Land in Monroe County WV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BulldogPI

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, and live on the east coast.   I'm not in a position to go mobile but I respect the movement.

I have land in Monroe County WV and it's just sitting there.  Approximately 40 acres all told... one section has a good place to camp and park.  Cell reception is spotty from the property but a mile away or so it's fine.  There is a shallow well on the property, and a good navigable driveway up to the camping spot. 

Motivation:  To help out and make new friends.  I have an 800 watt Harbor Freight generator (2 cycle gas) I would allow use of intermittently during the stay, as well as a gas powered pump for the well.  I realize most of you are over on the Western side of the country.

Long term I'd like to explore being a 'digital nomad' so it would be in my best interest  to get involved with the RIGHT sorts of nomadic people.  I'm not looking for problems, or to create them.  There is a great firepit in the camping spot which I put in and I'd likely be nice and bring some basic food stuffs over during visits.  Not sure if anyone is interested in this offer or not. We'd have to work out details.

Probably should of mentioned the location in more detail. Lindside WV. The biggest town in the area is Pearisburg VA with a Walmart. The Appalachian trail is nearby and hikers are common during warmer weather. There are Wifi options in the area such as burger king, and possibly making use of my residential wifi which is accessible from the parking lot (apartment).

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

I tossed something up on Boondocker's, not sure if anyone will be interested or not.  I don't have a an electric hookup on the property this would be more of a primitive camping type scenario.  Just thought I'd make the offer. 

Thank you for putting that on boondockers welcome. East coast dwellers do have scarce boondocking.

During the depression, my family were farmers and had a small hay field people would camp in near the road, on their way to someplace better.
-crofter

I have a trip planned to WV but its in Shepherdstown, if your was in Northern WV I would take you up on the offer.

NOTE: My Mother is a direct descendent of Thomas Shepherd.

^^^Daniel Boone National Forest on the road into Zilpo Campgrounds used to have a boat ramp with over night parking allowed just past the turn off to the shooting range you might want to check out if you are on I 64 in Salt Lick Kentucky. Our old home place is about 40’ under the surface of the lake there!

I'll certainly keep you in mind when it warms up. I have family in TN/MS

Thank you!!

BulldogPI said:
Probably should of mentioned the location in more detail.  Lindside WV.

I'm hoping to make a trip east around June. Friends live west of Blacksburg,VA and in DC area.

Your location would be a good stopping point.

Welcome to the forum!

Bullfrog - I read your post and couldn’t help hearing in my mind dueling banjos.

Bulldog PI - almost Heaven West Virginia. My wife has many cousins there although I guess she’s not my wife anymore. We lived in Fulton County Pennsylvania just a few miles north of Berkeley Springs West Virginia. Lovely places In that state. Since I’m an East Coast Snowbird I might just look you up late next spring. Keep in touch we coasters need to stick together. God bless the nomads especially the East Coast ones.

Salt Lick Kentucky is just on the edge of the mountains. To give you an idea of the kind of people there when one of the young men from there was enlisted in the Navy and killed in the 911 attack on the Pentagon the population was probably less than 1,000 people. It was estimated 12,000 people lined the route of his funeral procession took to his family graveyard. Mostly former military and distantly related. They keep track of 5th and 6th cousins back there cause it matters! My grandmother was one of the 150 McCoy cousins.

^
On the route from Blacksburg to where my friends live near the New River you pass McCoy,VA.

BulldogPI said:
I tossed something up on Boondocker's, not sure if anyone will be interested or not.  I don't have a an electric hookup on the property this would be more of a primitive camping type scenario.  Just thought I'd make the offer. 
Very nice of you. I went to college at WVU and met some of the finest folks there. That whole region is just beautiful and I am considering finding a place of some sort myself nearby in Tennessee near Va. If I don't just return to the wandering of the west.

bullfrog said:
^^^Daniel Boone National Forest on the road into Zilpo Campgrounds used to have a boat ramp with over night parking allowed just past the turn off to the shooting range you might want to check out if you are on I 64 in Salt Lick Kentucky. Our old home place is about 40’ under the surface of the lake there!
Cave Run Lake! I used to live up in a holler in Rowan County.

BulldogPI, welcome! You live in beautiful cave country! I frequent the Lewisburg and Blacksburg areas quite often for some subterranean exercise.

Friendly group of people. Yes, I'm familiar with McCoy (outside of Blacksburg). Actually I was surprised at how remote it is to get to McCoy. Before all the virus nonsense it used to be a very popular place to go tubing along the New River.

I think when van dwellers have their van jamborees it's usually a lot of vehicles. The property I'm talking about is big enough for several but not 40 Plus :D. Possibly two vehicles at the top of the hill and a couple at the bottom. There is a shallow well at the bottom with water that would be fine for washing, just not sure about drinking. Once I flush it for a while with my gas powered pump it runs pretty clear. I'd like visitors and to learn things from Van Dwellers. I like to think outside the box , and exchange ideas. For now I'll keep my computer job (they are moving me to the world of remote support though and I'm not sure how I feel about that). I get the impression one problem with life on the road is obviously money ..and the lack of it. I'd actually get a kick out of providing a couple community meals for between 5 and 10 people. I mentioned the firepit right? During warm weather It would make a heck of a place to grill some burgers /hotdogs . Plus I have a sportsman generator in storage (3,000 watts) and a harbor freight 800 watt small one that I'd share with the visitors. I'm actually thinking of buying a second harbor freight. Hey here's something everyone might want to know. Harbor Freight is discontinuing (or already has) the tailgators. I'd get one now if you want one. They aren't good for sensitive electronics but are great for running an 8 amp battery charger. I like the idea of solar, sure... but generator might be more reliable in a lot of situations, at least during the overnights.

Bullfrog MY grandmother  was the granddaughter of  Randell McCoy. She was a baby in the house when the Hatfield attacked.

My grandmother’s family was raised in Short Branch Kentucky after moving from the Tug Fork area and intermarried into the Worthington family. We settled in Flatwoods Kentucky but I spent a lot of my youth half way between Louisa and Paintsville. I had to move 3 states away to find someone I wasn’t related to to marry! Funny thing was when my wife’s mother passed we were sorting old family photographs And I saw places in Ashland Kentucky I recognized, seems her family had passed through on the way to Arkansas where I met her.

Bullffog She moved to lexton got married  and then moved to mingo county WVA so her husband could work in the mines. they had 14 children and 4 of the girls marred. Hatfields

My dad’s family had 9 kids and my mom’s had 11. I was an only child, the exception. Family reunions were like going to a county fair with for many years 5 generations in attendance. I never went to the McCoy/Hatfield days in West Virginia as they didn’t start those until after I was gone in military service but was glad to see they started to try to get along. I sure used to get my butt beat when I would visit my buddy in West Virginia who was a Hatfield if his cousins happened to find out. It was a tough place to grow up.

Latest posts