Ideas for a Family of Three

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slothlover

Reaction score
Hi.  I've been looking at truck campers and class b vans.  Everything is out of budget right now. The prices are overkill for my requirements.  Please help me with ideas.  His what I am looking for.

Budget of $10,000 to $15,000
- 3 of us; me, teenager and 6'4 spouse
- we want a comfortable travel van for short trips
- we want to be able to boondock maybe 1 or 2 nights out of a week on a vacation.
- there needs to be a way to cool or heat the van at night without running the engine
- the three of us need to be able to lie down in it.  So seats during the day, beds at night
- room for a porta potty and portable refrig/freezer

Thanks!

If it's just for 1 or 2 nights and only during vacations, get an empty extended cargo van and use regular camping gear. Do a little insulating and paneling, carpet on the floor. Bed platform across the back, airbed or cot behind the driver's seat. Research powered vent fans, Little Buddy heaters,Porta Pottis.

Three people in a Class B will get old fast. They're full of stuff you don't really need on a short trip and you'll find them very cramped.

...and welcome!

6'4" is going to limit your choices if you want or need standing room. Three people with 30" beds is tough also especially if one has to be 80" long. Still several options but most will require customizing. Full size crew cab pickup or 1 ton van with 6'6" cargo trailer. I haven't seen much in the RV market that holds up or would be comfortable for someone so tall and 3 people with a teenager makes privacy an issue. Bed in both tow vehicle and trailer solves that some what or for temporary a tent, but long term with bad weather tents are difficult. Two vans maybe?

So, basically more of a conversion van with a generator? I know they have nice conversion vans with high top that might be suitable as there is an overhead bed. Still "comfortable" bed when it means breaking down the seating will take some tweaking. Space will be tight with the portable toilet and cooler, but I can't think of anything else that would work without the overhead sleeping.

This may need to be rethought. Is a towable out of the question, something along the lines of an Aliner-type trailer?

Man, I just cant resist, (please forgive me Bob):

Sell the teenager and trade Bigfoot in on a small dog.

Poof!

Your choices just got MUCH easier.

:p

With a teenager and a tall adult you might want to think about an extended van for the two adults and a small cargo trailer to give the teenager their own space and privacy.

The budget should fit for both and it would give you the opportunity to get things arranged the way YOU want them instead of what some manufacturer envisions you need.

The extended van might be a bit of a search to find a good one but it would be worth it for the extra couple of feet for a large bed for two adults.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

^^^^^^^^^THIS.............. OR.......

Get a midsize Cargo Trailer and make it the Adult's luxury bedroom/bucket room and pull/camp and room for the teen with what is available ?

Short trips? Quickest and easiest way, go look at the used, small travel trailers (at a dealer) to get ideas. Seems you have a truck already? There are bunk house trailers plus a pull-down queen that doubles as a couch...like a murphy bed (trailer sleeps 4)...this would give you nearly all the comforts inside.

Many good ideas mentioned here.  The one requirement that will be most difficult to fulfill is a way to cool the space at night "without running the engine".  If you will be in areas where ambient air temp is high and by cooling you mean air conditioning, the only way I know to do that is with a generator, unless you are somewhere with an electrical hookup.  And running a generator at night may quickly become a problem if you camp anywhere near others.  Many campgrounds have quiet hours and don't allow generators at night.

The vent fans are Great!  But if the ambient air temp outside is 95 degrees, the vent will be circulating 95 degree air.

I go high in the summer.  The solution that I like.

Latest posts