Kukri vs Parang which is better for Camping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver

Reaction score
Tora KTM Royal Gorkha Army Kukri

KTM_RGA_kukr_with_ck_T.600.jpg

vs
[img=525x525]http://www.unitedcoldsteel.com/uplo...nmanbushcraft.co.uk/1/1371736279_55.jpg[/img]
Parang Knife
vs
[img=750x500]http://themachetestore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/tt4014.jpg[/img]
Tramontina 14″ Bolo Machete

I was thinking of buying 1 for chopping wood.
I already have the Condor 2 hander : Condor Discord Machete
[img=750x489]http://www.themachetestore.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/condor-discord.jpg[/img]
& the Cold steel Bastard (1 & 2 Hander)
"Bastard Swords were developed in the mid 1400's as a form of
long-sword with specially shaped grips for one or two hands"

"In many computer games (usually role playing games), there is an item called a bastard sword.
Why is this name used, and does it bear any relation to the usual meaning of the term bastard?"

pACE3-951761dt_zpscbce6e3b.jpg

kinda what it is made for
double bits cut better but not so good for splitting,splitting maul and wedge for actual splitting,single bit does a little of both

I really don't see any of those as practical for camping. I have my machete, can't remember the last time I used it and you really shouldn't be out there hacking stuff up. now if you just want a bad ass knife, either one will work. for a bad ass knife I have my K-bar. for chopping wood I like my Estwing ax, I got tired of replacing wooden handles. highdesertranger

Seems about as useful as the wire saws, snakebite kits, magnesium firestarters, and all the other useless crap that newbies think they need but then never use once.

A good folding pocket knife is far far more useful.

Other than looking super-cool, I don't get what those knives are for. Knives really aren't for chopping, they are for fine cutting. Unless you are in the jungle, a good 4 inch knife, a Sven saw and a hatchet will work far better in my opinion.

The right tool for the right job.

Anything with an exotic name must be better. ;)

akrvbob said:
Other than looking super-cool, I don't get what those knives are for. Knives really aren't for chopping, they are for fine cutting. Unless you are in the jungle, a good 4 inch knife, a Sven saw and a hatchet will work far better in my opinion.

The right tool for the right job.
For the most part, I agree with this sentiment, however, I do have an older Kukri style blade made by Black Jack. I made a bet with a friend that I could sever a 4" tree limb with one whack. I won that bet. The friend didn't pay up either.
Anyway, the point I'm making is that the Kukri style blade is usually a very aggressive chopper. I have no practical experience with the Parang, but it seems it would be on par with a machete.
OTOH. I have a GB small hatchet that fits inside my pack for small chopping duties.

Guess I'll be the voice of dissent here. (Or maybe I'm just super cool?) Big knives have their place in a campground. I also carry an estwing axe, it's great for chopping wood or taking small trees.

For smaller stuff, branches, splitting instead of chopping, a big knife can be very handy. Even with firewood it's sometimes easier to be accurate with a knife and hammering it through than it is swinging an axe. For these reasons I have a Himalayan imports kukuri with me as well.

That being said, I'm also from Vermont. A lot of our members are southwest and the idea of going around hacking things to clear a site is strange to them. It's not strange in the northeast where forested areas are in surplus. If you're in the desert and you have only sand and store bought firewood then a big knife may not be as helpful.