insurance for cargo van...california

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublegregg

Reaction score
is it possible for a really cheap build? i've left a couple messages at two places (specialize in vans, rv's) around the bay area saying i want to get insurance for a van that i'll occasionally sleep in, etc... no return call. i'm wondering if this is a dead end road. i assume other states are different, and california might be one of the most restrictive. i've already had one expensive hit and run on my van. the body shop billed the insurance about $7000 to repair it. i paid an extra $1000. i've heard if my current insurance company (farmers) finds out about someone sleeping, cooking in a van, they might drop it, or not cover a claim due to this. any help? tysm!

There is a lot more to this question such as how is it registered, will you be converting it to and licensing as a RV, will you be living in it full time, what type of build is required to do so? Escapees.com has resources that may be able to help you with your insurance questions. The others will involve researching your states laws and regulations and most people that convert school buses have run into similar problems so I would search some of their sites.

doublegregg said:
--is it possible for a really cheap build?
--a van that i'll occasionally sleep in.
--someone sleeping, cooking in a van.

People use their vans to go on vacations all the time. A cot,sleeping bag,a cooler, a couple of storage bins and a camp stove. No special insurance needed.

sorry, i should have been clearer... a simple build, but with portable solar, a lithium battery, fishing equipment, a 12v fridge.... i don't figure i could file a claim if someone broke in and stole - say all of that, which is worth about $2500. i'm guessing my insurance company would not pay, on some technicality of me living in the van or something.... i'm not really looking to know all the rules of conversions, if that's what it's called, in my state (california)... hence my calls to local agents who specialize in vans, etc...

or is that required? (to become an expert in insurance law in my state because van insurance is so iffy and legislated.)

i'll check escapees.................

Is it a cargo van? If none of the stuff is permanently installed and you would just being using it for occasional camping, I don't see a problem.

The agents should be able to answer your questions better once you get in touch with them.

Oops. Sorry, I missed the cargo van in the title.

I have my van insured as a regular private vehicle. the contents are covered by my homeowner's/renters insurance. (Washington state)

NEVER say you are living in your van. Say you are camping/traveling full-time in it for a while.

I believe California has a different way of classifying RV, if it is driving down the road its a vehicle, if its sitting in a RV park its a home. I was researching as to how it applies to firearms. I don't know if it applies to Camper Vans or not. California has a lot of strange laws.

ty for the replies... this IS california... it would be nice to have the contents insured... it's mainly for when i'm in a city or at a trail head... there's a fair amount of break ins at those places. it would be peace of mind to not have to worry about being ripped off. otherwise, i'd have to be comfortable with having a few hundred dollars replacement costs out of my pockets now and then.
i guess i'm concerned even if i got the contents insured that the van in california used for occasional 'camping' or more like uh... semi-glamping the insurer might decline or negate coverage because of the presence of propane tanks, electrical, fridge, insulation, a build out, etc.... in a cargo van.... i'd feel i always had to hide all that, which would probably be a big pita and a potential GOTCHA.
anyone else from the golden state?
stay safe and healthy.

as has been mentioned insure the contents with renters insurance. why would anything you mentioned be a problem? you're just camping right.
how would they even Know what was in there? just show them a copy of the police report. I think you are over thinking this. highdesertranger

i actually do not think i'm over thinking this.... so - say i get in an accident. there's my cargo van, with a bed, bed frame, fridge, solar, insulation, computer, a lot of water......stove.... lighting.... which will all be visible to my insurance company, once they haul my van to some body shop. is my insurance company going to declare, we won't pay out because we insured a cargo van, not a camper or rv.
no, i don't know if this would happen --------- but i do not want to find out, to my dismay, that an accident might leave me out on a limb that is being sawn off, and i'm on the wrong side of the saw!

here's another thread - basically i think they came to the same conclusion. (conclusion being exasperation and frustration, and no solution)
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=41543&page=2

is the answer simply: there is no solution? you can risk it, or not.......

Have you talked to an insurance broker in California? Surely you know that what is true about insurance in one state is not necessarily true in another state, and that what is true about one insurance company is not necessarily true about another. 

We can only tell you what we are doing. Personally, I'm very comfortable with my insurance situation, and seldom give it a thought.

