Interior latch for sliding door? Anybody have one?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkaboutTed

Reaction score
I've read that it is easy to open a locked van sliding door.  If somebody was coming in the front doors, I'd likely hear them and they'd have to climb over a big console and stuff to get in back.  Not sure if it were to be the sliding door. Anyone have an interior deadbolt? Details?

Yes, I know the odds are slim that anything would happen, but if you were a woman who has previously been attacked, odds, shmods, I need to feel secure.
Ted

A chain latch, like on a motel room door should provide a safety margin.
But I didn't know van sliding doors were ez to get into when locked !
wheels

I don't know what the inside of your sliding door looks like but a simple ratchet strap hooked somewhere to the sliding door and then hooked to (or looped around) the passenger seat frame should work until you can figure out a latch arrangement.

I just looked online, and couldn't find a legitimate way to easily unlock a slider. There's a lot of clickbait stuff using tennis balls, plungers and string, but nothing that seems real.

The only time someone tried to get into my slider, my Belgian was about 2 feet from the door, and when she cut loose, I heard footsteps running away really fast.

If you're worried about it, why not get some battery motion-detector lights and set them outside the van? Common criminals don't like lights or dogs.