Ladder to get up on top....Std Vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can climb on the roof from my front doors. Step right foot on the seat, left foot on the dash board, grab the ladder rack that is right there and use it mostly to hoist my weight so minimum is on the dash board. Works fine. If you don't have a ladder rack a large gate handle bolted to the roof at just the right spot will do the same thing

I use it mainly to climb on the roof and take photos when I need to see over something. I RARELY clean my panels. The biggie is pollen season--they get really bad then.
Bob

akrvbob said:
I can climb on the roof from my front doors. Step right foot on the seat, left foot on the dash board, grab the ladder rack that is right there and use it mostly to hoist my weight so minimum is on the dash board. Works fine. If you don't have a ladder rack a large gate handle bolted to the roof at just the right spot will do the same thing

I use it mainly to climb on the roof and take photos when I need to see over something. I RARELY  clean my panels. The biggie is pollen season--they get really bad then.
Bob

That's impressive Bob, I swear on my ford just putting some weight down with my hand and the sheet metal is starting to flex. 

thanks for the comment, appreciated. 

Mike R

I have a telescoping ladder. Easy to store, very sturdy and so easy to extend & retract.

The more I check around the more I am certain I will use modified steel treestand ladders that I know are safe for my weight.  NOTHING I have seen from any store or Amazon will hold me.  Being a Big Guy gets challenging at times.

I'd like a ladder to be able to wash and wax the roof on my sprinter, and trim branches that are too low for the sprinter.  I thought about making one from pvc pipe and using bungee cords to keep it on my ceiling.  But the 2 compact ladders posted in this thread are very interesting..

I use an 6 step rock climbing ladder (ètrea) attached to a longer length of webbing.  Webbing is thrown over the roof and attached to the opposite side of the camper.  Whole setup fits in a small bag, weighs under a pound and when I bought it (1974?) said to support ~1000 lbf.

-- Spiff

I figured out my ladder arrangement last night. Built it out of PVC board and aluminum square tube. From inside the van (or standing on the ground), I just open the passenger side rear door, stand on the bumper, pop one foot onto the spare tire while hoisting my weight from the lowest square tube, and climb up the three rung ladder.

I thought about a collapsible type deal. But this has an added benefit: Two people can sit on the edge of the roof, rest their feet on the rungs, and enjoy a drink while overlooking a lake. It's not just my roof ladder, it's also my deck.

iJ4baZk.jpg

LeeRevell said:
Cool idea for those with the dexterity to do it.  :cool:

I showed that ladder to an associate of mine today. He's about 6'3" 250lbs and in his early 60s. After I climbed up to the roof, he immediately said "Cool! Can I try?"

I admit there was a bit of trepidation in the back of my mind at the prospect of a gorilla attacking my fiberglass-mounted ladder, which I so nimbly navigate. But without much difficulty, he grappled on to those rungs and hoisted himself up, and after a couple of protracted grunts, he was on the roof and my rig was no worse for wear.

I like this design because It's always right where I need it when I swing the door open, no moving parts to contribute to wear/strain on bolts (and by proxy, increased chance of leaks), and because as a static platform it's available as a footrest when I sit on the roof.

TMG51 said:
I showed that ladder to an associate of mine today. He's about 6'3" 250lbs and in his early 60s. After I climbed up to the roof, he immediately said "Cool! Can I try?"

I admit there was a bit of trepidation in the back of my mind at the prospect of a gorilla attacking my fiberglass-mounted ladder, which I so nimbly navigate. But without much difficulty, he grappled on to those rungs and hoisted himself up, and after a couple of protracted grunts, he was on the roof and my rig was no worse for wear.

I like this design because It's always right where I need it when I swing the door open, no moving parts to contribute to wear/strain on bolts (and by proxy, increased chance of leaks), and because as a static platform it's available as a footrest when I sit on the roof.

Nice that it worked for that light-weight fellow.  But I see, in my mind's eye, myself losing my grip and suddenly hanging upside down with a foot caught in the loop, head banging on the ground or bumper.......   :blush:
As always, different choices for different folks.