Learning and making it up as I go

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elaine K

Reaction score
After years of caregiving,  I am now free to be able to do something for just me!  It was privilege to look after both my husband and my father but it burnt me out emotionally and physically.  
I bought myself a used 2010 GMC cargo van to camperize after watching You Tube videos of so many who have done that.  It has proved to be a very slow process for me but it is slowly taking shape.   In retrospect,  it would have been so much easier to simply have bought an older class B camper van or a class C RV but I would have had an old vehicle with probable  mechanical issues.  ( I had this cargo van inspected before I bought it by a very trusted mechanic.  There was some body damage but it was all cosmetic and something I could live with.  The price was extremely reasonable so I bought it.)
Work done so far:  The floor has been insulated under the subflooring.  I glued down vinyl planks as floor covering.  Most of the insulation is now done -  including under the headliner in the cab area.  1/4" luan paneling has been installed on the walls and ceiling.  
My son helped by installing the Maxxair fan.  He also modified the Weatherguard roof racks ready to install my 310 watt solar panel on the van roof.
Next steps are to build, vent and secure a battery box to house my 2 Trojan 6v deep cycle batteries, build my bed/sofa, and finish my design and build of my cupboards, etc.  I also have to wire everything properly.  The rear doors and the side sliding door still need to be insulated and finished in some way.

I want to express my heartfelt thanks to all those who have been willing to share their experiences with building out their various vehicles.  I have learned so much!  
My husband & I had renovated 2 houses many years ago.  That was easier than this!  However, the skills I learned then are definitely serving me well now.

Attachments

• 20171007_123008.jpg
    20171007_123008.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14
  • 20171011_124623.jpg
    20171011_124623.jpg
    911 KB · Views: 19
Elaine K said:
After years of caregiving,  I am now free to be able to do something for just me!  It was privilege to look after both my husband and my father but it burnt me out emotionally and physically.  

Hi Elaine!  Welcome to this place.  You have a really nice rig.  I'm sure you'll enjoy the build process and the virtual community.  I took care of my late husband before he died.  I know where you're coming from about being burnt out.  It was "our dream" to camp into our golden years and leave civilization behind, and in that he couldn't be with me (at least physically), I didn't know if I'd travel this road on my own.  In the end, I decided that I would.  It was "our dream" but also "my dream."

For me, I want to be alone out there, not in groups and not meeting up with others.  I enjoy my time alone so very much after everything.  Not everyone is alike, but the only socializing will be on my computer...and even that, I may use less and less.

I hope you enjoy this incredible journey!

Wasanah

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

Welcome Elaine K. That's one great looking interior on the van. 310 watt solar panel on top. 2 Trojan 6 volt's. Big shout out to your son for helping on the Maxxair roof fan. You got it going on Elaine.

Proud of you, for the care giving to your husband & father. Family matters.