I need to expand my shopping list

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
Now that I'm thinking about getting a vehicle more for extended camping trips than actual vandwelling, I feel more comfortable looking at smaller options. I've just been wandering through parking lots listing promising-looking models. Some of them, such as the Forester, Vibe (Matrix), Yukon, and CR-V, have been written about elsewhere on this forum. But I'm interesting in any thoughts you may have on the following as a relatively chunky hard-shell tent:

Hyundai Santa Fe
Nissan Murano
Ford Edge
Ford Explorer
Jeep Liberty
GMC Terrain
Subaru Outback
Mitsubishi Outlander
Jeep Liberty

I'd like be able to lie down in it (I'm 5'11") and store a small cabin tent and other essential gear. Anything I buy will have to be high-mileage, so maybe I should focus on Japanese models?....

Being a "Bigger than the average bear" kinda guy, I once rode in a work friend's Nissan Murano. A butt-ugly vehicle to be sure, but largish inside for it's class and very comfortable for me! As 'sport wagons' go, I'd definitely consider it, though newish they tend to be pricy.
If you are willing to go a bit older, many folks love their Honda Elements, last made in 2010. Certainly the best of the 'toaster' class of utility wagons. Also has a type of AWD.

LeeRevell said:
Being a "Bigger than the average bear" kinda guy, I once rode in a work friend's Nissan Murano.  A butt-ugly vehicle to be sure, but largish inside for it's class and very comfortable for me!  As 'sport wagons' go, I'd definitely consider it, though newish they tend to be pricy.
If you are willing to go a bit older, many folks love their Honda Elements, last made in 2010.  Certainly the best of the 'toaster' class of utility wagons.  Also has a type of AWD.

Yeah, I like the Element; forgot to add it to the list. I wouldn't be too worried about buying an ancient Honda, either.