Keeping windows open in the rain

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toes

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
Sorry if this thread is in the wrong spot. Mods, feel free to move it if necessary.

I'm looking for a good, inexpensive solution to keeping windows open in the rain. My vehicle is a mini van, so the back windows are the are the pop-out vent style. I actually really like these because you can keep them open and still be very stealthy.

I know you can get rain deflectors for front windows, but I've yet to see these for back vent windows. Maybe there's an easier, cheaper solution out there?

I can't put in a roof vent either as there's no room for it.

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

For one of my motorhomes with slider windows, I went to one of those new 3D plastic printing places, and for $35 they made me clear plastic louvers to go over the windows. Now I can leave them open rain or shine. They could probably make them any color you wanted too, and it only took them like 30 minutes. I was impressed.

If you are in the city, I don't have any suggestions. If you are a boondocker it's very easy.

Buy a $10 tarp and you can open the back hatch or doors and drape it in such a way that water can't get in. That'll give you lots of ventilation. It's also very easy to rig up a cheap tarp-awning that will let you keep your side door and windows open.

How easy it is depends on if you have rain gutters. With rain gutters all you have to do is use spring clamps to clamp the tarp on and pole for legs. Since you have a mini-van, and most mini-vans don't have gutters, it's a little harder. But you can do it!
Bob