I-15 Fire Cajon Pass

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corky52

Reaction score
Gotta know when to foldup and walk away.  Might be hard but some times the best thing to do is shut down, grab what you can carry, leave the keys in the ignition and be ready to walk away.

I've been trapped up there twice and the insanity of some people leaves me speechless!  I'd hate to lose my rig, but some times there isn't a choice.  

Corky

yeah I am watching it right now. lots of vehicles burned on I-15. 18 vehicles and 2 semi's destroyed and 15 structures. I think the worse is over for the I-15 but many houses are endanger. highdesertranger

Ok, I'm dumb but I wouldn't stop on the interstate and abandon my rig, thus blocking the people behind me... I must be missing a tiny detail here in the news reports.

"Brush fires jumps highway". I don't think it burned up the asphalt...
?

Some pictures show a line of fire on both sides of the highway. I am guessing that burning debris blew on to vehicles and across the road.

what happened is one of the fire's fingers came up to the freeway and jumped it. the CHP was there and blocked traffic because it was burning on both sides. well it backed the freeway up for miles. this is a very busy freeway, it's the main link between LA and Vegas, and Cajon pass is a choke point. well people started leaving their cars in fact the fire department was telling them to, the people were slowly walking away form where the fire was burning. then a couple more fingers from the fire came up the freeway right in the middle of the traffic jam. well the people in front had abandon their vehicles so everyone was stuck in place, even though that part of the fire had passed, they could have easily driven away at that point. but they were already evacuating on foot. this left hundreds of vehicles in the fires path. luckily the fire only came up in two more areas and not the whole freeway. where those other two fingers came up is where the vehicles burned. highdesertranger

bob it's been raining for 3hrs. as of right now 6:45pm sat 7/18/15 we have gotten over 1/2 inch. which for us is a lot for july. highdesertranger

Glad they got the rain. Too bad for the vehicles and mess. What was more disturbing was the reports that two stupid drone operators were chasing the fire fighting plane... I wish they could be identified and arrested.

It's looking like it could be a very strong El Nino so there is a good possibility that it could be a very good year for rain in CA.
Bob

Latest posts