Imagine this

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun to look at, but the weight versus useable space ratio is a total bust. Those barrels are typically made of Oak which is a very heavy wood.. That type of structure will also leak unless kept wet while filled with liquids. So an overweight heavy build with poor space for size that won't keep out the rain is a terrible nomadic dwelling concept.

But of course it has been tried before by the clueless.

Oh I do try to be good but it’s sometimes impossible. If that pretty young woman comes with it I’m buying

Looks like the cisterns that used to be on farms by the windmill. You could probably get them through the sears catalog.

You also still see them on top of tall buildings for the gravity fed water system. I saw a documentary on them that followed a maintenance crew and the foreman explained one of the reasons for still having wood tanks is that you can bring anything to build or repair one of them to the roof using the elevator. No need for crane or rigging.

Guy

Here in Central PA we have a “root beer barrel”. It’s been around for years. Big enough to have a small kitchen and they sell hotdogs root beer and other things out of it. It had been sitting along the road empty for a few years and a Boy Scout decided to use it as an Eagle Scout project. He rebuilt it and moved it to a community not far away where it’s open every weekend. I have to go get pictures and put them on here. It is pretty neat.

I think if you took the premise and altered it slightly to lighten it and simplify it. it would be cheap easy to build, light and nice looking. Instead of having it go round at the bottom at about bench level you go straight down to a flat bottom, floor and this section of wall plywood, the front and back shape cut from plywood maybe 5/8, might need two sheets on each end if wider then 4 feet, door and windows cut out of plywood, make door with cut out, use cut offs for interior cabinetry, one section in middle same shape but used as rafter, to attach roof to, cover with corrugated iron or corrugated fibreglass or corrugated plastic. Exterior Job done.

Latest posts