It's Happening!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle (GMC Gypsy)

Reaction score
I sold my car! Now I can afford to get the engine looked at/worked on in the van and get this show on the road!!  :D :exclamation:

Woo! I just sold my car today too, and now I'm looking for the right van. Good luck out there!

Right on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congrats.  I hope it's nothing major or it ends up being cheap for you!  If it's the van in the picture it looks like a nice rig.

Did anyone else who spends a lot of time on forums expect the Ron Paul "It's happening" gif from the thread title?

Hope it all works out well for you. Good times ahead!

nobodyG17 said:
Congrats.  I hope it's nothing major or it ends up being cheap for you!  If it's the van in the picture it looks like a nice rig.

Ugh. Just got a call from the shop... It's worse than I expected, even taking into account the age of the van. Just getting the steering fixed is gonna be $1300.  :(

I've found a name for my van; The Money Pit.

Luckily the engine problems are such that I think I can get it to my brother-in-law, the mechanic, if I baby it the whole trip out to NC.

First, congratulations on your selling your car. I don't know how far you are from N.C. or what the issues are with your van(which looks very nice) just take that into account before venturing into a long trip.

Get a second or third opinion on your steering it never hurts to shop around. 

Have a contingency plan in case of a breakdown.

But most of all be safe and have fun. 

I hope all of your plans and dreams come together.

Gunny said:
First, congratulations on your selling your car. I don't know how far you are from N.C. or what the issues are with your van(which looks very nice) just take that into account before venturing into a long trip.

Get a second or third opinion on your steering it never hurts to shop around. 

Have a contingency plan in case of a breakdown.

But most of all be safe and have fun. 

I hope all of your plans and dreams come together.

Unfortunately the steering problem is such that I can't get it anywhere to get  more opinions and fits what I suspected the problem was, just a little worse than I expected. I trust the shop I took it to, mostly because it's woman owned and has great reviews online. I am 1600 miles from NC but I have roadside assistance if the babying fails and I break down. I plan to have around $1000 extra when I set out (and food and drinks and potty), just in case.

Bummer to hear about the expensive fix.  

The good news is that when it's done you are one step closer to doing what you want.

what do they say is wrong with the front end, for 1300 bucks you better be getting a whole new front end. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
what do they say is wrong with the front end,  for 1300 bucks you better be getting a whole new front end.  highdesertranger

Yeah, I did. Gear box, idler arm, tie rod and ends, pitman arm and alignment. I knew it had a problem but the problem turned out to be bigger than I thought. But, I'm looking at the repair costs as an investment in my home; no different than having the foundation of a house straightened out. It will eventually pay for it's self in rent not paid.