Ideas for Portable Micro Hydroelectric

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogueRV2

Reaction score
Zil reported seeing a Swede power his big MH with what I'll call a mysterious box the size of a milk crate. It sounds like a great idea as micro hydro is more reliable than solar, yet it does require the proper site to be effective. A fellow on YT has the right idea and a good start. Brainstorming can be effective, and while this is not intended to be a brainstorming secession I just thought I'd start a thread and see what happens: Here's the video:

From india, a tiny unit:

I notice no one shows any power being produced from such a little fall. More BS.

NO Zil did not see that system. Zil could not see that system. That system is imposable.

In the first example voltage is shown and a few old automotive batteries were being charge. Apparently this his primary source of power and his requirements might be minimal, yet it works well enough. In another example, the fellow with the Pelton wheel is onto something that might work well and is in a portable form. Other builds of this sort and size desighned to be stationary are proven successes. It could be scaled down, but output will suffer. The 'pico-mirco' hydro(my invented term) is obviously experimental, and akin to a solar yard light in usefulness, and only when it rains as a rain gutter is it's water source.

Unfortunately I have the interest, yet no time to develop this, so it is frustrating no to be able to give it my full attention. Another option is a micro wood gasifier that can run a small or larger generator.

ccbreder said:
I notice no one shows any power being produced from such a little fall. More BS.

For some reason I can't understand, this kind of topic soon turns into a flame war. It's nothing but a thought-experiment which is how all theoretical physics works. But for some reason it raises irrational anger in many people.

How can a thought experiment, (even if it is ridicolus) hurt or offend you?

All flaming posts will be deleted and the flamer will be given a warning. :mad:

Writing in and saying it can't work is not a flame, just a waste of your time.
Bob

Yes, this thread was started on a whim and is indeed a sort of thought experiment, a rough and informal brain storming opportunity of the throw it on the wall and see watt sticks variety. Mud is however not apart of what should be thrown around. As the instigator of this thread, if Bob sees enough potential for this to get out of control, please go ahead and delete the thread now. No one has much invested in it anyhow and I've already decided to pursue the pelton wheel in a bucket idea. Looks cheap to build too... I'll try in the future to stay from such topics. bummer.....

akrvbob said:
For some reason I can't understand, this kind of topic soon turns into a flame war. It's nothing but a thought-experiment which is how all theoretical physics works. But for some reason it raises irrational anger in many people.

How can a thought experiment, (even if it is ridicolus) hurt or offend you?

All flaming posts will be deleted and the flamer will be given a warning. :mad:

Writing in and saying it can't work is not a flame, just a waste of your time.
Bob

Hello GSFISH,

Here's a YouTube video of a set up that I believe might work well up here in Montana.

We have plenty of high mountain steams and creeks that have the head needed in the Fortine/Rexford and Glacier View Ranger Districts and more. There is fantastic dispersed camping with the best camping sites am aware of. One can easily stay in the region for months. Solar is the way to go most of the time, but I'd like to have an alternative. A small wood gasifer would actually useful anywhere fuel can be found and it won't freeze, but the micro hydro will run 24/7.

200 feet of hose. I like the idea and its neat, but you definitely cant lug that around unless you have a pretty big rig.

Chicken Feed for mental exercise. google the terms.
Use a Ram Pump to pump from a stream up to a very elevated storage tank.
When tank is full, use the long fall from tank to ground to power a Water Wheel with a small light duty alternator.
Charge a pair of 6 volt batteries to store the electrons.
This has the added advantage in that it will work.

Hello Dazar,

Have to agree that 200 feet of hose is a bit much. This not a practical thing for most folks. Solar is usually the way to go, except up here in my woods, the trees can severely limit how much sun you'll get even on the sunniest day. In the winter, the 2 hours of insolation for this area will actually be less because of the thick woods. I could lug that around in the Toyota pick up I'll be towing, but the opportunities, even with all the water we have here is still limited. A small undershot wheel that can be floated might be scaled down to a point where it is practical option. And I should give thought to an other alternative, a wood gasifer. This could live in the back of the pick up and perhaps even run the pick up and other same size or smaller engines. Look up 'wood gasifer on You Tube and one will be amazed. Here is a good example:

In the last half, the Swedish movie, Tuppen (1981), depicts it's use when attached to a 1930's car.

DazarGaidin said:
200 feet of hose. I like the idea and its neat, but you definitely cant lug that around unless you have a pretty big rig.

CCBREDER,

Interesting idea. I happen to have 3 ram pumps of various sizes for small to larger streams. If the head and GPM (gallons per minute) are insufficient for the type and size of micro hydro generator one has, then using a large storage tank or pond supplied by a small ram pump could power a generator every few days, or when enough water is on hand. This not really a practical application for us, but at a permanent location, it is feasible. Ram pumps produce only a hundred to few thousand gallons per day so the amount of power generated would be quite limited, yet better than nothing. This is good idea to have in the tool box.