In ohio need help

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning, Josh!

Try going to church and making friends with the minister, priest, or whatever's your pleasure, and after a couple of weeks you'll be able to ask if you can park your van in their parking lot. It needn't be in a large city, as many (most) small towns have small churches that would most likely be happy to help you, especially if you make yourself available to pull a few weeds and suchlike during the warmer months. It'll depend entirely on your personality and the minister's.

I don't suppose any friends and/or family would let you park in their driveway...?

Just asking, and welcome to the forum. It's a great place - lots of down-to-earth, decent people. I'm relatively new myself and am thoroughly enjoying the privilege of being here.

Keep us posted,

Jesse.

My goodness! That mileage *is* unusual. We get 12 mph in our 1988 Class A Bounder and that's while driving in the mountains. If we're pulling a toad we get closer to ten. Definitely something wrong there....

Jess.

The Tires are brand new. Its not coming from them. I might be getting 10-12 on the highway. Either way, its terrible mileage when you don't make much money.

Awesome. As soon as I get spare money Ill invest in it. Sitting at a campground right now has let me focus some of my cash into adding some conveniences and organization that I couldn't afford to get before.

Thank everyone so much for the help and ideas.

akrvbob said:
Ohio actually has quite a bit of free camping from the electric utilities. 8 years ago I camped at them but sorry, I don't remember the details and they are in the country, not near big towns. They are reclaimed strip mined coal pits and they are required to offer recreation on them. The ones I was at were very nice!!

Are you working so you have to be near a job?  

You might think about putting the car in a storage lot and keep stealth parking yourself.

Cyndi's ideas were excellant--I'd be surprised if one didn't work.
Bob
Most of the re-creation areas I'm familiar with are east of Columbus...

This was already covered - apologies

Just curious,  how old are the ignition cables on the engine of your van ?

If you could find a steep hill somewhere and pull up half way and stop...then give it the gas
it could tell you a lot about their condition. If the engine cut out or sputters...give some thought
to replacing them.  This is an often overlooked problem  I agree with the oxygen sensor replacement too.
Fresh ones will send correct information to the computer.

I believe you can get a free simple diagnostic at AutoZone or Advanced.  It won't be as good as going to
a garage and putting the Van on the Big Diagnostic Computer ($50 or more) but the free check may find
something you aren't aware of.  There is a plug under the dash that they plug their computer into for the
exam.