How to disconnect a back-up alarm?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AltTransBikes

Reaction score
Not a major problem here but a vexing one. After an inordinate amount of time looking over the van and searching online, I'm drawing a blank. The vehicle is a 2003, Dodge 3500 van. It's a former commercial duty transit vehicle so the alarm is very LOUD, not like the little beepers in the back-up bulb sockets. Any thoughts how to find the dang thing, I'd like to isolate it so I can choose if/when I want to use it. Thanks for any help.
SAM_0429.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_0429.JPG
    SAM_0429.JPG
    246.2 KB · Views: 11
Turn on the key but don't start engine. Lock the parking brake. Put it in reverse and craw under the rear bumper. Find the unit by hearing it. Cut the wire and install a plug so you can reconnect if you wish.

The back up alarm on my rig was activated at the tranny linkage on tranny. A switch was tripped when put in reverse.

I used a couple of wraps of duct tape to calm mine down.

If this was installed for a fleet vehicle, the logical place to make the connection for a backup alarm would be the backup lights. You might check to see if there is a lead wire coming off one of the wiring harnesses to the rear tail lights.

If the alarm drawls a lot of current it might have a switch at the linkage on the trans as DC Fuse says, because the fuse and line to the backup lights can't handle the heavy load. This can also be under the dash on the steering column if it has a column shifter. Hope this helps.

Yup, thanks everyone for the feedback.

This weekend I'll take Zil's cautious advice and look under the thing to locate the alarm device.

I think DC is right, it seems to be switched at the tranny. I pulled both the rear lens and couldn't see any connections at the light sockets.

AltTransBikes said:
I pulled both the rear lens and couldn't see any connections at the light sockets.

you won't see anything from the bulb side of the socket.

there will be a wire to the alarm that is split off from the wire going into the light socket...but it's likely wired into the swith under the stearing column.

Patrick46 said:
you won't see anything from the bulb side of the socket.

Yeah, I figured that much out, lol. Pretty sure now it's a switch at the tranny.