Insulating for Extreme Hot, Extreme Cold, Sound deadening

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
I don't want anything off-gassing chemicals into the air.  So here are my ideas to insulate my Chevy Express against extreme hot and cold weather along with deadening sound.  I'd like to know your thoughts.

Layer 1:
Paint the interior with low VOC U-pol Raptor.  It is suppose to have some sound deadening qualities and will seal the metal against rust.
or
Lizardskin Sound Control Formula Paint & Ceramic Thermal Insulation Coating

Layer 2:
Bubble rap and Reflectix
or
Bubble rap and UltraTouch Radiant Barrier

Layer 3:
Ultratouch Denim Insulation
or
Thermafleece Cosywool Flexible Slab Insulation
or
Black Mountain Wool Insulation
or
Roxul Comfort Batt

Layer 4:
Wood walls

Keightley

Nothing critters can eat

Layer 1 useless for thermal, the heavy damping stuff better for sound

2 only with an air gap

EPS is inert and does not offgas at all

When you post questions like this, please let us know what country you're in. If you're considering Thermafleece Cozywool, it's only for sale in Britain, AFAIK. I know how much Reflectix costs in the U.S, but what about in Britain?

We tend to deal in cost per square foot, you do it in sq m, so if you're in Britain, please excuse us for not wasting our time translating, when you could have done it yourself.

If you're worried about off-gassing, what non-toxic adhesive were you planning on using to adhere the insulation?

The paint-on products that tout their sound-deadening qualities seem like a moot point; and when they say that something that is 2mils thick when dry has insulative properties, well.... when it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. Others may disagree.

If you're thinking of wood walls, what kind of wood? And how thick? Solid wood or with one of the above insulations?

I would suggest that you do your basic homework, post the results, and then we shall give you some opinions.

keightley said:
So here are my ideas to insulate my Chevy Express against extreme hot and cold weather along with deadening sound.  I'd like to know your thoughts.

A while back Bob posted a video about insulating your van. Polyiso also known as RMAX was mentioned, so I looked into it. RMAX has an insulation value of R7 per inch of thickness. Two inches in theory will give you an R value of 14? Anyway, that's what I plan on using.

For layer 2,  I would go with rtech foam 1" thick at least. It's cheap, non toxic, you can use hotglue which is non toxic to glue it to your van walls. I have it in the rear of my van and it actually works, the more the better.
4x8 rtech.jpg

Attachments

• 4x8 rtech.jpg
    4x8 rtech.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 13