Except for the insulation, all that stuff is removable.

So you were on an extended trip/vacation and have a lot of elaborate camping gear.

Maybe skip the insulation?

You did say it would just be for occasional use.

true, the stuff is removable... if you design it that way... insulation... another story.. i guess one could say they just wanted it insulated... but in my example, you get in a wreck, your van is in the shop with all the gear, solar, everything......... why take a chance on what the insurance company might declare in that case?
i kind of think its something people don't want to think about...
i'll talk to some brokers, although since a couple who specialize in vans alrady have not bothered returning my call ----------- it don't look that good from where i am. maybe i am over thinking, but it just seems like something that can turn pretty sideways. man, i'm not v comfortable with that. i wouldn't want to be out the cost of my van, contents, and what about liability?
sorry to be like the grinch.

I got my cargo van yesterday, and Allstate just added it to my regular policy, but just for liability. I told the agent that I will be using it for camping trips, not work, so my payments by month will be at most $60.

Most companies won't classify a DIY conversion as an RV to get the benefits of having RV specific insurance.

If you have full coverage on the vehicle, the contents may be covered - ask the agent. I haven't read anything about using some other type of property insurance to cover the contents of a vehicle, but I'm sure some kind of policy will cover it.

I think it's more to do with state definitions of an RV and policies for insurance. Companies do vary state to state, but that's because states requirements vary.
Like here's is Virginia's:
""Recreational vehicle" or "RV" means a vehicle that (i) is either self-propelled or towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle, (ii) is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use; and (iii) complies with all applicable federal vehicle regulations and does not require a special movement permit to legally use the highways. Recreational vehicle includes motor homes, travel trailers, and camping trailers."

So I just went through on my policy with Progressive because I couldn't remember what is stipulated so I added a vehicle to see.
After check Yes, it's a van equipped with a conversion package, the next page states to be eligible it must not be a vehicle equipped with cooking facilities, drinkable water supply system, bathroom facilities, propane system, refrigeration system, or 110/125 volt electric power system.

Also, if I click "No" to being a van equipped with a conversion package, it just skips ahead and doesn't ask about cooking, water etc.

But being I have liability only, it shouldn't make a difference because regardless they don't pay me anything.
But this is just for example in VA, expect it to be different in your state.

I was told by an insurance representative that I couldn't insure my van as a RV in CA because I didn't have a second vehicle for daily driving. Apparently RV insurance is cheaper as they are usually parked in the driveway.

Uncle Todo said:
I think it's more to do with state definitions of an RV and policies for insurance. Companies do vary state to state, but that's because states requirements vary.
Like here's is Virginia's:
""Recreational vehicle" or "RV" means a vehicle that (i) is either self-propelled or towed by a consumer-owned tow vehicle, (ii) is primarily designed to provide temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel use; and (iii) complies with all applicable federal vehicle regulations and does not require a special movement permit to legally use the highways. Recreational vehicle includes motor homes, travel trailers, and camping trailers."

So I just went through on my policy with Progressive because I couldn't remember what is stipulated so I added a vehicle to see.
After check Yes, it's a van equipped with a conversion package, the next page states to be eligible it must not be a vehicle equipped with cooking facilities, drinkable water supply system, bathroom facilities, propane system, refrigeration system, or 110/125 volt electric power system.

Also, if I click "No" to being a van equipped with a conversion package, it just skips ahead and doesn't ask about cooking, water etc.

But being I have liability only, it shouldn't make a difference because regardless they don't pay me anything.
But this is just for example in VA, expect it to be different in your state.
yes, i would think it depends on the state.
i don't understand why, if you check conversion package, that it can't have cooking facilities, etc ------------ isn't all that the very definition of a conversion package?? and if you have some of those systems, but answer no i don't, and one day the van is in an accident, you're not concerned the insurance company will decide they do not have to cover your loss, because the van has all those systems mentioned, which aren't supposed to be in it?

No, conversion vans don't typically have cooking facilities,etc.

Just bigger windows, more luxurious seating, fold-down rear seat, extra lighting,etc. Some also have TVs, sound systems.

What you describe is a Class B motorhome.