Is this costing me too much?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanTrekker

Reaction score
<p style="margin: 0px;">Hello...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I contacted an online solar distributor who seems to have&nbsp;okay prices but the shipping is high priced.&nbsp; They said anything over 140 watts requires freight shipping rates.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Please let me know if this figure sounds reasonable...&nbsp; I can afford it but am not sure if I can do better or not in the cornbelt.&nbsp; We don't have a lot of solar stores around here...&nbsp; just seed corn and tractor dealers.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><hr><p></p><p style="margin: 0px;">(1)&nbsp; Astroenergy 235 Watt silver module&nbsp; CHSM6610P-235&nbsp;&nbsp; ($310.00)<br>(2)&nbsp; sets of Z mounting feet&nbsp; ($27.00)&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">(1) &nbsp;30 feet of solar cable (w/MC4 connectors)&nbsp; --&nbsp; ($40.00)&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">and $167.00 freight shipping...&nbsp; <b>$544.36.&nbsp;</b> </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;"><hr><p></p><p style="margin: 0px;">$167 of the price&nbsp;is shipping which sounds kind of high.&nbsp; Wholesale Solar said they have to send it as freight but at least I can pick it up myself in town from the local freight company office just a few miles away from where the van sits.&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Does this figure sound reasonable?&nbsp; I have already ordered my charge controller (MPPT)... Adding it all together, the whole system (minus mounting boards/plywood) would cost me $711 for 235 watts w/ MPPT.&nbsp; It seems reasonable enough...</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">I will say this... Wholesale Solar was super&nbsp;friendly on the phone.&nbsp; I wish more companies were this pleasant to deal with.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">So how does this stack up in the great spectrum of prices???</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>

Seems about right. I just paid $244.18 to have a full steel roll cage for my Jeep Cherokee shipped from St. Paul, NE to Mays Landing NJ. Due to size and weight it was shipped on a skid, to be delivered tomorrow on the big Fed Ex rig. Large un assembled steel tubes, about 300 pounds worth!

<p style="margin: 0px;">I'm afraid it's not going to be possible to avoid the shipping charges this time...&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">When I bought the AGM batteries, the carriers&nbsp;wanted a fortune to ship them so I drove a few hundred miles to the dealer and hauled them back in my Impala.&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </p><p style="margin: 0px;">It saved a lot of money...&nbsp; This time the merchandise has to come from California.&nbsp; $167 is not that high, I guess!</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks for the reply.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Brad</p>

Shipping is always going be a killer... Be sure to physically check the panel before signing anything to avoid any return shipping costs...<br>

<p>Great advice!&nbsp; I took the plunge and ordered the panel, cable, and mounting feet.&nbsp; Wholesale Solar advised me to carefully inspect the panel and to look for order completeness before signing off.&nbsp; It looks like about 11 days or so till it gets here.&nbsp;&nbsp; Can't wait!</p>

The prices all seem reasonable to me. I live in the Southwest where solar works so extremely well that there is a solar store in almost every town. My friend just bought a 185 watt panel for $229 and he picked it up right here. So if you lived out here you could have saved some money. But needing it shipped means you have to spend more. <br><br>You did good! Bob<br><br>

<p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks Bob!&nbsp; That word of reassurance really means a lot.&nbsp; <br><br>There is&nbsp;plenty to learn and try and understand.&nbsp; I used to work as an electronics tech and computer programmer so I understand the technology stuff but a person still has to filter through theory, facts, many conflicting opinions, and various options.&nbsp; I feel sorry for anyone who does not have some degree of experience with electricity and electronics because the information overload could drive someone&nbsp;nuts.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Solar&nbsp;appears to be&nbsp;remarkably easy to plan and install if a person takes time, learns, and asks a lot of questions.&nbsp; I am glad for this forum because so many people are willing to help others in a supportive way.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">By the way, I did go with just the 2x4's plan... A third ladder rack support might be added but it looks like things are going to be extremely sturdy either way.&nbsp; Everything should be up and running in about 2 weeks - pictures will be posted.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Thanks again!&nbsp; --&nbsp; Brad</p>