How to go about screwing bed to van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ontheroadagain

Reaction score
I have read a lot of threads on building a bed in a van and it seems a lot use angle brackets screwing the frame to the van floor and walls. <br><br>My question is how to go about this. I want to build my bed over the wheel wells side to side.<br>My gas tank is below the area between the wheel wells so I am afraid to screw into the floor.<br><br>My plan was to lay 3/4 inch osb plywood on top off the wheel wells with a wood frame under it between the wheel wells. I just have no idea how to secure it in place. also how to start the screws in the metal body<br><br>Ideas?

We just used self tapping screws to put the plywood floor in.&nbsp; We measured underneath to determine where the gas tank was (and then measured on the floor the same area) and screwed away from it.&nbsp; Once you have the floor in, you just anchor to it and make sure the screws are short enough to go into the wood floor and no further.&nbsp; Self tapping screws work for the ribs (never the shell/skin though) so you can anchor there too.&nbsp; Some people put boards across the ribs and then anchor to those too if they have to.<br><br>I actually plan to attach my bed to a bulkhead/divider wall, and a closet wall at the other end.&nbsp; The wall is anchored to the floor though with screws.&nbsp; You can probably do the same with the ribs on the walls of the van since you are going across the back.<br><br><br>Just dont do what i did, and buy the screws with a large hex head on them (all they had at the store here)...try to get the more flat kind so things are flush...

I used 4 x 4's and through bolted through the metal studs with 1/4 long bolts and then screwed the plywood every 6 inches. No sag what so ever. On the places that did not have 4 inches I cut a notch legnthwise on the 4 X 4.<br><br>I game mine 16 inch clearance to put stuff under.

thanks for the replys. I have carpet on the floor and padding under. do sure if there is plywood below that. I will have to cut into it where the bed is going and see.<br><br>Is it unwise to screw through the 3/4 inch bed surface down into the wheel wells?

I don't understand why you say osb is not plywood. Even if it is not, if it is strong enough to build a house, wouldn't a 3/4 inch thick piece 68"x32 be strong enough to top a frame for a bed?

OSB will get soft in the middle due to any humidity or wetness. Plywood will not. for the best and strongest, only get solid, no holes of voids. You only need two pieces and you can save what is left over for other projects, like wood under the wheels for leveling or tables.<br><br>James AKA Lynx