Interesting article on homeless in their vehicles

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
land of the free.....................................................

I find myself constantly having to fight the idea that I’m not homeless, my vehicle is my home. So many people have a hard time with it, as the student in the article mentioned. I get looked at like I am in denial of reality. I’m starting not to care about what people think anymore because I’m so much happier now. Thank you Bob and everyone on here who has led the way.

abnorm said:
What is that news-source ……..SignOfTheTimes……...I've never heard of it ????

per their website;
[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"SOTT.net is a leading alternative news site providing independent journalism and unbiased analysis"[/font]

Jora said:
 my vehicle is my home. 

Yes...it's shelter....food,companionship,shelter....all that's needed for survival...(and even companionship is questionable...but it does help to have a support system)

they have an agenda right off the bat,

"Once again tonight, countless numbers of Americans will sleep in their vehicles, and this is a problem that is getting worse with each passing year. According to the Department of Housing and Urban Development, the homeless population in the United States hit 552,830 in 2018, but many believe that the true number is actually a lot higher."

"countless numbers of Americans will sleep in their vehicles" yeah so

"and this is a problem" not for me, why is it for you

" that is getting worse" of course the negative label

" the homeless population" so I a automatically homeless, no I am not I choose this. I could go back to a house anytime.

they are concentrating on urban dwellers. not one mention about rural dwellers.

"Many that are living in their vehicles don't even consider themselves to be homeless" DUH, this writer is a rocket scientist

"quite an epidemic among America's college students" so now it's a disease

"What homeless Americans really need it a permanent roof over their heads" no I don't you condescending piece of never mind

this whole article is a one sided exploitation piece.

my 2 cents. highdesertranger

I agree with HDR.  Basically a propaganda piece.

txmnjim said:
per their website;
[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"SOTT.net is a leading alternative news site providing independent journalism and unbiased analysis"[/font]

I especially like then 'unbiased analysis' part.

Right on, HDR.

"What homeless Americans really need is a permanent roof over their head."

Surely the author didn't mean to say that -- or did he?

Johnny

highdesertranger said:
"What homeless Americans really need it a permanent roof over their heads" no I don't you condescending piece of never mind

Exactly! That was the key point that destroyed their credibility.

They assume all traditional housing is acceptable.
They failed to even consider the possibility that some of us have tried for years to find adequate traditional housing, and have failed miserably.
These articles typically assume it's purely an economic situation, and fail to even try to understand how bad much rental housing is. :(

[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"What homeless Americans really need it a permanent roof over their heads, because it is exceedingly difficult to operate in our society without one."[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]    I think many of us have bumped up against this while getting insurance on our vehicles. The rules set up to get the required insurance insist we are unstable because we don't have a sticks and bricks. Huh? I know they use statistics to calculate what their lowest risk demographics are but those statistics are based on gross generalizations that those without an address are reckless and irresponsible. Simply lumping a large and diverse group together without considering the various subsets is over simplifying the reality. [/font]

[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"Of course a lot of Americans are living in their RVs by choice, [/font][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]but others are doing it because a traditional home is not an affordable alternative at this point.[/font][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] "[/font][/font][/size]
[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"And instead of trying to address the root issues, many of our lawmakers have decided that it is far easier [/font][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]to pass laws making it illegal to sleep in vehicles [/font][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]..."[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size]

And to me, this is the crux of the article. The rising greed that makes our economy out of balance so that the middle class has all but disappeared! Let's face it, there are many, many people living in their vehicles because they cannot afford rent, and food, and medical care. So instead of fixing the basic values of our country, restoring a strong middle class, they go after the people that are suffering the consequences of that imbalance.

BuenaVista said:
[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] I think many of us have bumped up against this while getting insurance on our vehicles. [/font]

Yes, my nomadic intentions were an issue with the insurance salesman, who finally used my current address to get the insurance. I'm still wondering how the insurance company will react when my mailing address becomes a mail forwarding service rather than an apartment. I hope I won't lose the insurance!

BuenaVista said:
[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] instead of fixing the basic values of our country, restoring a strong middle class, they go after the people that are suffering the consequences of that imbalance. [/font]

Good analysis... we need to fix basic values, but how can we convince the rich money-hoarders to share with the homeless who would like to be in sticks and bricks? Or with the homeless on the streets who would love to have a good van or RV? It seems like the solutions are coming from people who are only a step or two above being totally down and out themselves. The money hoarders may donate to charitable organizations but not enough is going to the people living on the streets.

I'm thinking of a spiritual solution... but will that ever be infused into the consciousness of enough people that changes will happen?

I'm dismayed at unimportant issues the news media focuses on when so little is being done to help with the homelessness situation. When I was young there wasn't a huge homeless population... mainly it was hobos in train yards waiting for their next ride. Our country has disintegrated quickly and marginalized the poor to the degree that we don't appreciate each individual as a beautiful fellow citizen, but fear them all as a group called "the homeless."

Gauging from you guys' remarks this is another validation of my decision to stop listening/reading 99.9% of news. I see some headlines as I surf the internet and I check weather, that's it.

BuenaVista said:
[font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][size=small][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]"And instead of trying to address the root issues, many of our lawmakers have decided that it is far easier [/font][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]to pass laws making it illegal to sleep in vehicles [/font][font=Helvetica, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]..."[/font][/font][/size][/font][/size]

And to me, this is the crux of the article. The rising greed that makes our economy out of balance so that the middle class has all but disappeared! Let's face it, there are many, many people living in their vehicles because they cannot afford rent, and food, and medical care. So instead of fixing the basic values of our country, restoring a strong middle class, they go after the people that are suffering the consequences of that imbalance.

amen! there is a serious issue in this country, and you can call it an agenda but it is a fact, with homelessness. many are having
to live in there vehicles, and many are also choosing to. like the article stated, i am choosing to because i haven't enough money
(once i retire) to live in a stick&bricks home. i posted it also because many seem to view "everyone else" at there boondocking as
riff raff, but many just have no other choice. hey, i'm looking at it as i'm ahead of the curve in all this planning for my future :)

travelaround said:
I'm dismayed at unimportant issues the news media focuses on when so little is being done to help with the homelessness situation. When I was young there wasn't a huge homeless population... mainly it was hobos in train yards waiting for their next ride. Our country has disintegrated quickly and marginalized the poor to the degree that we don't appreciate each individual as a beautiful fellow citizen, but fear them all as a group called "the homeless."

i agree. i just rode my bicycle on my regular exercise route and i noticed that the homeless encampment in the 
woods near downtown has been removed! that's how my city (Rochester, MN) deals with the issue--out of sight
out of mind :(

I'm with MaTaLa. 99% of today's "news" isn't worth a single moment of my time. Manufactured sensationalism. I'd rather watch paint dry.

It seems everything is hyped up to sell more. Headlines are meant to grab and the article more or less follows the headline. Same thing happens with TV shows, youtube, movies, almost every facet of consumables. LAST CHANCE, EMERGENCY, NEVER BEFORE SEEN, BEAR TAKES OVER FAMILY POOL, etc etc etc.

Every TV show, newscast, movie, fast food joint, automobile, RV, event is always the biggest baddest or the last.

The marketing bamboozle to keep the consuming public consuming.

The real headline is 'another relaxing day getting a little done with the occasional nap and a full belly'. My version won't sell very well I suppose.

ok, i'll bite. do you folks think this article is "manufactured" and we don't have an issue with
homelessness or people having to live in their vehicles by necessity and not choice? furthermore,
can any of you point out ANY factual errors in the article?