoleum over plywood but now Im having second thoughts due to concerns of offgassing and toxins.

Now I'm thinking of paying the big money of purebond plywood ($68 a sheet of 4x8 here in Vancouver). My local HD has oak purebond which should be pretty tough. I was thinking of finishing that with a stain or poly, but again concerned about offgassing.

What other options are there? Does HD or Lowes sell a less toxic version of polyeurathane?

Anything that doesn't breathe, so that it can dry out condensation all the way to the floors, will prematurely rust out your floors.

I plan on using purebond and leaving it untreated, then putting a thin area rug down that covers almost the whole surface...

Of course the rug will probably be toxic...

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Anything that doesn't breathe, so that it can dry out condensation all  the way to the floors, will prematurely rust out your floors.

In my experience condensation happens where the heat is ie the roof and since my floor is usually cold its not a problem. Plus if you seal off under the flooring with some sort of vapor barrier its a nonissue. Ultimately I'd rather have a rusty floor than risk cancer.

myke said:
I plan on using purebond and leaving it untreated, then putting a thin area rug down that covers almost the whole surface...

Of course the rug will probably be toxic...

According to that link you posted the lady used hemp oil. I am going to look into going with that over purebond ply as my base.

Just reread the title......   "least NON-toxic".
Hmmmm.......    Not quite what the OP desired, methinks.    :D

Besides the question of toxicity in the flooring materials, how many of us consider the toxicity of adhesives for wall/ceiling covering and insulation?  I see a lot of folks using various spray-on adhesives.
When my elderly Mom had her new vinyl flooring put in, I realized how much the adhesive itself added to the strong chemical smell.  That smell lingered for weeks.  I don't notice it now, over a year later.

hahaha Lee I just realized that too. "least NON-toxic". Hemp oil I wonder how the drug dogs will react to that? highdesertranger

Yeah big "Oops!" On the title☺.

Also considering a rubber floor. Wonder how much that off gasses?

As to the drug dogs... dope is going to be legal in Canada within the next year or so I believe. Personally I am not in favour of it.

Yes, the more adhesives and man-made materials you use, the more off gassing you will have. Use real cuts of wood where possible; use low-VOC adhesive spray and allow for plenty of ventilation for a while after you use it. I can't put anything in the van the same day I spray it with adhesive.