It's a Three Letter Word

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stargazer

Reaction score
Crossword puzzle hint: "Hippie Home".
Three letters _a_

"van"!!  HA!  I got that!

Nope.  It's "pad".

Maybe the rich hippies had pads?? Is that an oxymoron, rich hippie??

Stargazer said:
Maybe the rich hippies had pads??  Is that an oxymoron, rich hippie??
I seem to recall a lot of the original hippies came from upper middle class homes, and their parents supported their sex and drugs lifestyles. "Well, young Jethro is just going through a phase and will grow out of it, and get a real job and come back to the system". And that's exactly what happened.

I remember my original van, also called the "pad", in the 70s. Psychedelic curtains, and getting chased out of Aspen by the cops in the middle of the night. Now I'm retired and have my new van, and my rich uncle back east is supporting my new hippie lifestyle. Except when I'm home in my S&B of course. Two pads, one van. 50 years in the system.

highdesertranger said:
all this hippie talk got me reminiscing,  who remembers "Steal this Book" by Abbie Hoffman?

https://www.amazon.com/Steal-This-Book-Abbie-Hoffman/dp/156858217X
Hoffman was a Yippie, not a Hippie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abbie_Hoffman

There were 2 generations of hippiedom. The early flower child movement in the 60s, Buffalo Springfield and Jefferson Starship, concerts in the park, and which basically ended with the "Death of the Hippie" invocation in SF in 1967. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_hippie_movement#Haight-Ashbury
"By mid-1968, it was widely noted that most of the original "Flower Children" had long since departed the Haight Ashbury district, having been replaced by a more cynical and exploitative crowd".

After that it was mainly drugs, drugs and more drugs. Plus politics and Yippies. Greed and hate. [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Haight-Ashbury became a nasty slum.[/font] When I was going to school in the east bay in the early 70s, every night on the radio they would announce what the ingredients were in the drugs for sale on Telegraph Ave, to try and save the poor naiive students. Money, money, money. Abbey Hoffman (and his ilk) became Darth Vader, by any other name. Fried his brains on [font=Rubik, sans-serif]barbiturates. Lame.[/font]

Technically: "crash pad" - a place to spend the night at no cost, often a room with wall-to-wall mattresses and people, in the Haight.

I remember seeing "Steal This Book" in a bookstore on Telegraph Avenue in Berkeley, but I wasn't tempted. I've never read it.

Travelaround, as I recall a common destination for ex-Bay Area Flower Children after 1968 was various communes and encampments in the wilds of northern California. Is that by any chance how you ended up in a place known as "Happy Camp"? Possibly the daughter of expat Flower Children parents?  :cool:

There were communes in that area, notoriously, the Black Bear Ranch about 50 miles downriver from Happy Camp. But I was not there.

I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area and was well-acquainted with hippie life in the 1960's, in Berkeley and San Francisco. I didn't move to Happy Camp until 2000.

Aw shucks, I was hoping for something truly legendary. Ya grew up in Ground Zero for the hippie movement. It's on my bucket list to one day drive down the Klamath River from Yreka to the coast, in my van-pad, :). I see Black Bear Ranch is still in operation.

https://blackbearranch.org/

I lived in the Haight for a while, at 1649 Page. The corner of Haight and Ashbury is on the other side of that block. Also lived in a flat in Upper Ashbury, but I've forgotten the house number. Also lived in other SF locations: Richmond District, Mission District, and Portrero Hill... also Noe Valley, for a couple of months. I moved to Redding in 1974.

The word "pad" was used for a a bundle of straw to sleep on way back in the 1550s in the area that is now Germany.

It has been around in use, (in different languages with the same meaning of course) ever since then to mean a temporary place to sleep.

So the word was hanging around in use with that same meaning already attached to it for the beatnicks and hippies to popularize. But they most certainly did not invent it out of nothing or even significantly modify it, it still meant going to a place where they had a bed set up to sleep for the night. A lot of times it was not even their own house, just someplace they could throw down a pad to sleep on for a while. It had been in use for at least 400 years previously not just in this country but in all of Europe as well. Of course campers still use sleeping pads for their temporary places to crash.

1649 Page is the shorter building with a pointed roof. It has 2 flats and an apartment downstairs accessed by a door off the driveway. I lived in the lower flat in a big yellow and white room at the back that was at one time the flat's dining room.