Invertor and charger recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fraz627

Reaction score
Need recommendations for charger and Invertor selection
The Batteries will be 2 6vdc golf cart batteries, FLA

My electrical loads will be
DC fridge, small micro wave, 24" TV/monitor, lap top 
Led interior lights, max air fan

Charging will be done via shore power and generator.

I'm on a budget, I feel that a 1000w PSW invertor will do the trick.
All suggestions are welcome.

A 30 amp converter should be plenty for charging.

How much power does your microwave draw?

Can't recommend an inverter without the number of watts it actually draws. A 700 watt microwave might work on the 1000w pure sine wave inverter.

230Ah (115 usable) won't run a small microwave for long. The peukert (sp?) effect will kick in and draw the voltage down to inverter cutoff voltage real quick. You may need 4 GC batteries. This is what Bob Wells did for his microwave.

the way I calculate it a 750 watt Microwave will draw 4 amp/hrs per day estimating a usage of 30 minutes a day

A 700 watt microwave uses 1070 watts running. So at least a 1200 watt inverter.

B&C was right about the 2 6 volt battery bank. They will not support a heavy draw.

fraz627 said:
I'm on a budget, I feel that a 1000w PSW invertor will do the trick.
All suggestions are welcome.
I'm on a budget too. But when I found out that I would need three 200ah AGM batteries to support my 1300 watts of inverted 120 AC I found a better way to go. I was also asking about a 1,000 watt inverter. I settled on a 2000W 12V Pure Sine Wave Inverter. I did that because 1,000 would never be enough.  I also went with a better battery for less. I found a great battery that will allow for a deeper draw down and also included an on board BMS that allowed it to draw a full 200 amps. Not sure what this means. 

This: Ampere Time 12V 200Ah|2560W Power| Lithium|LiFePO4| Deep Cycle Rechargeable Battery, Built-in 200A BMS,400A Max, 4000~8000 Cycles.

It's actually cheaper to go with this one big battery than to go with three AGM batteries at $370 each. And it will outlast and outperform the three batteries, not to mention the savings in weight. It only weighs 50lbs.

Attachments

• Ampere Time.png
    Ampere Time.png
    212.6 KB · Views: 4
fraz627 said:
the way I calculate it a 750 watt Microwave will draw 4 amp/hrs per day estimating a usage of 30 minutes a day

If it's rated at 8A @120VAC, it'll draw 80A @12VDC. At that discharge rate, Peukert's law will become an insurmountable bottleneck for a flooded lead-acid battery bank of that size.

ETA: Inserted "flooded lead-acid" before "battery bank." Also added my concurrence with gizmotron's recommendation of a LiFePO4 battery bank, if the high discharge rate required to power a microwave oven is part of your mission statement.

If you can transition away from microwaving, you will save a lot of money and eliminate a lot of weight and complexity. This is really important in a van or other small DIY camper.

"Oh I have to have a microwave!"

No, you don't. They are NICE to have, but they are not necessary (for most people) and in fact, are not really very good at actual 'cooking' unless you have a convection microwave. And those tend to use a HUGE amount of power...not at all practical on solar and battery power.

I love rubberized roasted microwave chicken. I serve that to mother-in-law when we go camping.

Learn to cook. You can do wonders with a Dutch oven. With just one propane burner you can learn to make meals in a skillet.

What are you cooking with a microwave anyway?

Microwaves are very efficient at heating up leftovers and water. Actual cooking with a microwave shouldn't be an option.

B and C said:
 This is what Bob Wells did for his microwave.

Did Bob Wells ever create a cooking with microwave video for van life camping? What does he eat? My favorite is microwaved roadkill lazy burgers with spot welded buns and secret sauce.  :rolleyes:

I didn't say he "cooked" with it, just that he had one and it took 4 GC batteries to run it (a few minutes).

I have a convection/microwave that I only run off the generator. I bake/roast in the convection oven. The microwave is for reheating leftovers and popcorn. I love my popcorn.

@ Brian

Of course. Everyone has their own favorite way of doing things. That's why we are rebels. We have chosen to be free of expectations. I'm the same about my Ninja Foodi. I love air frying.

I remember that video and I think Bob likes his fish sticks microwaved. I think he obtained a set of sponsored AGM batteries, an inverter, and other bits of hardware, and hooked it all up and presto! Ten minutes of high power RF and yeah...hot fish sticks and nearly dead batteries! Until a full day of sunlight can push the photons back in.

It's a lot of expense and weight and complexity to have steamy wet (or rubberized!) fish sticks a couple times a week.

But it makes a good video!

:p

And speaking of popcorn!

You can still buy the Jiffy-Pop popcorn that you pop over a stovetop...and get this, you can still buy the bags of popcorn kernels and some popping oil and cook popcorn the old-fashioned way...over a stove or campfire!

We dont need no stinkin' microwave!

:D

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Hmmm, has anyone done popcorn in a Ninja Foodi or the equivalent?

Film at 11:00...

[video=youtube]

I guess I will go with out a MicroWave for now.
Any good recomendation on a brand of Invertor PSW type.

Will Prowse’s YouTube channel and website have recommendations. His diysolar forum is also good.

I just bought a gowise 600w, but haven’t used it for long.

Latest posts