Kindred Spirits

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanC

Reaction score
This morning, as usual on Sunday i take my dog for his early walk along a dyke that leads to a path through the woods.  it's a really nice area because it's mostly deserted. This morning I saw a guy in the distance walking towards me with his dog. As we got closer, he put his dog on the leash and I did the same, but when we were close enough i said "let's take them off the leash and see how they get along" (his was an older pit bull and my guy is a pretty beefy boy too).  Anyway, their greeting was noisy and blustery but no teeth, just noise. Most people would see it as pretty terrifying.  It lasted about 30 seconds and then they went trotting off together.  But, watching the other guy's face, it was completely impassive.  it was in that moment I felt a connection with him.

We continued down the path to the woods and the more we talked, the more amazed I was at how similar our thinking was on so many things.  We both have organic raised bed gardens (actually mine is taken down in prep for selling the house).  Now, i should also mention that this guy was a grizzled old drywall contractor - someone you would never think of talking about the interconnected nature of the DNA of trees and humans or the spiritual nature of dogs.  We sat on a fallen tree in the woods while the dogs had a great time in a steam and talked about amazing things for about an hour. When we parted ways I was pretty much in awe at having run into him - didn't even ask his name.

In another instance, a good friend told me his father-in-law had a garden I should check out.  Again, this guy is an old blue collar dude who was pretty well known in his day for drinking and fighting.  I expected a typical garden of a few tomato plants and some squash so I wasn't prepared for his amazing back yard - it was like an art park that he had built up over years and years - ornate rusted old gates leading down paths of river rocks he had collected for years, beautiful, primitive metal and rock sculptures he had made. It was a small yard, but every corner had something awesome in it.  Again, I felt some kind of connection with this guy as he showed off his work and told me the stories behind each piece.  I also knew i had found a home for my own smaller collection of metal garden sculpture.  i had to say to him 'Jeez Bob, I never would have guessed that you would have done all of this".  His answer was "before I started smoking weed, I couldn't have imagined it either". And, I didn't mention that he has a few nice healthy plants growing among the other plantings too.  I also didn't mention that the first guy I mentioned also told me about his grow.

i am absolutely convinced that marijuana has the positive effect of heightening the awareness of the beauty in the smallest things and giving one a greater introspection.  There has to be a reason why men have sought it out for thousands of years.

i often refer to my small town as 'God's waiting room'.  The diner where I eat breakfast sometimes is full of old guys who seem so beaten by life - but, maybe I'm completely wrong.  Perhaps those old men have incredible back yards too and I'm guilty of judging books by covers, because there are 2 instances where you never would have guessed what was behind those rough exteriors.

IanC said:
i am absolutely convinced that marijuana has the positive effect of heightening the awareness of the beauty in the smallest things and giving one a greater introspection.  There has to be a reason why men have sought it out for thousands of years.

That makes me think back to a college roommate that would sit for days pondering the fascinating art and esoteric meanings behind Nintendo Super Mario Bros. 
For so long I had always thought he was just a stoned moron, but I can see now that I was hasty in my judgment.
:)

No doubt the guys who did that artwork for Super Mario had a bit of 'inspiration' too - people who use cannabis always recognize the inspirations of others who do too. I do.

My opinion is that, depending on how its used, it affects different people different ways. Its just like any drug, including alcohol. I have known some people that have used it and they are very successful, artistic etc.......and have known others that are on the stuff all the time and are just burnt out losers.......

poncho62 said:
My opinion is that, depending on how its used, it affects different people different ways. Its just like any drug, including alcohol. I have known some people that have used it and they are very successful, artistic etc.......and have known others that are on the stuff all the time and are just burnt out losers.......

The question is whether they had the personality and talent without the weed, or their upbringing and life experience made them prone to be unambitious even without it. I do wonder what the effect is on starting very young, but then again, a friend of mine has a financial services compny, was Chamber of Commerce prez, VP of the Life Underwriters Assoc., Lions Club prez, and super type A, who has been a daily user for 40 years.

Regardless, I would go out on a limb and say that 90% of the design of clothes we wear and the furniture we use, the music we listen to , movies and tv and entertainment we watch and the art we admire were the work of users. For me, at 60 years old, I pretty much have no desire to be ambitious any more.

I quit smoking weed a long time ago but meeting interesting people is still a big part of my life. As you have found, some real gems can be encountered in the rough. Old folks, especially, have fascinating tales to tell.

Yes it is easy to make judgements but it is best to recognise them as just that and to remember stories like this one. I am not so sure of the benefits of Marijuana, in the" Dunedin Study"( a world renown scientific study that studied a 1000 newborns from 1972 tlll now with a 97% retention) they found that if marijuana was used before the age of 18 your IQ was lowered by as much as 8 points. which may explain why those very creative people you recently met are drywall contractors and not scientists or astronauts.

flying kurbmaster said:
which may explain why those very creative people you recently met are drywall contractors and not scientists or astronauts.

How many astronauts and scientists do we need ? The people who work with their hands and the people who create are as important to the world as mensa members.

And it should be remembered that some can't tolerate it--it makes them psychotic, sometimes irreversibly. This happened to a teacher I knew back in the late 1960's. I also remember writing down some 'oh, so clever' sayings my friends and I would come up with while stoned. They weren't the least bit funny when we were straight.

mockturtle said:
And it should be remembered that some can't tolerate it--it makes them psychotic, sometimes irreversibly.  This happened to a teacher I knew back in the late 1960's.  I also remember writing down some 'oh, so clever' sayings my friends and I would come up with while stoned.  They weren't the least bit funny when we were straight.

Off the subject , MT. What is that rig you have? Very nice.

Thank you. It's a Tiger TX 4X4, 2015 on a Silverado 3500 chassis [you can get them on Ford or Dodge chassis, as well]. Mine is a gasser but you can get diesel.