How thick does your mattress need to be?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AmieW

Reaction score
I already have one 3" memory foam mattress topper. I have a bad back, so I need good support. How many more inches do you think I would need to be comfortable?

Most people don't realize it, but a memory foam mattress is not pure memory foam all the way through.  It is a layer of memory foam bonded on top of regular mattress foam.  The two types work together.  A memory foam topper is intended to be put on top of a regular foam mattress.  I'm not sure multiple layers of memory foam will really give you a good, painless nights sleep.

Spend a little time at this site, reading up on the different kinds and densities of foam, and then consider ordering some regular upholster foam to go under your memory foam topper.

http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

Im using a queen size memory foam matters cut in half so six inches of foam but I think Im gonna put a stiff like yoga mat in between the layers cause its pretty mushy. But I never wake up with pressure points either so still figuring it out. All in all its comfy just a tad too soft

I'll second the foam factory, that's who I purchased from.

I'm a heavy guy, 300 lbs and special ordered my mattress. Have used it continuously for the last 9 months and going strong. On cheap foam, prolonged sitting on the edges will soon cause dips in the mattress, not so here. They have various types of foam and will make to your specs. They are great with helping you too, just give them a call.
Foam Factory http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

My Mattress
Twin 39" X 72"
25 year warranty
Base foam 5" LUX-HQ
Top foam 4" 5LB Memory
$258.99 Free shipping (I used their top of the line foams)

Lots of variables come into play here.

Basic #1 is enough to keep you off the plywood !

Now.....the variables.

Do you sleep on your side or back?

Do you like soft or firm?

Do you want to sit on it ?
And will your head hit the ceiling?

Some of the replies so far give you some idea of how others are using theirs.

What I did....(I sleep on my side and don't mind sinking in and like the warmth.)

I've been using memory foam since the late 80s when I finally gave up on air mattresses and waking up laying on the plywood and a blown mattress !

Mine is 9" , 6 layers of 1 1/2" . I did put a small closed cell foam camp mat between layer #2 and #3.
(This let me flip the mattress to achieve a little different amount of firmness .) I lean more towards soft than firm.

I also encased the whole thing in a (not bottom of the line) plastic mattress cover to keep the memory foam from absorbing moisture.

Also memory foam holds your heat very well so if you want to be , on more than in may be your choice.

I like very firm, and found the dense foam used for gym mats is perfect for me, covered in the same very tough vinyl and right on marine ply.

When not using a sleeping bag, a mattress cover under the sheeting.

Good as new 8+ years later, and I'm a very big guy, kids bouncing on it etc. Especially etc, no problems.

We have a full size IKEA bed frame with the flexible wood slats. Then we have a 21 year old double wide thermarest mattress. On top of that, we have a three inch memory foam topper. We've been using the two mattresses on various foundations while camping for the full 21 years. This combination is better than the 10 inch memory foam mattresses we use in the house.

Glad to see you getting into things!
Ted

My advice is to find an upholstery shop that has a good selection of foam and try a number of different firmnesses out.  Then determine the thickness by what is needed to keep you from bottoming out.  Hard and soft are very subjective.

-- Spiff

Get a natural latex firm to x x firm 3 inch not cheap but will do the job I am a back sleeper except when entertaining then I have never had a complaint.

comfort is overthought it took me a while to learn "how to sleep"
AmieW said:
I already have one 3" memory foam mattress topper. I have a bad back, so I need good support. How many more inches do you think I would need to be comfortable?

Thanks for all the info! I do tend to like firmer, but not too firm, so I'll look at the Foam Factory site to see what they have. I don't really want to take up enough room to have a twin-sized bed in there, so I'll measure things out depending on what kind of van I get and decide from there. I don't toss and turn a lot, and usually sleep on my side or on my back with my hands on my tummy, so a full half of my bed is unused at night.

BobBski said:
I'll second the foam factory, that's who I purchased from.

I'm a heavy guy, 300 lbs and special ordered my mattress.  Have used it continuously for the last 9 months and going strong.  On cheap foam, prolonged sitting on the edges will soon cause dips in the mattress, not so here.  They have various types of foam and will make to your specs.  They are great with helping you too, just give them a call.
Foam Factory http://www.thefoamfactory.com/

My Mattress
Twin 39" X 72"
25 year warranty
Base foam 5" LUX-HQ
Top foam 4" 5LB Memory
$258.99 Free shipping (I used their top of the line foams)

We are the same weight, and surprisingly have the exact same mattress.   I've used mine for 2 years and it's in the exact same condition as when it was brand new.   This is the best mattress I've ever had, in spite of the fact it seemed way too firm initially.   I get great support and it handles the temperature extremes very well.

My pop-up camper uses the dinette seat cushions for the mattress. They are moderately firm and only about 2/ 1/2" thick. Sleeping on those, my shoulders and hips contacted the boards underneath the cushions. Not very comfortable! I tried a 3" memory foam topper over the cushions; it was better, but not enough support, so I'd wake up with a back ache. Then I got a Thermarest Elk Camp self-inflating mattress and put it on top of the cushions. It's pretty close to perfection. The Elk Camp is 2 1/2" thick fully inflated. The beauty of it is, the amount of inflation is easily controlled, so if it is too firm I let a little air out until I like the feel.

Back/body issues, I would recommend mine (sealy postherpetic hybrid)...however you are looking for reasonably priced. Stores located in Phoenix and San Fran (does ship) highly recommended by others. https://www.tuftandneedle.com

I bought a low-end memory foam mattress-in-a-box for the van, it's the Signature Sleep Memoir sold at https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005A4OPPM/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1. It's the same ViaVachi used in his van build. Comfort was better than the box spring in my room but firmness varied with temperature and humidity.

When I have the money I'm buying a Purple Matress made by onpurple.com; even if it's only half as good as their claims it will be a huge improvement from the box spring I'm sleeping on now (with memory foam topper!). Quality Sleep is paramount to good health, high vibrancy, quality of life, and to becoming a better person so get the best mattress, pillows & sheets you can and clean them regularly.

Couple of thoughts. If you're a big/heavy person, get a thicker mattress like Bobski mentioned; I have a similar one from Bed in a Box and it works beautifully. But comfort is very individualized.

Regarding latex, I've had them in the past and they work well also, but now I have a latex allergy so it's a no go.

If you already have a foam mattress you like, grab an electric carving knife (or something like a serrated bread knife, and cut it down to size).

wagoneer said:
Get a natural latex firm to x x firm 3 inch not cheap but will do the job I am a back sleeper except when entertaining then I have never had a complaint.

Here I am, reading calmly along all about the different mattresses then this! Whoa! I didn't know if it was a mattress review or a resume'. [emoji38]

Just saying....

Anonymous.

Another advocate of foam factory.
Had been sleeping comfortably on 4" HD foam with a waterproof cover and cotton topper, recently things changed and I added another 3" that I already had.
I would have preferred 1.5", but this was free.
Trying a few and layering are the best advice IMHO.

I'm thin and a side sleeper with back issues if that helps.....